Phone question

I think straighttalk from walmart is kinda cheap but I also think cingular or boost mobile are as well not just the top 3 att sprint or verizon. Tmobiles a joke

You cannot say that for every location!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of them have areas where they are the best choice and areas where they are the worst. Just because T-Mobile does not work well where you are does not mean it is not the best choice in others!!!!!!!!!!!! Cell service is the same as real estate in that the key is location, location, location.

Straight Talk does not have a network of their own but agreements with the other providers of the towers, etc. They have a horrible reputation for anyone that wants to use beyond the minimum of data or in need of customer service.

If Verizon works out, I already have a Verizon Samsung phone, just needs service. Aside from my regular weekend plans, I have a trip to the Verizon store planned now.

I did my own researching this evening and found the FCC has a program called Lifeline and it's for low income people and people participating in one of several programs and medicaid is one of them (Virginia sent me a medicaid card that I never applied for since I wasn't able to due to low income, oddly enough) but being low income and in medicaid, I can get a smartphone from AT&T for $15 a month, which I was told is normal cell service that is rebated, so I'll be able to use unlimited data and can use IPrelay anywhere, even if I'm late for class or if I'm able to finally land a job or break down and need help since it has 4G LTE and I can run Ingress on it. :)

Going to try applying for it tomorrow, hope I can get this, it's just the right price. :)

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/articles-resources/community-support/lifeline-link-up.jsp

You cannot say that for every location!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of them have areas where they are the best choice and areas where they are the worst. Just because T-Mobile does not work well where you are does not mean it is not the best choice in others!!!!!!!!!!!! Cell service is the same as real estate in that the key is location, location, location.

Straight Talk does not have a network of their own but agreements with the other providers of the towers, etc. They have a horrible reputation for anyone that wants to use beyond the minimum of data or in need of customer service.

My bad. Good point.

I did my own researching this evening and found the FCC has a program called Lifeline and it's for low income people and people participating in one of several programs and medicaid is one of them (Virginia sent me a medicaid card that I never applied for since I wasn't able to due to low income, oddly enough) but being low income and in medicaid, I can get a smartphone from AT&T for $15 a month, which I was told is normal cell service that is rebated, so I'll be able to use unlimited data and can use IPrelay anywhere, even if I'm late for class or if I'm able to finally land a job or break down and need help since it has 4G LTE and I can run Ingress on it. :)

Going to try applying for it tomorrow, hope I can get this, it's just the right price. :)

Lifeline - Wireless from AT&T

Cool ill look up the program for my relatives hopefully itll be ok for them.

Cool ill look up the program for my relatives hopefully itll be ok for them.

Seems most carriers have it, but a weird thing I found was that Virgin Mobile didn't have a deaf plan at all and will charge you for talk minutes, despite not being able to use them. I told them I thought that was more than a little f**ked up and I wasn't going to do business with them.

But I digress, it seems AT&T and Verizon are my best bets, AT&T apparently will let you get a smartphone, which you can use IPrelay app on, while Virgin Mobile gives you a crappy 00's qwerty sliding keyboard phone.

Going to the Verizon store this weekend to see if I can't get signed up and reuse this old Verizon Samsung Droid Charge since it is a 4G LTE device.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Seems most carriers have it, but a weird thing I found was that Virgin Mobile didn't have a deaf plan at all and will charge you for talk minutes, despite not being able to use them. I told them I thought that was more than a little f**ked up and I wasn't going to do business with them.

But I digress, it seems AT&T and Verizon are my best bets, AT&T apparently will let you get a smartphone, which you can use IPrelay app on, while Virgin Mobile gives you a crappy 00's qwerty sliding keyboard phone.

Going to the Verizon store this weekend to see if I can't get signed up and reuse this old Verizon Samsung Droid Charge since it is a 4G LTE device.

You realize the $35 Virgin Mobile plan is unlimited data and text??

It's far cheaper than any deaf plans. That is why my husband and many deaf people I know have gone to Virgin Mobile.

:lol: You don't have to use the 300 voice minutes...

been watching this thread...some interesting info that I'll have to tuck away- I may have to switch carriers or something to reduce MY costs too...

One friend is struggling paycheck to paycheck (for a myriad of reasons...most of them not fun...) but unfortunately has to have international calling on their plan because the hubby sails into international waters and travels to Alaska regularly. Their last few bills have been ASTRONOMICAL-- when it shouldn't be (yes they've been battling them for the last 6 months at least over that...). Unfortunately AT&T is the only carrier they CAN use for their needs right now.

Talk about monopoly...and gouging the customer...

I am pretty sure Saavik has no problem speaking but I am not sure about the others that have joined this thread. I have had a loss for many years but am considered "late deafened" in the sense that it came after I learned to talk. I very much prefer to use my voice. Thus I have more interest in CapTel than iprelay.

Have you looked at the app from Hamilton? I am currently using their mobile app with a low end Android phone that is on Pure Talk (an AT&T MVNO). But it works with virtually any phone/provider combination that will give you simultaneous voice and data.

Please throughly read the information on their site: Hamilton CapTel: Smartphone: Apps for Smartphones? The use of a headset that they refer to just comes in handy to know when the other person stops talking after their greeting at the start of the conversation so that you can say something to keep them from hanging up while you are reading the rest of their greeting. You do not have to understand what they are saying.

The other version of CapTel for mobile phones is by Sprint but runs on any network that is fast enough. "The Wireless CapTel by Sprint app requires a network connection with high enough bandwidth and low enough latency to reliably process a voice-over-IP call. It is highly recommended that use of this app be done in conjunction with connection through a 4G or Wi-Fi network. Attempting to use a 3G connection is not recommended." When it first came out they said it worked on a 3G network. What I then found was that the voice of the person using the app cut in and out badly. There is a lot of detail available at their site Wireless CapTel by Sprint | Sprint CapTel

I am not connected with either — just a user! Feel free to ask questions here or PM me.

ATT has an UNLIMITED plan that includes data for only $40 a month. I have friends that have the same plan and some are as low as $35 a month... you have to go to ATT and talk with them, not at one of those cracker jack boxes.

you can only get 4G in a 4G covered area... and you say you are in a primarily 3G area...its a waste.

you can only get 4G in a 4G covered area... and you say you are in a primarily 3G area...its a waste.

She can use the phone with either and it has the advantage of being something she already has. Why buy another phone if this one works? And being 4G capable she will get the faster connection if she travels to an area that has it.

Back