Phonak Nadia and Cell phone

goldpony

Reaction score
I hope I'm not alone here. I have this hearing aids for almost a year since my last one finally gave in. I'm having some issue with this hearing aids. My old hearing aids it has a t-coil and when I talk on the cell phone, the back ground noises are completely turn off. Now with this hearing aids, when I talk on the cell phone with Compilot, I can hear all the background noises. I have talk to my audiologist about turning the background noise off while I'm on the cell. She told me that she can't do that and she was trying to tell me that it's against the laws. Against the Laws!!?? I have never heard such absurd statement. Is this true?! Then why all these years that I've been talking on the cell with my t-coil while the background noises turned because illegal?? I lived in Texas. Can anyone help me out here?? If it's not illegal then I need to find someone who can help me. I have gone back several time to have the volume turn up. I can hear loud and clear while I'm not in the vehicle but when I'm in the vehicle, I'm hearing the road!!!! I can hardly hear of what my husband was saying.
Thank in advance.

She should be able to adjust the phone-to-background noise ratio so that you do not hear the background noise. If she doesn't know how or refuses, either contact Phonak yourself or find another audiologist.
You might also want to visit hearingaidforums.com and get advise there.

Also, one of your program slots could be set to t-coil. I use mine set to t-coil for our hearing assistance system at church. I do use an additional neckloop connected to the receiver that is part of the church's system.

I am not sure just what my Compilot does when paired with my cell phone. I cannot understand in any situation without being able to supplement sound with lip reading. Whatever it is doing I am getting both the sound of what the other person is saying and captions because of an app. The Compilot picks up my voice and sends it to the cell phone without me having to move the phone close to my mouth from where I can read the captions.

I have the same setup as you. Your audio can turn up the in call volume, I had the same problem for a while. Got everything adjusted now, works fine.

I hope I'm not alone here. I have this hearing aids for almost a year since my last one finally gave in. I'm having some issue with this hearing aids. My old hearing aids it has a t-coil and when I talk on the cell phone, the back ground noises are completely turn off. Now with this hearing aids, when I talk on the cell phone with Compilot, I can hear all the background noises. I have talk to my audiologist about turning the background noise off while I'm on the cell. She told me that she can't do that and she was trying to tell me that it's against the laws. Against the Laws!!?? I have never heard such absurd statement. Is this true?! Then why all these years that I've been talking on the cell with my t-coil while the background noises turned because illegal?? I lived in Texas. Can anyone help me out here?? If it's not illegal then I need to find someone who can help me. I have gone back several time to have the volume turn up. I can hear loud and clear while I'm not in the vehicle but when I'm in the vehicle, I'm hearing the road!!!! I can hardly hear of what my husband was saying.
Thank in advance.

Plain and simple, your audi does not know what she is talking about. Talk to another audiologist or have your audi call Phonak while you are there and find out how to do what she says can't be done.

My husband had told me recently that he had noticed the different from my old hearing aids and this one. He told me that it seems like I can hardly hear him while in the truck unlike my old one. I've been seeing this audiologist like 3 times already. I have asked her to turn the volume up some more and cut the background noise way down or something. Why is this Phonak different from the old one?? I just don't get it. My old one had a T-coil and this one doesn't. Does it matter?? What am I missing here?? How do I get my audiologist to do what I ask her to do??? It's my hearing aids and my hearing.
Thanks..

Your Naidas should have the t-coil and may just need to have one of the program's set to t-coil.
There is also a program for speech in noise. Mine automatically goes into that in noisy places. However, it does also lessen the voices, so speech is not as loud/crisp. Maybe this is what you are experiencing. Your audi should be able to make adjustments to that also. If she doesn't know how then she needs to get a Phonak rep on the phone to help her. My audi has called Phonak a number of times to help her adjust my hearing aids.
Another help, if she has the equipment, is REM (real ear measurement). This lets her see what the hearing aid is outputting.

You need a, "Mike off" setting for your t-coil program. Also, your t-coil is probably positioned in such a way that a neck loop must contact the aid to get the signal(depending on whether the loop is powered or not).

So, first try putting the loop over your ear, resting on the aid. Then try to have the audiologist adjust the program to mike off.

I recently used a neck loop at a museum interpreted event, other than the look of me wearing the loop, it was a positive experience. The sound quality was good when my mike was off.

My Audi and I have a great relationship. She and I work together to make sure I hear the best I possibly can. If either of us are not sure of something, she is on the phone with Phonak asking their Reps regarding my Naidas Q50 UPs.

Not only that, we learn from each other. My constant research of hearing aids and gathering information from people on AllDeaf has made me more aware of the new technology and hearing aid features on the market. I share that information with her. And she does the same for me based on what she has learned from other clients she sees.

I have T-coil for phone and it only focuses on the phone, any and all background noises are "Mic Off'. It's not against the law, your Audi does not know what the hell she's talking about.

My suggestion is, shop around for a better audiologist. She is not the only one around town. Find someone who will listen and work with you. Someone you can connect with. I've jumped around with a few Audiologist for a while until I got the one I currently have. Been going to her for the last 5+ years and I am very happy with her.

Back