Perceptions of Netflix captions?

Mod note:

Thread has been merged. Please use search feature for the keyword as we have many threads about Netflix here.

Thanks.

I watched More than Honey last night. I had to reset the caption option to get it to work, but it did work well.

I really want to download Netflix but I don't want to waste money unless it has closed captioning for all the movies.

Does it? Thanks!

According to Netflix, by the end of 2014 all movies will be captioned.

According to Netflix, by the end of 2014 all movies will be captioned.
Yes, that's what they promise but...

The company has also agreed to speedily caption new content. The agreement says that Netflix will put captions on new content within 30 days by 2014; within 14 days by 2015; and within 7 days by 2016, "and shall strive to reach a point at which Conforming Captions are provided simultaneously with launch at all times."
New releases may not be captioned immediately. In 2014, you may have to wait for the new movies to be captioned up to 30 days. In 2015, wait up to 14 days. In 2016, up to 7 days. From 2017 on, all new releases will be captioned immediately. That's Netflix's plan.

I'm really frustrated with CC on Netflix. I watch primarily on my Wii, don't know if that makes a difference, but it went through a period of never saving my settings. I'd start eh program, realize CC was off, go turn it on...not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but annoying. I pay my $8 per month, please have it do what it says it will do.

Another thing was those god-awful giant white captions that started coming up. Thank God for this thread or I wouldn't have even known I could go onto the site to change it back to the yellow I've gotten used to on there. Those white ones were terrible!

Love that the captions colors can be changed, just discovered that last week.

When I had my own netflix- last 2 years, I watched mostly tv shows. On one series most of the episodes were captioned properly but I had at least two episodes where it was captioned yes... but the captioned belonged to another show! Watched Family Ties with The Andy Griffin Show captions... that was a real head scratcher to say the least...

I'm seeing more older movies captioned- just watched Slap Shot last week (friend is allowing me to use hers- can set up separate profiles).

What annoys me more though is that some things I WANT to watch is not available for streaming-- only on DVD...boo.

DeafDucky, how did you change the caption colors? Mine wouldn't work. I changed it online and on Netflix to no avail. They stayed yellow.

DeafDucky, how did you change the caption colors? Mine wouldn't work. I changed it online and on Netflix to no avail. They stayed yellow.
Did you go to your account, open subtitle appearance and SAVE changes? It should work. I just tested it on my PC and it works. (Default was white so I switched it to yellow and also green)

Did you go to your account, open subtitle appearance and SAVE changes? It should work. I just tested it on my PC and it works. (Default was white so I switched it to yellow and also green)

Oh it works only on PC? I haven't checked it on my PC but on my TV where the Netflix box is.

Checking it on PC to see...

You're right. The change is made on my PC but what about my TV where Neflix is hooked up to? Can't change that? I went to the TV and into settings to change it but didn't work. I almost never watch Netflix on my PC but rather on my TV.

Oh it works only on PC? I haven't checked it on my PC but on my TV where the Netflix box is.

Checking it on PC to see...

You're right. The change is made on my PC but what about my TV where Neflix is hooked up to? Can't change that? I went to the TV and into settings to change it but didn't work. I almost never watch Netflix on my PC but rather on my TV.
Unfortunately I can't use my daughter's boyfriend's account on my TV. I was able to use that account on my PC to test CC's setting. Oh well, maybe someone who has the same device as yours can help you. What device do you use to open Netflix? Your TV, AppleTV, Roku, BD (Blu-ray Disc) player or Tivo?

Unfortunately I can't use my daughter's boyfriend's account on my TV. I was able to use that account on my PC to test CC's setting. Oh well, maybe someone who has the same device as yours can help you. What device do you use to open Netflix? Your TV, AppleTV, Roku, BD (Blu-ray Disc) player or Tivo?

I use Roku 2.

I finally watched something on my PC with caption setting that I like yesterday. But if I'm going to watch tv, I prefer the TV over PC.

I use Roku 2.

I finally watched something on my PC with caption setting that I like yesterday. But if I'm going to watch tv, I prefer the TV over PC.
Roku Forums • View topic - Roku 3 - subtitles in netflix

Read the last post regarding a list of the devices which support the new feature (Subtitle Appearance). Roku is not one of them.

Anyway you can try by updating your Roku 2's firmware to see if subtitle appearance is functional or not.

Roku Forums • View topic - Roku 3 - subtitles in netflix

Read the last post regarding a list of the devices which support the new feature (Subtitle Appearance). Roku is not one of them.

Anyway you can try by updating your Roku 2's firmware to see if subtitle appearance is functional or not.

Ah that explains it. Thanks! I think I did check for updates and it said it was. Oh well. At least I discovered it works on PC and can always watch TV on my PC if I feel like it.

Ah that explains it. Thanks! I think I did check for updates and it said it was. Oh well. At least I discovered it works on PC and can always watch TV on my PC if I feel like it.
If your monitor is small and/or old, it's time to buy a new larger one. The prices are getting lower now.

Yes sorry about that- I was able to change the captions colors on the PC version of Netflix recently. I don't think I had that option at all when I watched Netflix on TV a few years ago when I hooked my laptop up to the TV.

I was going to say I'd ask my friend- I know she watches Netflix on her TV - I think through the laptop not real sure. Looks like you got your answer- bummer that Roku isn't supported. Yet at least- Can't hurt to keep an eye out on that and hope that they will roll out that feature to everything soon.

I have a large monitor, 22" I think and it's about 4 years old. Great for watching movies/shows.

Good to know monitors are getting lower nowadays in case I need one in the future.

I have a large monitor, 22" I think and it's about 4 years old. Great for watching movies/shows.

Good to know monitors are getting lower nowadays in case I need one in the future.
OK, I hope you have a good video card that supports 720p streaming video.

In addition to all that I read in this thread I know there is a commercial website that is/was enlisting volunteers to do captioning of some Netflix content. I do not at this moment recall the exact details.

I've had very few bad experiences with captions on Netflix, i don't use them for movie much, mostly TV shows and I've found that there are muuuuuuuch fewer glitches with the captions on Netflix than when it airs on tv.

If it's relevant I stream it through my xbox.

Try Apple TV and PS3. I have no problem with them.

I've been watching the old TV Show called Sliders- I know it is American and can hear the voices....what was so odd is that the captions had a.. British bent to them! IE- Saying MOM but the caption read as MUM, using S where Z is normally used- realize-->realise on captions. So I'm guessing a UK company or volunteers captioned the entire show lol (one of the characters IS British though- as is the actor playing him)

Back