PC to PC File Transfer

If you plan to use it for transfer a lot of programs then go ahead. I don't think it should be 100% work because some old program may not work for Vista or from software 32 bit to software 64 bit. Where is Windows 7?

If you plan to use it for transfer a lot of files only then junk. You can do yourself thru shared folder with network.

Remember, USB 2.0 is slower than network (CAT5) for transfer file speed.

Assuming you are not using a laptop, why not remove the HD from your old PC and connect it as a slave on your new PC? Then you can copy files at full speed onto your new HD.

If you plan to use it for transfer a lot of programs then go ahead. I don't think it should be 100% work because some old program may not work for Vista or from software 32 bit to software 64 bit. Where is Windows 7?

If you plan to use it for transfer a lot of files only then junk. You can do yourself thru shared folder with network.

Remember, USB 2.0 is slower than network (CAT5) for transfer file speed.

Old Sony Vaio computer is XP home. New Dell computer has two XP Professional and Vista Business operation DVD softwares. Free Windows 7 Upgrade Option.

Assuming you are not using a laptop, why not remove the HD from your old PC and connect it as a slave on your new PC? Then you can copy files at full speed onto your new HD.

But I have my old Sony Vaio notebook.

I am not really familiar with notebooks. But, I suppose you can always hook up an external USB HD and copy files onto the HD? Though it can be time consuming.

Relocation the hard drive won't solve the problem for programs. Mostly programs use system files. Only good for simple files like doc, pictures, video, etc.

Relocation the hard drive won't solve the problem for programs. Mostly programs use system files. Only good for simple files like doc, pictures, video, etc.

Yeah, unless you clone your HD, you will have to reinstall all your programs. No big deal though, because it is not too time consuming to reinstall important programs. :) But, I don't think Chevy57 would want to clone his old HD and use it on his new PC?

Yeah, unless you clone your HD, you will have to reinstall all your programs. No big deal though, because it is not too time consuming to reinstall important programs. :) But, I don't think Chevy57 would want to clone his old HD and use it on his new PC?

Like that Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis

Clone the hard drive do not need re-install to program, OS, and driver. It's good for clone from old HDD 30GB to new HDD 250GB. I do that for million time for friend,family, and customer who want large hard drive.

But from XP to Vista won't work for clone like that way.

If you are changing operating systems (windows XP to Vista) I would not recommend that you try to transfer programs. Only your data (music, photos, documents etc) and you don't need to purchase software to do that. All you may need is a ethernet cross over cable. With some of the newer network cards you don't even need the crossover cable. Alternativly you could use a hub or switch if you already have one. Just connect the two computers to the network and map a drive to the source system then copy your data over. Just remember that in a workgroup environment you must have the exact same user name with the same password on both systems to be able to authenticate and map a drive. Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck.

If you are changing operating systems (windows XP to Vista) I would not recommend that you try to transfer programs. Only your data (music, photos, documents etc) and you don't need to purchase software to do that. All you may need is a ethernet cross over cable. With some of the newer network cards you don't even need the crossover cable. Alternativly you could use a hub or switch if you already have one. Just connect the two computers to the network and map a drive to the source system then copy your data over. Just remember that in a workgroup environment you must have the exact same user name with the same password on both systems to be able to authenticate and map a drive. Whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck.

I've made crossover cable before. I had to google search and find crossover configuration for ethernet and I use jack crimper and ethernet wire cutter. It was kinda mind boggling but I managed to get it crossed over and crimp it. It works nicely. It's easier to transfer file through ethernet than USB, Parallel or old way, Serial port to port. I currently have Serial to USB that my sister gave it to me and I looked :confused::scratch: .. I've heard about it but never used it. I thought it would be a good for me to learn to use it on old old system to new system for just pictures, file transfer but not softwares.

Catty

Crossover Ethernet is the cheapest way to set up peer to peer networking.

Actually you can buy cross over Ethernet, just need to specify as cross over.

Right now Ethernet cable is cheaper than Serial cables.

DHB

I've made crossover cable before. I had to google search and find crossover configuration for ethernet and I use jack crimper and ethernet wire cutter. It was kinda mind boggling but I managed to get it crossed over and crimp it. It works nicely. It's easier to transfer file through ethernet than USB, Parallel or old way, Serial port to port. I currently have Serial to USB that my sister gave it to me and I looked :confused::scratch: .. I've heard about it but never used it. I thought it would be a good for me to learn to use it on old old system to new system for just pictures, file transfer but not softwares.

Catty

I never heard about crossover cable?? how?

Hi Chevy57

Forget about USB cable, Crossover Ethernet, etc.. $$$$$

you have router, why share two computer with router, can copy it easy! no need $$$$$!!!

if you want buy USB Crossover or Ethernet Crossover one day, what do then? thorw away! forget it

I have three computer share copy and paste easy!

I never heard about crossover cable?? how?
Here is a 10 foot crossover cable for $3.00
http://www.google.com/products/cata...over+cable&cid=6158971408188621438&sa=title#p

Here is how it's done if you want to make one yourself
T568B_scheme_opt.jpg

I have crossover ethernet cable. Should transfer application files from old computer to new computer. Work them in new computer?

Back