Phonak Ambra CIC hearing aids

Darrenh1984

Reaction score
Hi, I thought i'd post on here to gather as much info as I can regarding these CIC hearing aids which have caught my interest. I'm currently using nhs Naida sp hearing aids which are ok but I'm after an option which will be water resistant(I sweat a lot around my ears during heavy working/ exercise etc)
Has anyone got any on this site?
Many thanks:wave:

Hi, I thought i'd post on here to gather as much info as I can regarding these CIC hearing aids which have caught my interest. I'm currently using nhs Naida sp hearing aids which are ok but I'm after an option which will be water resistant(I sweat a lot around my ears during heavy working/ exercise etc)
Has anyone got any on this site?
Many thanks:wave:

I thought it was the Naidas that were water resistant, not the Ambras? I just had the Ambra SP's, but traded them for Naida UPs, have no idea why my auid ordered the Ambras for me, my loss is too much for them. But they were nice :)

CICs aren't very powerful. My best advice is experiment with the different aids. You'll be surprised at the differnence in speech perception between a dinky aid and a BTE.

Thanks again for the feedback! May serious reconsider against getting this type of hearing aid, looking for constant problems with it being repaired. Has anyone got a spare nhs hearing aid as a back up should yours go wrong? Wonder if I ask my clinic about being able to buy a spare! Thanks

I have 2 spare but I had to keep asking for them. They normally say, well just come in and we will swap them over right away :)

Oh yeah the dinky aids are definitly more prone to breakage and tend not to last as long............go with BTEs...they are more durable and last longer!

There is the Ambra M H2O that has a better water resistant rating then the Naida but it does not include the CIC, ITE, P BTE or the SP BTE from what I can see.

http://www.phonak.com/content/dam/p..._Ambra_Solana_Cassia_M_H2O_V1.00_029-1062.pdf

The original Naida is resistant to sprinklings of water, like walking out in the rain. The H2O is resistant to running water and temporary immersion so swimming broadly above the water but ducking your head under every now and then is OK, as is running it under the tap. Going snorkelling is not recommended as it's continuous immersion, diving is out because the depth is too much. They are very cagey about where the line is to be drawn, if you can immerse for up to 30 minutes how long between immersions? Technically you could say OK I'll put it under for 29 minutes, surface for 1 second then go back under for 29 minutes.

There is currently no Cassia/Solana/Ambra P H2O or SP H2O, so although it's across the technology range it is not across the body shape range, it's only ones where the casing is that particular shape.

As it stands any existing or newly purchased Naida UP is rated resistent to splashes and incidental contact with water - rain and sprinklers. It's not rated for someone to chuck a bucket of water at you because they think they are hilarious, nor for some idiot at a party to push you in a pool.

The new Naida SPICE has a better water resistant rating then the Naida CORE (which is from the NHS still).

The CIC wont be enough for your hearing loss if you are currently wearing Naidas. have you tried a dry aid kit?
Someone mentioned the M H2O it is a decent option but again wont be powerful enough most likely. I wear the Solana SP and I have been told that sooner than later they will be coming out with more options in H2O. I would wait for their fall launch before I made any decisions!

Ok good. I hope they make something as powerful as the Naida UP in h2o casing with the water resistant / proof rating. I would want it.

I am not suree of what hearing aids they will be coming out with I just know they will be adding a few more to the BTE H2O line :) I look forward to getting a set also!

Has anyone got a spare nhs hearing aid as a back up should yours go wrong? Wonder if I ask my clinic about being able to buy a spare!

I live in Birmingham and asked about keeping my old NHS analogue HAs as spares when first fitted with digitals. They point blank said NO, even though the analogues probably went straight in the bin as soon as I left the place, after all who would they be giving old analogue HAs to when they were in the process of issuing everyone with digitals!

Even as a kid I wasn't allowed spare HAs, so I doubt you'll get a spare out of them, even if you offer to pay for it, but good luck if you try asking for one.

Also CIC aids would be pretty useless to you if you currently wear Naidas, CIC are nowhere near powerful enough for anyone who has more than a mild hearing loss.

lol I know many people that were allow to keep their analogue aids as yet would of only out them in the bin.

lol I know many people that were allow to keep their analogue aids as yet would of only out them in the bin.

Must be the postcode lottery. Here in Birmingham there seems to be no coloured HAs or spares available on the NHS.

Must be the postcode lottery. Here in Birmingham there seems to be no coloured HAs or spares available on the NHS.

Couldn't agree more! Nhs hearing centres are poor in Birmingham! Staff seem inexperienced and you have to wait nearly 2 weeks to get a hearing aid repair appointment! This reason is why I'm considering private hearing care.

Back