Phonak Naida V UP questions

rweigle

Reaction score
My new Naidas have three manual program options plus the default automatic one. I have one manual program set for music, another for T-Coil, and the third is a mute, I am at a quagmire about how to have the audi configure the last manual program for me. Any suggestions?

My second question is related to my perception that the "voice" of another person in a mildly noisy place like a resturant sounds a bit tinny. I understand the voice much better than in the past whereas before I would not have been have been able to. The automatic compression feature might be the culprit here. I am thinking this is the "state of the art" now where the voice of a person speaking may be understood but somewhat altered compared to hearing the same voice in a static quiet environment. Is this a correct perception?

Thanks all,
L 500 65 R 500 50
L 1K 75 R 1K 90
L 2K 85 R 2K 85
L 4K 85 R 4K 90
L 8K 90 R 8K 90

SPEECH DISCRIMINATION R/L 65db 84 %
Naida 5 UP ICom TVlink Platronic Voyager 500A

My programs are set for me as follows:

Auto (soundflow mode)
1.speech in noise
2.tcoil
3.fm+mic (I use an fm transmitter for meetings, phone use, etc.)
4.mute

I used to have music mode instead of tcoil, but elected to reactivate it because of my new neckloop/bluetooth device I am getting in a couple of weeks.

Regarding you second question, it can be....but I would still try to adjust in one of your modes and create a mode specifically for this type of listening scenario. I use my speech in noise with forward microphones only and noiseblock set to strong.

I have Savia Arts which might be similar. I have:

1: speech in noise
2: music
3: t-coil (I don't use this much; phone voices are still nearly unintelligible for me)
4: comfort in noise. I use this last one when driving in the convertible with top down; it mutes the wind noise while still allowing me to hear a bit of the radio, other traffic noise, a police siren, that sort of thing.

Yes, speech in noise can sound a bit tinny. It took a while to get used to it, but eventually I did and just accepted that as the "new normal."

I have the IX's so I have an extra program. Mine are:
Auto
Zoom (right or left)
Mute
Echo block (speech in noise type)
T-coil

How does the zoom work? Do you like it?
If you click on the left HA, then the right HA's mic turns off and vice-versa. I haven't used it much, but it seems to work well. Situations you might use it would be like in the car, "turn off" the mic on the side of the window so you can hear the conversations in the car. At a restaurant, if you're sitting next to someone (rather than across from them), you could zoom to your dining companion.

I figured I'd get the IX's (since I had the $$) in case any of the extra features might come in hand in the future (hope to keep these HAs at least 5 years).

It's slightly more than turning off one side otherwise you could do the same thing by muting one side (which I often do in that kind of situation) - if you want to focus to the left side, the right side mic is attenuated but not entirely muted, so you still have some input from the right but not a lot. At the same time, the information received in the left hearing aid is streamed across into the right side too, so you are effectively getting two copies of the information that is coming from your left. You will lose any sense of where things are coming from (if you have it!) while zoom is activated, but will hear the person on your left in both ears.

It's slightly more than turning off one side otherwise you could do the same thing by muting one side (which I often do in that kind of situation) - if you want to focus to the left side, the right side mic is attenuated but not entirely muted, so you still have some input from the right but not a lot. At the same time, the information received in the left hearing aid is streamed across into the right side too, so you are effectively getting two copies of the information that is coming from your left. You will lose any sense of where things are coming from (if you have it!) while zoom is activated, but will hear the person on your left in both ears.
Thank you for that "correction". Like I said, I don't use it much, but, yeah, I remember now that the sound does come into both ears. As to muting just one HA, my HAs are programmed where the control on either HA controls both HAs. I have the volume separate because of the difference between the hearing loss in each ear.

How do you like your Nadias for listening to music in the car? Mine are terrible for that. Well, I should say - they are GREAT for listening to the radio so long as the car is not moving. But once I actually drive - ay yi yi. They switch around from one program to another trying to find the right match, but they never just stay put in one program. VERY annoying as they bounce around from one to the next. I have to just pick a program (usually "music") and stick with it, but even "music" is not great, as it picks up all the deep rumble from the tires, the engine noise, surrounding traffic, etc.

I'd love to find something that would be better in that difficult environment.

How do you like your Nadias for listening to music in the car? Mine are terrible for that. Well, I should say - they are GREAT for listening to the radio so long as the car is not moving. But once I actually drive - ay yi yi. They switch around from one program to another trying to find the right match, but they never just stay put in one program. VERY annoying as they bounce around from one to the next. I have to just pick a program (usually "music") and stick with it, but even "music" is not great, as it picks up all the deep rumble from the tires, the engine noise, surrounding traffic, etc.

I'd love to find something that would be better in that difficult environment.
I don't have a problem. Mine go into "speech-in-noise" mode and I then turn the vol up some. You should be able to get your audi to make adjustments. Just let her/him know what you're experiencing. If s/he doesn't know how to "fix it", then s/he should call her/his Phonak rep for help. That's what my audi does.

Just curious, did you have REM testing done when you got your HAs?

I don't think so. Would I know it if she did it? It's been a while since these were fitted - a few years, actually.

She did her best to make adjustments and she called Phonak to try to figure out the best parameters for this, and apparently the Phonak rep herself said that car radios were the hardest thing to adjust for. It also doesn't help that my car of preference in summer is my convertible. :lol:

The music program on the aids is very good. We go to the ballet a lot and I really like it in that setting.

I'm just wondering if the Naidas that you and others have mentioned are considered a step up from what the Savias used to be. I notice that the Savias aren't even mentioned on the Phonak site any more, so I guess they have been overtaken by something else.

Do you turn the volume on the radio up some, or the volume of your aids? Or both?

I don't think so. Would I know it if she did it? It's been a while since these were fitted - a few years, actually.

She did her best to make adjustments and she called Phonak to try to figure out the best parameters for this, and apparently the Phonak rep herself said that car radios were the hardest thing to adjust for. It also doesn't help that my car of preference in summer is my convertible. :lol:

The music program on the aids is very good. We go to the ballet a lot and I really like it in that setting.

I'm just wondering if the Naidas that you and others have mentioned are considered a step up from what the Savias used to be. I notice that the Savias aren't even mentioned on the Phonak site any more, so I guess they have been overtaken by something else.

Do you turn the volume on the radio up some, or the volume of your aids? Or both?
You could look at Phonak's site, but Naida UP are for profound loss/ I don't think Savia had a model for profound.

If you are thinking of new, you should make sure the aid specs accommodate your loss.

Apparently not all audi's do REM testing. My previous one did not. My current one does (was one of the things I asked about as I "shopped" for a new audi). The HAs are usually "fitted" by what the audi keys in from your hearing test. This is not always how the HAs should be set. With the REM test, the audi sticks a thin ?tube? into the ear with the earmold and then you face the "machine" and it will detect what you are hearing (something like that). For me it showed that I was getting too much bass (I have low and high freq loss). The audi was able to adjust my HAs based on this. This took care of a problem I had noticed with my previous aids (but never got around to telling my old audi about) and my Naidas. I would be sitting in my dining room and could hear bass sounds (voices) in addition to "normal" voices coming from the TV in the nearby living room.

I turn up the volume on the radio, not my HAs in the car. For music, not that much, for talk a bit more.

And as Botti says, the Naidas are "power" aids. On Phonaks website you can find the fitting ranges for the HAs.

Stats on the Savia 411 model come out pretty similar to the Naida. Plenty of audis here still trying to offload Savias to new customers.

I'm in the severe range, almost down to profound. I've worn HAs for almost 30 years now.

My former audi must have done that REM test; she put a tiny wire into my ear along with the ear mold to measure what I was hearing. She was excellent; unfortunately for me (but nice for her) she moved to Sarasota several years ago.

My newer audi (and I've been seeing her for about 10 years now) seems to keep up with things ok, but she does not do that REM testing.

I maybe need to shop around a bit and try out some different people here. It's easy to just get in the habit of seeing one person and just taking what they recommend.

Rose, why do you say "offload?" Do you not like the Savias?

Savia Art 411

dB
30 40 50 60 70 80 100 P in dB SPL
P out dB SPL
2 cm3
coupler data
ANSI S3.22-1996
Input / Output characteristics at 2000 Hz
Full-on-gain
Reference test gain
2 cm3
coupler data
Output sound pressure level
(Input 90 dB SPL) Maximum HFA
131 dB SPL <134 dB SPL 127 dB SPL
Frequency response
Full-on-gain
(Input 90 dB SPL)
Acoustic gain
(Input 50 dB SPL) Maximum HFA RTG
70 dB 62 dB 50 dB
Frequency response
Full-on-gain
(Input 50 dB SPL)
Reference test gain
(Input 60 dB SPL)

Naida III UP

UltraPower
Performance profile
Maximum Power Output (dB SPL) 2 cc coupler
Ear Simulator
Maximum gain (dB) 2 cc coupler
Ear Simulator
Frequency range – 2 cc coupler (Hz)
Frequency range – Ear Simulator (Hz)
Battery size
Working current (mA)
SuperPower/UltraPower
Design-integrated FM receiver
(WaterResistant)
Universal FM receivers
FM Transmitters
Programming
1. Switch iCube on and check the Bluetooth connection
to the computer (blue LED blinking slowly).
2. Put the neckloop around the customers neck and
connect to the iCube.
3. Check the connection between the hearing
instruments and iCube by pressing the button of the
iCube (middle LED lights up for 3 seconds).
1. Flip open the cover for the programming socket.
2. Connect the programming plug into the socket. Use
the programming cable CS-44 A (Phonak version) only.
CableFree Fitting with iCube
Via Cable (NOAHlink, HI-PRO)
Naída I UP
HE7/HE7 680
142/135
144/139
82/75
85/80
<100 – 4900
<100 - 5000
Naída III UP dAZ
HE7/HE7 680
142/135
144/139
82/75
85/80
<100 – 4900
<100 - 5000

Looks a bit different from Savia 411 to Naida I or III to me.

I only have 1 hearing aid so can't use the Zoom feature with my Naida (you need 2 hearing aids for it), but my audie (after calling a Phonak Rep for help) was able to come up with a noise setting for me. So I have:
Normal
1: speech-in-noise
2: telecoil

that's it. I haven't programmed the other 2 options.

I may be buying a Phonak Naida IX Ultrapower. How long has this hearing aid been in the market? Is there an second alternative for the power or ultra power users?

Back