Pets overpopluation (USA or Europe)

Here's a couple questions...

What's the human population like in Turkey... a lot or a few?

What's the community like... huge cities or small towns?

Total Population: 71,892,808 (estimated July 2008)
Istanbul - 10,291,102
Ankara - 5,019,167
Kugadası - approximately 50,000... usually rise over to 500,000 in summer due to tourism season

Turkey is a combo of few large cities and few large towns and bunch of small towns.

I don't know if it's really all that differant. The problem stems from people buying pets, then the pet overstays their welcome. In Western countries they end up in Shelters. In developing countries they end up on the street. When I went to Greece their were a lot of animals wondering about. Also in Egypt. In some ways I think those that don't end up in good no kill shelters are probably worse off since they will just get killed within 7 days of being brought in. This is why I prefere the no kill shelters that make more effort to find the animal homes.

If we want to cerb this problem we have to think before getting a new pet. We should also get it from a shelter rather then just buying it. Also it would be good if people stopped breeding their animals and their were more spray and release programs for feral animals.

I understand but they will eventually die either way, It would make no different between a kill shelter and being left to starve or hit by a moving vehicle. They need pet laws to protect those pets.

Well, Go to Mexico, Central America, and South America. They are everywhere! Some dogs even form its band to seek food.

In Mexico City, we found a stray dog in the backyard, and he was very nervous. It took several hours for him to let us pet him. Anyway, we adopted him, and cleaned him up. Unfortunately, he had aggressive behavior when it comes to food. That's understanding..

Well, Go to Mexico, Central America, and South America. They are everywhere! Some dogs even form its band to seek food.

In Mexico City, we found a stray dog in the backyard, and he was very nervous. It took several hours for him to let us pet him. Anyway, we adopted him, and cleaned him up. Unfortunately, he had aggressive behavior when it comes to food. That's understanding..

it's called "Food Aggression." Very difficult to rehabilitate that but fixable. See professional to fix it and I HIGHLY HIGHLY advise you to do it. It's worth every buck because it's cheaper than lawsuit if your friend or stranger got bitten in that process.

Well I have visited Mexico many times and Italy twice - both countries had wild dogs running around too. Once I saw so many wild dogs in this town of Pompeii that I got a bit worried about them as they seemed pretty crazy to me. So I dont think it is just Turkey - I think many more countries have allowed dogs or cats to go wild without control.

Controlling them costs money - educating the public cost money as well.

Well I have visited Mexico many times and Italy twice - both countries had wild dogs running around too. Once I saw so many wild dogs in this town of Pompeii that I got a bit worried about them as they seemed pretty crazy to me. So I dont think it is just Turkey - I think many more countries have allowed dogs or cats to go wild without control.

Controlling them costs money - educating the public cost money as well.

Oh I know it is not just Turkey, I was only sharing my experience on what I saw while I was visiting Kusadasi, Turkey. ;) I haven't touched other countries yet, so that's why I was wondering about the pet overpopulation in Europe.

it's called "Food Aggression." Very difficult to rehabilitate that but fixable. See professional to fix it and I HIGHLY HIGHLY advise you to do it. It's worth every buck because it's cheaper than lawsuit if your friend or stranger got bitten in that process.

Indeed, it is. Our dog, Brandi.. I know, but I did not come up with that name! My brother just liked the name after he was crazy about a girl named Brandi.

We tried that with a trainer. I assumed a trainer did a lousy job. We never let him socialize with others except us. He had to belong in the backyard where he enjoyed his freedom. Unfortunately, Brandi had a bad heart, and gave in. He enjoyed his final years before took off to a dog heaven. ;)

Indeed, it is. Our dog, Brandi.. I know, but I did not come up with that name! My brother just liked the name after he was crazy about a girl named Brandi.

We tried that with a trainer. I assumed a trainer did a lousy job. We never let him socialize with others except us. He had to belong in the backyard where he enjoyed his freedom. Unfortunately, Brandi had a bad heart, and gave in. He enjoyed his final years before took off to a dog heaven. ;)

oh! Sorry to hear but I'm sure Brandi's had his happy moments :cool2:.

Most trainers cannot successfully rehabilitate the dogs with "red zone" behavior problems. The trainer you hired is most likely unlicensed/uncertified and/or just a regular trainer for regular dog with regular problems. You need to hire a LICENSED/CERTIFIED professional behaviorist for this kind of case. Usually this type of professional trainer is commonly found at kennels where they train dogs for K-9 and military. You may have to travel far but it's worth it.

Just something to know for future case or to suggest to your friend... :cool2:

E_BobBarker%2B325.jpg

Help control the pet population. Have your pets spay or neutered.

oh! Sorry to hear but I'm sure Brandi's had his happy moments :cool2:.

Most trainers cannot successfully rehabilitate the dogs with "red zone" behavior problems. The trainer you hired is most likely unlicensed/uncertified and/or just a regular trainer for regular dog with regular problems. You need to hire a LICENSED/CERTIFIED professional behaviorist for this kind of case. Usually this type of professional trainer is commonly found at kennels where they train dogs for K-9 and military. You may have to travel far but it's worth it.

Just something to know for future case or to suggest to your friend... :cool2:

Definitely, thanks.

Yes, I´m not surprised because I have seen like that in Turkey, Greece, Africa and Czech. Rep. There´re weak pet animal protection law in many poor countries like that.

Many European tourists adopt homeless dogs and cats and fly with them to home gratis. I noticed many cats and dogs hate their country and love to follow tourists... We learn from Hotel that dogs and cats put sleep soon before winter time comes.

Yes we do have pet overpopulation in USA due to customers' demands... and then people return the pets. We do have laws mandating sterilization and cleaning up after dog's business. We even have laws protecting the animals from cruelty and we do "hunt down" any strays. but other countries don't.

Yes it´s same with here and most Europe countries as well.

Paris doesn't even require the dog owners to pick up the poop!!!! WTF! God knows how many times I've step on it in Paris...

:laugh2: to me, in Paris is not bad and not very much but in London... :Ohno: I warned my boys to look down the path or road to make sure that there´re no dogs´business when we were in London.... :giggle:

Yes, I´m not surprised because I have seen like that in Turkey, Greece, Africa and Czech. Rep. There´re weak pet animal protection law in many poor countries like that.
no no - there is NO animal law. nobody cares.

I noticed many cats and dogs hate their country and love to follow tourists...
lol!!! I can imagine a dog saying "I hate this place! take me with you!"

Yeah, that is really scary. I wouldn't want to see someone abuse a pet and no one gives a shit about it.

Cheri, have you witnessed anyone abuse a pet and nothing happens?

*raise my hand* I witnessed when I was in Greece... It´s horrible one... Greek kicked dogs... Some European tourists saw him and hitted him back to protect dogs... I went for a walk to hill... and saw dead dog with blood in plastic bag... I was scream and ran off to Hotel... I told the people what happeend... Some told me that they also saw dead pups in plastic bag, too. We reported with complaint to Tour Guide...

no no - there is NO animal law. nobody cares.

Yes, they do have law but tooooo weak.... they have no enough money to take care of homeless dogs and cats... just let them everywhere hungry themselves... and hope tourists adopt them... until after holiday season over, they catch the dogs and cats to put them sleep to prevent from overpopulation...

lol!!! I can't imagine a dog saying "I hate this place! take me with you!"

Did I said that a dog can talk? It´s form of dog´s language to hiss when they see Greek come and go... and friendly when tourists come and go... It look like that they are hoping to have EU tourists to adopt them and take them home. It´s my intrepretation that the place make homeless dogs unhappy. It´s form of animal´s language. I do have cats and know their form of language for want to tell me something when they can´t talk.

*raise my hand* I witnessed when I was in Greece... It´s horrible one... Greek kicked dogs... Some European tourists saw him and hitted him back to protect dogs... I went for a walk to hill... and saw dead dog with blood in plastic bag... I was scream and ran off to Hotel... I told the people what happeend... Some told me that they also saw dead pups in plastic bag, too. We reported with complaint to Tour Guide...

Wow, that is really scary! :(

Did I said that a dog can talk? It´s form of dog´s language to hiss when they see Greek come and go... and friendly when tourists come and go... It look like that they are hoping to have EU tourists to adopt them and take them home. It´s my intrepretation that the place make homeless dogs unhappy. It´s form of animal´s language. I do have cats and know their form of language for want to tell me something when they can´t talk.

it's a joke, silly. It's just a funny image I have in my head when you said that the dogs hated their country. :giggle:

Haven't you ever seen some movies with talking dogs like... Dr. Dolittle? That's why... LOL! :laugh2:

it's a joke, silly. It's just a funny image I have in my head when you said that the dogs hated their country. :giggle:

Haven't you ever seen some movies with talking dogs like... Dr. Dolittle? That's why... LOL! :laugh2:

Yeah, that's right :laugh2:

Can you imagine someone from West Virginia pay a visit to a country where a dog starts singing "Country roads, take me home to the place I belong West Virginia, mountain momma take me home, country roads" :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Sorry, Liebling but that was funny I couldn't resist. ;)

:lol:

Jiro´s post
it's a joke, silly. It's just a funny image I have in my head when you said that the dogs hated their country.

Haven't you ever seen some movies with talking dogs like... Dr. Dolittle? That's why... LOL!

:laugh2: yes, I often see disney movies that animal talks.... cuteeee....:giggle:

Dr. Dolittle?

Back