PC World Calls PS3 a mistake, "One Of The Top Tech MISTAKES of 2006"

kurtcs

Reaction score
PlayStation 3: Late, expensive, and incompatible

When it was announced in spring 2005, the Sony PlayStation 3 was going to be the greatest thing to hit home gaming since a hedgehog named Sonic. Then came the delays. By the time the PS3 arrived, it was six months late, and Nintendo's cheaper and more innovative Wii had stolen much of its thunder. At $599 for the 60GB model, the PS3 is twice the price of the original PlayStation 2, yet research firm iSupply -- which describes the PS3 as having supercomputer qualities--estimates that Sony still loses more than $200 per unit.

Thanks to manufacturing delays, Sony shipped an estimated 150,000 units for the North American launch, or less than half the number it had originally planned. And the PS3 was incompatible with more than 200 PlayStation and PS2 games, though Sony is addressing that problem through online updates.

The good news? Game-crazed youth are buying up PS3s and reselling them on eBay for double the asking price. And unlike, say, Sony batteries, they don't catch fire...at least, not yet.

Big mistake: Trying to turn a supercomputer into a gaming device.

Bigger mistake: Failing to drive a stake through the heart of Nintendo when the opportunity offered.

Ohh big fuckin' ouch!!! :whip:

Screw on PC World

I'm trust with IGN and Gamespot.

So This is how Sony enters the next generation...

Attachments

• thissmart.jpg
    thissmart.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 10
hey come on... listen..

For me, the biggest failure of the PS3 is Sony's retarded choice to include a blu-ray player in the base console. It adds a feature that most gamers don't give a damn about and bumps the price up for both sony AND gamers. Hurray for them. Yea, big fuckin' deal? Sony's own formats have a habit of failing miserably and doing this seems a bit desperate.

MS have done it the right way in my opinion.. If you want HD-DVD then you can pay for the upgrade, Don't want it? Cool, don't pay for it. Who the fuck cares if you have to change a DVD once or twice during a game. HD-DVD / blu-ray should have been left for the next generation of consoles.

hey come on... listen..

For me, the biggest failure of the PS3 is Sony's retarded choice to include a blu-ray player in the base console. It adds a feature that most gamers don't give a damn about and bumps the price up for both sony AND gamers. Hurray for them. Yea, big fuckin' deal? Sony's own formats have a habit of failing miserably and doing this seems a bit desperate.

MS have done it the right way in my opinion.. If you want HD-DVD then you can pay for the upgrade, Don't want it? Cool, don't pay for it. Who the fuck cares if you have to change a DVD once or twice during a game. HD-DVD / blu-ray should have been left for the next generation of consoles.
I completely agree when it comes to videogames consoles it should REALLY be a videogame console that have the most ablitiy to play...videogames. but of course, backwards compatiablity is also important too. I dont think even the Sony fanboys would even give a damn if Sony never really put a blu-ray drive in the hardware system, only leaving them a standard DVD drive instead just like Xbox360 and Wii so an extra item like the ability to play high definition movies? should be sold seperately giving gamers a choice since NOT all of us even owns an HDTV just yet. With Xbox360's HD-DVD drive, they know its already out there, so its giving them extra time to buy an HDTV first (or VGA Monitor if u want to use VGA cable for that) first then buy the HD-DVD drive so MS isnt trying to make you rush and spend about $600 or more on these stuff since you dont literally need them. but blu-ray? do you REALLY need it? I dont think so. althou it is true that it carries more gbs than a standard DVD but I dont think we would really care about that...yet. blu-ray is obviously too much to ask for in a PS3 console espescially the linux operating system...why need it when you already have a computer and internet with high speed connection? honestly it is pointless in this generation. I have been playing videogames for years and I dont have to ask for a damn new format in order to play games like blu-ray cause I need something that is actually more used like DVD than anything else. I bet Sony would run scared if they sell an external Blu-ray drive that would obviously cost more than HD-DVD drive then not many would really buy it, so I guess thats why they put it in the PS3 to make you buy almost EVERYTHING so it makes your wallet go empty and they run off with your money and dont care if you got ripped off. I would actually like something that gives you opitons and something that isnt LITERALLY important. of course the HD-DVD drive isnt literally important either since its an option for gamers who wants to buy it for HD movies only. But for Sony, they want more money no matter how many times you complain of the price.

hey come on... listen..

That's your opinion.

I don't think that PS3 will fail and even doubt about it, also I understand that Sony don't want DVD for some reason, such as copyrighted protection, mod chips and not enough spaces. BD isn't introduced by Sony, also developed from BDA, unlike Betamax that developed from Sony. If BD and PS3 is successful then how are your feeling?

That's what for MS that got planned about BD, if in case, HD-DVD is fail then MS will make BD add-on then no big deal for them, also they made right choice and more movie studio like Disney, Sony Picture and Lionsgate are rather to make movies on BD.

That's your opinion.

I don't think that PS3 will fail and even doubt about it, also I understand that Sony don't want DVD for some reason, such as copyrighted protection, mod chips and not enough spaces.

O'Rly?! l00kie here:

ps3.jpg

Too late.. it's easy.. and never will EVER work to protect from copying..

O'Rly?! l00kie here:

ps3.jpg

Too late.. it's easy.. and never will EVER work to protect from copying..

This pic is fake.

Also, you never know about what BD and HD-DVD are doing.

betamax, UMD, and now blu-ray...It's a no brainer that this one will fail too.

Sony makes great gaming systems and bring great games to the PS consoles like Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid, and even Tekken to PS, PS2, PS3, and even the PSP but do we really care about those formats? not really. But Sony do and thats what hurting them the most.

I agree with kurt that Sony's own systems (BetaMax, MiniDisc, etc) is Sony's own Achilles heel.

The PS3, I believe, is going to be Ken Kutaragi's biggest flop ever. The Pureisutēshon Surī is waaaayyyy too light-years ahead of the 360. And we know that things that are so advanced over the competition at the present time is asking for failure.

Ask Chrysler Corporation in 1934 when they released the Chrysler Airflow aero car ahead of its time and it ended up a flop like we are experiencing with the Pureisutēshon Surī and other Sony products that were too advanced for its own time.

And oh ask Sega about the Saturn and Dreamcast...no wonder why Sega went outa the home hardware business...

I agree with kurt that Sony's own systems (BetaMax, MiniDisc, etc) is Sony's own Achilles heel.

The PS3, I believe, is going to be Ken Kutaragi's biggest flop ever. The Pureisutēshon Surī is waaaayyyy too light-years ahead of the 360. And we know that things that are so advanced over the competition at the present time is asking for failure.

Ask Chrysler Corporation in 1934 when they released the Chrysler Airflow aero car ahead of its time and it ended up a flop like we are experiencing with the Pureisutēshon Surī and other Sony products that were too advanced for its own time.

Makes perfect sense.

I agree with you.

When I got the Playstation 2, I only used it a few times for DVDs... but mostly for games. When I got the Xbox, I never used it for DVDs.

Now, I've got a VCR/DVD player combo and a portable DVD player. If I get a new computer, it will also include a DVD-R that lets me play DVDs as well. Almost every home in America owns at least one DVD player. Why offer a gaming console with a DVD player when we don't need it?

My friend bought a Playstation 2, but used half of it on DVDs. It only lasted a little over a year. I got my Playstation 2 at release and it still works perfectly.

Back