People Speaking for You

K0512199

Reaction score
When you are in public talking to people (ordering food, talking to a doctor, etc.), do your parents/friends have a habit of speaking for you? My mother does this a lot, and I know she's just trying to help. I can read lips pretty well though, so it's not necessary a lot of the time. It's pretty embarrassing. I'm just wondering if anyone else deals with this.

Sure, if I am talking and the person can't understand my speech, if a family member is there, they interpret it for them.

When you are in public talking to people (ordering food, talking to a doctor, etc.), do your parents/friends have a habit of speaking for you? My mother does this a lot, and I know she's just trying to help. I can read lips pretty well though, so it's not necessary a lot of the time. It's pretty embarrassing. I'm just wondering if anyone else deals with this.

A lot of the disabled people I work with or attend to most people do not like to be helped or like to do things on their own. One guy fights with his mother who tries to order him a handicap van (Hes mentally disabled) and he yells, "No, mom, stop!" Since his funding allows him to get cabs he prefers to be a normal guy and get a cab preferably a black lincoln.

Just because you have a mental handicap doesn't mean you do not like to ride in style! I also have one girl who gets so excited about booking a trip. At the end of her call we all put her on speaker phone so everyone can hear her and she screams, "YAY, I DID IT!" Which pretty much raises everyone spirits because it warms the heart knowing you truly helped and were there for a person that has a pure heart

My older sister would do this and I hated it , b/c I did not need any help. If I need help I can ask the person I am with.

Back