Phonak iCom / Smartlink questions

ljjehl

Reaction score
Has anybody had any issues with the DAI connection on the FM receiver w/shoe (bending, breaking connections?)

I'm considering switching from the custom ML10i receiver on my Phonak Naida UP to the iCom w/FM receiver. I like that I can connect to both ears with the iCom, which I think will help me hear more clearly when talking on the cell phone, playing music, etc.

How about any Smartlink users that switched to iCom?? I would love to hear about your experiences....I still want to use a FM transmitter for meetings, etc....

Any response, positive and negative, will be appreciated, as I really want my equipment to last a while.....

I forgot to add, I'd like to get your comments by this coming Wednesday, as I have an appointment with my audiologist and need some ammunition to plead my case, as I also get help from my State DARS agency. THANKS!!!
Thanks!!

Last edited:
Never had issue with my DAI boot breaking or actually DAI. I did like the compatability when I desired to use the FM system for a college class last year

Thanks Doug, I appreciate your reply. Since this was a DAI plug I was worried about, I would not want it to fall off....not a cheap item to replace.

yeah, DAI plug shouldn't have problem if taken care of and put away safe, I see your concerns.

I research my future equipment as if it is a cell phone or laptop....I look at the durability of it. Sometimes you don't have that in "bleeding edge" technology, so treating it like gold usually is the way to go.

I have a Hatis dual-earpiece headphones that I have used in the past. the DAI male connections have not messed up, but the socket has loosened up, which gives me the thinking of losing the FM receiver after a little while. It might be best to keep it in the socket so it won't get lost.....or like you said....put it away safe until I need to use it.

The newer Phonak FM receivers ( Phonak hearing systems - FM receivers ) are built in the battery compartment, so Phonak eliminated that problem. The link is from Denmark, only linked it to show the description of ML10i, unless you know Dutch, just look at the pictures :)

I research my future equipment as if it is a cell phone or laptop....I look at the durability of it. Sometimes you don't have that in "bleeding edge" technology, so treating it like gold usually is the way to go.

I have a Hatis dual-earpiece headphones that I have used in the past. the DAI male connections have not messed up, but the socket has loosened up, which gives me the thinking of losing the FM receiver after a little while. It might be best to keep it in the socket so it won't get lost.....or like you said....put it away safe until I need to use it.

The newer Phonak FM receivers ( Phonak hearing systems - FM receivers ) are built in the battery compartment, so Phonak eliminated that problem. The link is from Denmark, only linked it to show the description of ML10i, unless you know Dutch, just look at the pictures :)

No Dutch dang it-- I wish. But I will review for future ideas or possible troubleshooting

I just had the privilege to have a test drive of the iCom today at my audiologist's office.

The iCom in itself does connect in stereo, and the sound is very clear. I trialed with both music and phone communications.

Regarding the FM connection to the iCom, I was not able to test drive that portion. The Phonak Representative that let me test drive it said the FM receiver to connect on the iCom can not be manipulated to satisfy my hearing demands as opposed to having two FM receivers on each aid, whether Naida or Exelia. She said the 2 FM receivers each can be manipulated to work well for each ear, but the single DAI FM receiver on the iCom was simply a receiver to receive the sounds from the transmitter. I currently have only 1 FM receiver (ML10i). I'm currently using the Smartlink SX transmitter.

I'm not 100% sure how good using a microphone from a bluetooth device such as a cell phone, other that the distance is short. I'm still trying to make up my mind whether or not I want to have the iCom or 2 FM receivers.

My main question remain: whether to get the iCom and have only one FM receiver, or get a second FM receiver, to have what I want to have additional hearing for both ears. To plead my case, I have to have a way to connect to both ears, so either 2 FM receivers (bluetooth on transmitter, mono sound) or iCom (no FM for Icom, only on FM receiver, stereo in both ears w/bluetooth only)

I will be making a good decision my Monday morning, so if there's anybody else willing to divulge some of their experiences regarding the iCom with-w/o FM, please let me and the group know...Thanks!!

Back