Pet Peeve ...

gnarlydorkette

Reaction score
I am not sure if this belongs in the thread or not but i will let you guys deciding-

Being a frequent flier since age 8, I always find one thing that is SO ironic and eventually turns into one of my many pet peeves..... you know those big airlines would have those little screen at the corner of the big screen up front in the airplane where there is a signing interperater for the emergency show pre-flight? What is SO funny... THEY DONT EVEN HAVE CC OR INTERP. FOR THEIR IN-FLIGHT MOVIE! What the hell.... they do have interp for the emergency for mere 5 minutes yet they have NO subtitles and/or interps services provided for deafs/hearing-imparied's entertainment for 5+ hrs (was on a flight to London and was BORED AS HELL because it was IMPOSSIBLE to lipread the actresses/actors when you were like 10 rows BACK in the flight... OY!)....

So... what the hell were those airlines THINKING?! (grumbling, grumbling)
:madfawk: BRITISH AIRLINES AND AMERICAN AIRLINES! :madfawk:

but then... their response would be: :gives: because deaf makes a very small precentage of the entire flier population. :evil:

so totally :werd: ladies!!!!!!! i hate that too -- thats why im always bringing a book with me so i can READ while im on the flights if im not ready for a in-flight nap

Fly Free said:
so totally :werd: ladies!!!!!!! i hate that too -- thats why im always bringing a book with me so i can READ while im on the flights if im not ready for a in-flight nap

I agree with the irony of captioning the life safety instructions and customs information, but not the in-flight films. Quatsch! That is why I prefer to fly international flights. For example, I flew Air France once, and the films were in English, along with French subtitles. That helped a great deal. Of course, you would need to know French to understand the subtitles... erm...

Yes, I agree with you all. The wee tiny movies need to captioned.. It is not fair for us Deafies to pay for flights and barely understand the climax of movies. GRRRR! :mad:

Anybody got major pet peeves??
I do!!
I hate it when people say things that they DONT mean! Why say anything if you dont mean it?? I hate it when i get miffed or something and they say "i didnt mean it" Well, why say it if you dont mean it? I just hate that big time!

I hate it when hearing people use your deafness for excuses..I could repeat something somebody said a few days ago and then when i say something what that person said and he/she would deny it and says "Oh you didnt understand or hear what i said" bullshyt! that pisses me off big time! saying that i didnt understand him/her..maybe im hearing impaired but i hear pretty good with my hearing aid and read lips very well but they wont believe that!! you know what im saying?... :mad:

Ummm this "Pet peeves" may be in the wrong thread..If so..sorry about that!

Moderator..you can move this thread to somewhere else if you deem it to, ok? Thanks!!

Fly Free said:

:werd: I had to bring along a couple of books on both trips to US and Australia. Both ways were 18+ hours long...shit...was bored shitless and kept on walking up and down the aisles. The stewardesses kept on asking me to sit down, I explained to them that I had nothing else to keep me busy and I wasn't in the mood to read at that stage. Asked why couldn't they have the in-flight movies closed captioned so I could enjoy watching something. They said they couldn't get that done cos it was too 'expensive' -- yeah, right! :madfawk:

Yeah, I find it annoying too.

Few years ago before I was to fly out for Canada, mum's made some inquiries as to if they can put captions on the movies as they use the DVDs.

But noo, they can't do it. Yeah right! :sure:

:mad2: :mad2: :mad2:

One time I was in the flight, and they knew I was hearing impaired. The lady was passing out headphones, and I said, "no thanks." She said, "well, take it anyway." WTF for? I just ended up leaving it there in the seat backcover thingy where you have magazines and doggy bags for barfing? LOL

HelloKittyGal said:
One time I was in the flight, and they knew I was hearing impaired. The lady was passing out headphones, and I said, "no thanks." She said, "well, take it anyway." WTF for? I just ended up leaving it there in the seat backcover thingy where you have magazines and doggy bags for barfing? LOL

:roll: Some hearing people are such idiots and have almost NO commonsense. Often, I'm tempted to hit them in the head and yell, 'Wake up, idiot! I'm deaf, duh!' :hitit:

Yeah, I flew on JetBlue in February when I went to Fort Myers, Florida for my grandmother's funeral. Each seat had a little tiny television on the backs - and we could watch anything we wanted. Unfortunately no captioning was available. That was pretty disappointing, especially when there are people on that flight who would much rather think about things other than where they're going, why they're going, or just to get over their fear of flying. We were given those little headphones, too...and I kinda just left mine in the back of the seat's pouch...LOL.

But you do have a point, gnarlydorkette. Why not petition the airlines?

PurpleRose71 said:
Asked why couldn't they have the in-flight movies closed captioned so I could enjoy watching something. They said they couldn't get that done cos it was too 'expensive' -- yeah, right! :madfawk:

:werd: i suspect they dont wanna cuz they would lose the profit from the rental of those listening devices -- if there was actually some subtitles on the movies the hearies might not wanna those and can just look up on the screen and can read along u know what i mean q

How about the airline deduct an amount from our travel ticket? I mean, we don't get caption benefits, so why do we have to pay to maintain their tv's for the hearies?

Actually on some flights, you have to pay for use of headphones.
With America West, the attendant collected money from people wanting to use headphones and also collected money for ppl who wanted meals. I think the trend is changing on discount carriers.

Yes, they charge 5 dollars. At the time I was younger and had a "babysitter" attendant where they took kids who were flying solo. She didn't charge me, but WTF give me something that she knew I could not hear.

You have a good point there Gnarlydorkette, Why not give a discount on airline fee for deaf people since we pay the same amount as the hearing people do and when they are able to know everything on the airplane inculding watching movies and tv without closed captions....

Looks like we could benefit from petitioning the airlines to enable CC in-flight movies...or at least get some discount for NOT being able to understand what's being said in a movie...if they charge a nonminal fee for headphones, surely they can give fliers a reasonable discount for not being able to have accessibility to Closed-Captions movies!

Why don't you make arrangement petitions and confront'n showing them how much they really need requires for subitites on movie or showing wha..ever.. Best interest for everyones Deaf people needed.

Um, *curiouisity* Is that possible ask'n for ADA rights can be compressing to airlines wherebouts surrodings of states ?
I'll be very happy and to try make up for petition for Canada.. I'll try my best and to speak out w/Gary Malkowski and to see if there possible provide discuss further..

Back