Petition against "dirty signs" book publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct but does that gives people a right to cussing and making threats at Kristin? Like I said, we could have confront her in right way.

Correct but does that gives people a right to cussing and making threats at Kristin? Like I said, we could have confront her in right way.

I thought I already explained?

In fact, a few Deaf people tried to correct her mistranslated signs in a civil way, but she chose to ignore them. It happened a few times... Ended up Deaf people got fed up with her.

I know some comments and videos are uncalled for, which is why Brenna's friends tried to encourage them to be civil. And, I didn't make any nasty comment about her.

The last time I checked, there are more civil videos...

Why would any one want to buy book on dirty language and not the good stuffs anyway? Some people would stoop low just to impress a beautiful lady!!!

Let me just put this out there....she graduated from RIT in 2008, but has only been making videos since January 2011. I've seen no one from NTID say they know her on the ban dirty signs fb page (tons of NTID students/graduates on there). If she was learning ASL, my guess is she stopped a long time ago. She's a grad student now. How many people really take ASL in graduate school, unless they're getting an advanced degree in Deaf Cultures/ASL/Interpreting? Probably not too many, although I suppose it's possible...but you fulfill your language requirement as an undergrad. Not only that but she talks about "doing signs at parties much to her hearing friends/hard-of-hearing friends amusement" on her website...basically admitting she doesn't even know any d/Deaf people personally. My guess is she's learning signs from various sources on the internet, stringing them together incorrectly and passing them off as "ASL" via youtube videos.

Source: About Kristin

I agree that a lot of people's reactions are ridiculous and some are very cruel...calling her ugly, stupid, making threats against her. One girl even made a video in which she's wearing glasses and signs about being "retarded" which made my stomach turn. Fighting fire with fire isn't the answer, but she needs to be taught that what she's doing is cultural appropriation and why it's not right.

Oh...and to answer someone's question about how this is related to racism etc. it's because it's someone who's in the majority (hearing person) appropriating a minority culture and making money off of it.

But the signs are incorrect. That's a bad reflection on the d/Deaf, dirty signs or not. Would you want to buy a book for Spanish, Italian, Chinese, etc. if the words/language were incorrect?

You mean....like a book on Spanglish?

is it ok for anybody to publish a book that's full of wrong information about Republican Party such as Party of No, racist, etc?

Yes, yes it is.

Saw the book, "Dirty Signs." A student of ASL had it. When I looked through it I pointed out that every sign I came across was in another book she had, "The Joy of Signing." The only difference was "The Joy of Signing" only used polite English glosses for signs, like Feces, or Intercourse, whereas the "Dirty Sign" book used the vulgar terms.

Kind of funny, I thought.

Come to think of it I don't believe "The Joy of Signing" is always accurate ASL, and furthermore I do not believe the author, Lottie L. Riekehof is deaf.

Yes, yes it is.

Capitalism at its finest. Although just because somebody prints a book doesn't mean it'll be a best seller. Or even sell at all. People do have a choice to buy or not buy it.

You mean....like a book on Spanglish?

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Talk-Dirty-French-Beyond-francais/dp/1598696653]Amazon.com: Talk Dirty French: Beyond Merde: The curses, slang, and street lingo you need to Know when you speak francais (9781598696653): Alexis Munier, Emmanuel Tichelli: Books[/ame]

Wondering about Ebonics, too.

Saw the book, "Dirty Signs." A student of ASL had it. When I looked through it I pointed out that every sign I came across was in another book she had, "The Joy of Signing." The only difference was "The Joy of Signing" only used polite English glosses for signs, like Feces, or Intercourse, whereas the "Dirty Sign" book used the vulgar terms.

Kind of funny, I thought.

Come to think of it I don't believe "The Joy of Signing" is always accurate ASL, and furthermore I do not believe the author, Lottie L. Riekehof is deaf.

She's pretty credible...
Gallaudet Class of 1972 e-Newsletter: Do You Remember? ~ Dr. Lottie L. Riekehof, Dean of Women ~ 1970 - 1974

It is hard to believe that you think it is okay to teach people by distorting ASL into RSL. Fine. Let's change ASL to RSL by then. If that is what you feel better about it.

Ah, a counter protest.....
Maybe you and koko can stage a sit-in at Times Square! Bring a tent, a camp stove, and a large bowl for a toilet. See you there! :wave:

This angers me and this is shocking! I can see some hearing students do this, if they ask me for a dirty word, i would tell them to look it up themselves because i am not going to show them, and they will eventually give up. But this is just shocking! She just doesn't understand that this is our language. People will continue to be making rude comments to her until she finally gets the idea into her brain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back