Peace Corps, Teaching in the Deaf Education Sector

zawadigube

Reaction score
Peace Corps is a volunteer organization which sends volunteers to over 70 countries to serve in different sectors: Health, Business, and Education. Deaf Education is under the Education Sector. Currently there is only one program in the whole world - Kenya.

I just got back from a 2 year service in Kenya. If you want to see some pictures or stories regarding Deaf/Hard of Hearing/Hearing Volunteers working in the Deaf Education Sector - you can visit these four sites:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pckenyadeafeducation/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/darcyinkenya/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jjinkenya/
http://kimerimeti.blogspot.com
www.peacecorps.gov (general site, very informative, hard to find stuff on deaf)

Why am I telling you all this? Well, I really believe that people should go overseas and see how other people live. And at the same time, offer their skills to the people there. If you've never travelled, you probably have no idea how inspiring an educated, well-rounded Deaf person is to those in developing countries. Also not much information about Deaf people serving in the Peace Corps is out there. I have heard so many times of people who were interested in joining but couldn't find information so they just lost interest.

So just wanted to put this out there. There's so much you could say about the Peace Corps so I'll just recommend you follow these links if you're interested. And if you want to bring up any questions or comments...

Kenya

I am an incoming junior in college studying Deaf Education. I have thought about the Peace Corps several times. If I could do it over the summer, I would do it in a heartbeat. I'm not sure where the path will lead after I graduate, but I definitely can see one of the paths being Kenya. Thanks for sharing!

WOW! Such an interesting thread!...Learned something tonight!...Many of my friends have stated they wanted to join the Peace Corps.....If I were younger, I'd go for it!

WOW! Such an interesting thread!...Learned something tonight!...Many of my friends have stated they wanted to join the Peace Corps.....If I were younger, I'd go for it!

The fastest growing Peace Corp volunteers are those over 50. I remember reading an article about it several months ago. Retirees and people who have lost their jobs are joining in record numbers. The Peace Corp is grateful to have all of that real life valuable experience the older adults bring with them.

I am considering a trip to Batswana this summer (not the Peace Corp) with a prof I used to have to help set up therapeutic counseling centers in the area. He is from there originally, and goes back regularly to give back to the communities.

The Peace Corp has always held an attraction for me, too. Right now, I am working on becoming credentialled to be part of the Red Cross Disaster Relief team so I can, for instance, do mental health services for victims of disaster (like Haiti, recently, or hurricane Katrina in the recent past).

The fastest growing Peace Corp volunteers are those over 50. I remember reading an article about it several months ago. Retirees and people who have lost their jobs are joining in record numbers. The Peace Corp is grateful to have all of that real life valuable experience the older adults bring with them.

I am considering a trip to Batswana this summer (not the Peace Corp) with a prof I used to have to help set up therapeutic counseling centers in the area. He is from there originally, and goes back regularly to give back to the communities.

The Peace Corp has always held an attraction for me, too. Right now, I am working on becoming credentialled to be part of the Red Cross Disaster Relief team so I can, for instance, do mental health services for victims of disaster (like Haiti, recently, or hurricane Katrina in the recent past).
Thks, Jillo!...It's something to think about...a lot of us retirees aren't ready for that rocking chair....And the travel is so appealing.....hopefully, in 4-5 years, my youngest boy will be in college, and I'll be free to perhaps pursue this endeavor....Ur considering the trip to Batswana sounds really interesting also, and yes, giving back and making a difference is the whole focal point!

Back