Phone rudeness

TiaraPrincess

Reaction score
I called to get simple information on health insurance, cost and when first available to take patients on a psychologist I have known a few years back. Anyway, so this person (I suppose is the secretary or receptionist--whatever) after asking if they accept health insurance and cost--she says, I have calls coming in, I am really busy. I am like, wtf are they on the phone for? Are they there just to pick up and hang up on people or something I dont' know off? I didn't apologize or anything. Do I have to? I just proceeded to ask my next question about next appointment visit they could take. Then she didn't know because she had to ask, so I said no thanks to calling back that I would if I could (after all the cost is 125 dollars for 45 minutes session and no insurance--crap). She just say oKay bye bye and hangs up. WTF? Why do people put me on hold or say they are fu--ing busy? Why do I have to care? Why is it my problem that there is another call or that she's busy? Isn't that THEIR job to answer your questions for however long it takes to get information?

sigh--this just pisses me off. Other patients can just call again or leave a f---ing message. I do the same if I want info that bad. Why isn't my call as important as the next f--ing call? I was just on the phone less than a minute. sign....I will stop rambling. Thanks for listening.

Now, I'll just shut the hell up. That call just made me ramble and b-tch up.

I know how you feel.. there are gota be rude people everywhere believe it or not. I know you hate it so do I.. Believe me I could be a real bitch when it comes with people that hungs up on me without giving me a chance to say what I wanted to say.... What you can do is you could go up there and yell in person like I do (Laughing) sometimes it does work that way. They really think they do not have time to take calls that are TDD Because, it wasted up all their time.. Well, that isn't our problem right? If they want their business going then they should take all callers. :)

Unfortunately, that's one of the constants of our lives...those annoying phone calls when we call someone and get hung up. Oftentimes, they will say they dont have time, they dont need anything, they dont accept calls from telemarketers... I hate calling back and having the opr tell them its a deaf person trying to make an appointment or find out about something...

They dont seem to realize it takes longer for us to complete a call because of their hang-ups, and maybe even costing us money if we're using a regular phone relay service.

I say... into the ocean with them!

Heh!

:rofl:@ DD abt throw in a ocean..

yea i dont blame u for that.. same thing i got plms with the phone, while my parents were at motel in mississippi, the front desk wont accpet me to call there and need talk my parents... they keep on wont accept then i called often.. so i got piss off!!!!! :pissed: i waited for my mom come home, i explained her abt that.. she got piss off and bitched at front desk now they accpet it.. whew!!!

At the hospital where I work at, I did speak with some people about how some people would hang up on relay calls and how infuritating it can be for some deaf people when that happens. It was interesting to see how some people reacted about that and at least they know something about it now.

i can say i DESPISE those who just *pick up* hello qq oh relay *click* without giving me a chance to say something that gets my blood BOILING -- i get really really angry and i call them back and give them a piece of my mind even if it meant having to get the relay to redial the same nbr 3-4-5 times to get a message through -- im just so sick and tired of this shit!

I've had it happen to my friend when she was ordering pizza years ago. She ordered pizza and the guy on the other line kept hanging up on her. The next day, I called and asked to speak with the manager. I explained the situation and how we didn't appreciate this being done to her. The manager humbly apologized and gave us a couple free pizzas for our next order. :)

VamPyroX said:
I've had it happen to my friend when she was ordering pizza years ago. She ordered pizza and the guy on the other line kept hanging up on her. The next day, I called and asked to speak with the manager. I explained the situation and how we didn't appreciate this being done to her. The manager humbly apologized and gave us a couple free pizzas for our next order. :)
oh yea.. it happened to me before 3 times.. i hate that..

I never had problem with that.. My husband orders pizza just fine.. He is hearing. :roll:

yea its easier if u have a hearie in the house to do the phone ordering or whatever Cmom altho its not really always appropriate -- us deafies CAN do business on the phone just like hearies -- just have to use the relay services but its really the hearies that needs to get a reality check! there ARE deaf and speech impaired folks that DO use the relay services! :roll:

i think im going to leave this thread alone -- it just gets my blood boiling over n over

Unfortunately, we do have alot of rude people in this world, who doesn't have alot of patient dealing with Deaf people over the phone...They sometimes makes lame excuess why they can't talk to this person right now and then hang up without giving them a chance to speak or whatever...Maybe I should start doing that to them....see how it would feel LOL

I had my share of those too in the past, and if they're going to act this rude then Ill call somewhere else...

I'd call back and give my best rendition of "speaking in tongues", making Jack Nicholson in "One Who Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" look namby pamby by comparison! :smash:

I've never had this happening to me before. Maybe this is because I try not to type long and long.

You could try request that the relay operators/agents to refrain from saying their usual messages like this is _____ Relay _____. Have you heard about the relay talking to a deaf person, blah, blah. Just request that they say this is _____. I'd like to order ____ and have it delivered to me at ______. I don't know if this will help to keep them on the line with you but try not to make them wait on you. Be sure to sound friendly/pleasant with your words.

Also it might be a good idea if you use TTY machines so that way your phone number will show up on their caller ID. I only know that AT&T does that, but not sure about the other relay services.

Fly Free said:
yea its easier if u have a hearie in the house to do the phone ordering or whatever Cmom altho its not really always appropriate -- us deafies CAN do business on the phone just like hearies -- just have to use the relay services but its really the hearies that needs to get a reality check! there ARE deaf and speech impaired folks that DO use the relay services! :roll:

i think im going to leave this thread alone -- it just gets my blood boiling over n over

Oh yea, I have the problem with phones.. Every time I call out like ordering something, or something I need to speak with, they always hung up on me, and I get fed up with it.. And I even bang the cordless phone or stomp the phone, my husband was like, "NO NO NO NO NO, NOT MY PHONE!". :Oops: So I just let my husband do it for me.

Thank you guys for responding. It really sucks. I have never had to call over and over again, but quiet a few times I had to call again once.

I just thought that the relay service should come up with a different way to introduce their calls. I use sprintrelayonline.com. I HATE ATT because they hange up if you don't respond fast to their questions, so I don't use theirs anymore. My TTY is cracked My mom accidentally dropped it to the floor. It'll cost me at least 70 dollars for repair plus the shipping *sigh*. The main phone is a cordless phone, so I have no way of having it reach the suction cups. I have to use it elsewhere or ask if there's a way to connect it to the jack. blah blah blah blah here goes....

*sigh* I have never called pizza yet. I don't want them knowing there's a deaf person living where I am. I should get over it, right? Although, there are times when I really want to just be alone and order pizza for myself LOL.

TweetyBird, I wish my mom was like you and bitch at people for me sometimes. She's all about being nice to people and that's fine, but when people give you crap sometimes--they really need to straighten up! Sometimes she takes blame for stupid things, and I am like "Gosh, let it go!"

I'm hearing and the first time I ever got a relay call, I was confused and didn't know what it was for. Luckily, the operator explained it nicely to me, so I didn't hang up. But I can guess a lot of people might just hang up if they don't know what it is for.

Now recently, I've seen TV commercials where they show the relay service used and they say "If you get a call like this, DO NOT hang up. It means a deaf or hard of hearing person is trying to contact you". Hopefully, some people will now understand and not hang up.

Tarafied said:
I'm hearing and the first time I ever got a relay call, I was confused and didn't know what it was for. Luckily, the operator explained it nicely to me, so I didn't hang up. But I can guess a lot of people might just hang up if they don't know what it is for.

Now recently, I've seen TV commercials where they show the relay service used and they say "If you get a call like this, DO NOT hang up. It means a deaf or hard of hearing person is trying to contact you". Hopefully, some people will now understand and not hang up.
I've had that same problem. I tried calling this person and this person freaked out thinking it was a law-enforcement official making the call. :eek:

I think it depends on the operator too. I've had some that sound obviously bored and monotone in their speaking which might lead some people to think it was salesperson or even a recorded message. Some have friendlier voices, which are better for relaying conversations.

Back