Phonak Nadia V UP on trial

Reaction score
So I can no longer hear anything out of my Nadia Q SP. My hearing decided to go down, then it went back up but didn't stay up, and at this point it is definitely not coming back to my baseline levels. Brilliant audiologist (sarcasm) put a program on that hearing aid at a lower volume for hearing "on my good days", at which point I told her I wasn't even getting enough power at the max volume. Well that hearing aid is no good for me anymore (the hearing aid is 8 months old and has been through functional tests so it is not the hearing aid)!

The last step in hearing aid trials for me is the Phonak UP model. I was given the Nadia V UP to try because that's the demo hearing aid that they have. The Q's and the V's etc are all the same with regard to power output and decibel input so I doubt trailing a Q would make any difference over the V. The only other option I see available is the Oticon SUMO and I had done very well with the Phonak brand- after 15 years of analog aids. The transition to the Phonak was almost seamless for me, something I could not believe when I could hear with my Naida Q SP.

The UP gives me a small amount of power but it is not enough. I have been struggling to hear speech face to face with the UP. Environmental sounds I can hear though they too sound very quiet. Most peoples voices sound like a quiet whisper; some peoples voices I cannot hear at all, and speaking louder does not help my understanding. Making it louder at the initial programming session just created feedback, although it did make things a little more audible comfortable the feedback wouldn't let up. I'm certain my speech discrimination has dropped from my last hearing test, which was already low to begin with- and possibly tones in other frequencies but as to how much I'll have to wait until my test.

Is it worth getting all kinds of adjustments to the Nadia V UP at this point, given what I have described? While it might crank a bit more power out, it's not going to help my speech understanding be that functional, maybe only by a slight margin but not enough for it to be functional for anything beyond a 1:1 situation, if any. There is also the issue of it getting feedback if I add power. I plan on going through CI evaluation with the hearing aid settings on as they are right now. I am SO frustrated with my audiologist at this point, I mean how much can a hearing aid help functionally if I can barely hear 1:1 speech, and how much does it take for them to be "convinced" that I'm struggling if the UP isn't giving me much? Ugggggh!

The Naida Q UP is actually quite a bit stronger than the old Naida Core series, though I doubt the additional power will help you in any way as it's mostly in the higher frequency ranges.

Naida HAs come in three flavors: Core (just "Naida", as these are the originals), Spice/Spice+ ("Naida S") and Quest ("Naida Q"). The Naida V is a Core, model V (the midrange option).

The equivalent Spice+ model would be Naida S V UP, and the equivalent Quest model is Naida Q50 UP.

Really, to me it sounds like you should persue a CI as your loss is just too high to not have HA feedback and recruitment if the volume is high enough for you to comprehend anything. I was in a similar place and a CI was a great improvement for me. CIs don't have feedback and don't need earmolds -- you won't be squeaking all over the place and making people look at you funny. Personally, I can hear much better out of my CI than any HA I've used.

Yup even if we increased the volume again it'd give me feedback like it did last time. My old hearing aid was a Q50 so I guess that's pretty equal footing except for the slight increase in volume. My audi didn't see the point of a Q70 or Q90 because many of the fancier features require binaural hearing which I do not have. The additional power is nice for overall sound but makes processing speech harder, as if it weren't impossible in most situations already.

Getting a CI is a big decision but now, I feel confident in it. I'm counting the days until my CI evaluation at this point.

Back