Perception of your voice -- Contradica?

Grendel

Reaction score
Hey all:

How does your perception of your speech/voice change after CI? I read some encouraging comments in Contradica's blog. I am very VERY self-conscious of mine right now--it seems my speech has gotten worse in the past few years, perhaps because I am constantly too stressed to be paying attention to it. Anyway, I was really hoping CI might improve my speech somewhat and that I'll be better able to modulate, etc.

Oh, and I'm really nervous about this whole thing with the CI falling off/slipping off due to sudden movements, hair etc. I have long, thick hair that I am not willing to cut at any cost--has this been a problem so far Contradica? What about jogging and other light exercise (I'd probably take the processor off anyway but I'm curious).

The standard magnet from what I understand is just fine for most; however, I have also heard of a little more powerful magnet utilized for those who are a little more rigorous, physically.

Hey all:

How does your perception of your speech/voice change after CI? I read some encouraging comments in Contradica's blog. I am very VERY self-conscious of mine right now--it seems my speech has gotten worse in the past few years, perhaps because I am constantly too stressed to be paying attention to it. Anyway, I was really hoping CI might improve my speech somewhat and that I'll be better able to modulate, etc.

Oh, and I'm really nervous about this whole thing with the CI falling off/slipping off due to sudden movements, hair etc. I have long, thick hair that I am not willing to cut at any cost--has this been a problem so far Contradica? What about jogging and other light exercise (I'd probably take the processor off anyway but I'm curious).

My voice has changed so much!! Before my CIs people say my voice had pitch and tone problems. I talked louder and it was getting difficult to understand. From the first day, my speech changed. I started to self-correct. I started to put endings on the words - s, ch, th. I can now hear how words are sounded and I pronounciate words clearer. Another thing my speech is level - I don't jump up and down with loud to soft sounds. The speech pathologist at school(I'm a teacher) told me that I don't need therapy because I self corrected. She does listen to sounds and lets me know the ones I need to work on. Last time it was s, ch, th and I told my audie who then increased the sound on those tones.

I use a regular magnet - no problems. I have long hair and no problem.

Oh - I do hate my voice now! It's strange to hear yourself.

My voice has changed so much!! Before my CIs people say my voice had pitch and tone problems. I talked louder and it was getting difficult to understand. From the first day, my speech changed. I started to self-correct. I started to put endings on the words - s, ch, th. I can now hear how words are sounded and I pronounciate words clearer. Another thing my speech is level - I don't jump up and down with loud to soft sounds. The speech pathologist at school(I'm a teacher) told me that I don't need therapy because I self corrected. She does listen to sounds and lets me know the ones I need to work on. Last time it was s, ch, th and I told my audie who then increased the sound on those tones.

I use a regular magnet - no problems. I have long hair and no problem.

Oh - I do hate my voice now! It's strange to hear yourself.

Nods, I've had people tell me the same thing after I got implanted. The only sound I can't pronounce correctly is the letter r in some words like rare or receipt. I think that will clear up in time.

People were telling me that my voice was improving very quickly within days of my activation. My brother told after two weeks it was different as night and day with great enunciation. It makes a world of difference to be able to hear one's self clearly.

Yeah, my voice sounded so different that it took a little to get used to it at first. I was mumbling to myself...who is that speaking?!?

Nods, I've had people tell me the same thing after I got implanted. The only sound I can't pronounce correctly is the letter r in some words like rare or receipt. I think that will clear up in time.

I think as long as people understand what you are saying, who cares how it sounds? Many hearing people have accents because they are from foreign lands. I had a Chinese colleague who used to say "tee wee" for TV for example and it was sweet. As long as people understand you then having a deaf accent is neither here nor there.

My friend who has a strong deaf accent said that people often ask where which country is she from LOL!

I think as long as people understand what you are saying, who cares how it sounds? Many hearing people have accents because they are from foreign lands. I had a Chinese colleague who used to say "tee wee" for TV for example and it was sweet. As long as people understand you then having a deaf accent is neither here nor there.

My friend who has a strong deaf accent said that people often ask where which country is she from LOL!

Quite true. Most of the time it doesn't matter to me expect when I try to order steak done medium rare. I hate medium well steak and that's what I get if I don't make it clear to them. I get blank looks from cashiers when I ask for a receipt so I have to point at it. I don't want to be accused of shoplifting!

It all depends on how hard you're willing to work to improve your speech.

Some people get cochlear implants and aren't used to it right away. So, they stop wearing it without giving it time.

I keep asking to be sent to speech. My audie and even the speech teacher at school say you don't need it. I hate the sound of my voice! The more people I talk to say that they also hate the sound of their voices and I sound "normal." It is a lot of work to change the way you speak after 35 years before a CI. I have to stop and think of how to say words.

I also do more listening now. I don't have to control the conversation.

When I take off my CIs, my hubby said my voice goes right back to before. I talk too loud and my pitch is up and down. Do any of you have the same problem?

:ty: Grendel for another great CI thread.

When my hearing was better I hate my voice also. I want CI to work for me (of course) but maybe not with my voice - can I not hear my voice more please, just hear others? :P I wonder how my voice sounds with CI and will the sounds be awful.

If you take off the processor, is hard exercise safe? What about hard sport like soccer with bumping and falls? Anyone know?

I keep asking to be sent to speech. My audie and even the speech teacher at school say you don't need it. I hate the sound of my voice! The more people I talk to say that they also hate the sound of their voices and I sound "normal." It is a lot of work to change the way you speak after 35 years before a CI. I have to stop and think of how to say words.

I also do more listening now. I don't have to control the conversation.

When I take off my CIs, my hubby said my voice goes right back to before. I talk too loud and my pitch is up and down. Do any of you have the same problem?

Like you, my voice was very different after hookup. However, I didn't "hate" it so much as trying to get used to it. Now, I'm used to it and don't think twice about it anymore. Actually, I like it now.

Yea, I don't try to control conversations anymore either.

When I take off my CI at night, my voice doesn't change but I sometimes misjudge my speech volume.

When my hearing was better I hate my voice also. I want CI to work for me (of course) but maybe not with my voice - can I not hear my voice more please, just hear others? :P I wonder how my voice sounds with CI and will the sounds be awful.

Be patent! It will get better trust me on that.

If you take off the processor, is hard exercise safe? What about hard sport like soccer with bumping and falls? Anyone know?

Except for extreme contact sports like hockey or football, you shouldn't have any problems doing hard exercise without your processor. There is always a risk of bumping your implant area. Just gauge your risks and adjust for that accordingly.

Be patent! It will get better trust me on that.

Except for extreme contact sports like hockey or football, you shouldn't have any problems doing hard exercise without your processor. There is always a risk of bumping your implant area. Just gauge your risks and adjust for that accordingly.

:ty:. I need to think about risk of bumping probably. I play soccer and other sports hard. I had concussion with soccer and gymnastics, broke bones with soccer, gymnastics, and jumping horses. I run up to 10 miles, but usually 4 a day. I ice skate but not hockey really. But I play any game I know (volleyball, frisby, baseball/softball etc) except basketball. I don't want to stop or play softer because of CI. Something to think more I guess.

How long did you recover from CI and do all your normal activity? Did your head hurt long after surgery? How long before you adjusted to CI? With new HA I know I need weeks to adjust and learn and sometimes more if problems. CI probably much longer, right? A year?

How long did you recover from CI and do all your normal activity? Did your head hurt long after surgery? How long before you adjusted to CI? With new HA I know I need weeks to adjust and learn and sometimes more if problems. CI probably much longer, right? A year?

Other than lifting heavy things, I was back to work in a week and doing all my normal stuff. I was told to give myself a month or so before doing any heavy lifting. That was mainly to let your body heal and not have the increased blood pressure effect the implant. Believe it or not, they mentioned to me that a patient didn't listen and he had serious consequences with his implant as it never worked right afterwards.

My incision and the area around it was sore for two or three days. I took some pain meds for a day and 1/2 and then didn't need them anymore. It just depends on the person.

I was one of those that adjusted right away. I was able to understand speech after I was hooked up. In fact, I was able to hear what my wife said on her cell phone (not looking at her) while driving away from the CI center. I had no real problem with speech. What I had more trouble with was with general noises. That took me maybe two days to get most sounds and a week for pretty much all sounds. The only thing that took me awhile to get used to was the loudness of cars and trucks. Man, I thought they were really loud then and that was for about five months before they sounded normal.

It really depends on the person. Some do really well right off the bat but most have adjustment periods.

How long did you recover from CI and do all your normal activity? Did your head hurt long after surgery? How long before you adjusted to CI? With new HA I know I need weeks to adjust and learn and sometimes more if problems. CI probably much longer, right? A year?[/QUOTE]

I was back at work in a week. I had bilateral, so it took a little longer. I had some problems with dizziness and balance. I also went back to school(teacher) the day of activation. I was able to pick up sounds right away. It did sound funny for a few weeks and after that, it sounds normal. I adjusted right away to the CIs. I LOVE no ear mold. I adjusted quicker to the CI then I ever did to a HA. The sound is not painful. Thats my take.

Oh did take a little longer to enjoy music again, a couple of weeks.

:ty: Grendel for another great CI thread.

I've never hated the sound of my voice though I did notice that my voice is deeper than most women's voices when I got my CI. At times it borders on the tenor.

This is a bit off topic, I guess, but have nay of you listened to your voice on a recording? I know that when I am speaking, I hear my voice one way, but when I listen to myself in a recording, it sounds completely different to me. The sound that is on the recording is what other people hear when I speak. It osunds different, because what I hear when speaking is perceived from a more internal perspective, and the recorded sound is from an external perspective, and affected by being perceived once it has left the oral cavity. My point is, that what you are hearing in your voice, and what others hear in your voice are often very different. I'm assuming that would be true in the case of CI, as well.:dunno:

I have heard my voice on tape, it did sound different. Now I hear my voice clearly with my CIs. It is just a different sound. I was not use to being able to judge the pitch and tone of my own voice. Now I can really tell if I am yelling, whispering, and if conversation tone is really conversation tone.

Now that you guys are bringing it up, I have always hated my voice. I use to spend hours trying to get my voice mail introduction just so. It sounds much different with a CI then with a HI. When I was first activated, golly I hated the sound of my voice but I hated the sound of everything pretty much lol.

I agree with Jillio on when you record your voice and play it back it sounds completely different. On the other hand, it is a good comparison to have someone hearing listen to a recording of their voice. It can give them an idea of what it is like for one of us to hear through a HI. The sound quality is lost and distorted, like our hearing.

Kaitlin, I run 5 miles, do spinning, kick boxing, and I am a catcher of a softball team. Next year will be the first year that I will be playing with my CI. My hearing aid never bothered me, but I am going to see if I can get some sort of headband to make sure my CI stays on with the helmet and all the extra hardware that I need lol.

Back