Phonak Naida V UP

jocala

Reaction score
I've got mild to moderate hearing loss in both ears. I'm considering a pair of used Phonak Naida V UP aids that I can get for ~450. I realize these are older devices, but I wonder if they might work for me. I'm currently trying some Liberty ENC32 aids and I like em, but $2000, sheesh.

Will audiologists fit used hearing aids? And can the V UP use open fit tubing rather than a custom ear mold? And is $450/pair a fair price in 2014?

Thank you!

Phonak Naida UPs are for severe to profound hearing loss. If you have mild to moderate loss they are going to be much too powerful for you and likely to result in further damage to your hearing. Even Naida SPs are for moderately severe to profound loss. My advice is find something else much more suited to your hearing loss! They are also generally used with a custom ear mould, so if it is a small open fit hearing aid you are looking for, these are not the right ones for you. You might also find that the internal noise generated by the hearing aids' powerful amplifiers would be irritating to you, although it would be unnoticed by those with a loss for whom these aids were intended. Furthermore, I would imagine any audiologist you took them to for programming would question why you are wanting to use, what is effectively, the most powerful hearing aids on the market for only a mild to moderate loss.

Also, Naida UPs have a frequency range of 100-4900 Hz, whereas hearing aids for mild to moderate loss generally go up as far as 8000 Hz. This is because most people with severe to profound loss have little or no high frequency hearing and would not benefit from the extended frequency range. Another reason, perhaps, why a different hearing aid would be better for you, especially if your loss is mostly in the high frequencies.

Last edited:
I agree. Even if the audi can turn down the volume, you're still going to be spending more on batteries. I would think the lower power Naida would even cost less.

You shouldn't even look in to the Naida range with a mild to moderate loss. Naida range is way too powerful even the Naida SP. If you do buy them, a good audiologist should question why you want them as your hearing is way too good! No audiologist should program them for you. All you'll hear is the internal workings of the hearing aid which you'll find annoying.

if you have a mild-to moderate loss, Phonak has some awesome options for you (they have nice RICS and BTES here too)
I have a friend who's getting the Bolero Q90 soon. *her loss is moderate to moderately severe but it can still be a cute option for you too*

Back