Paying money for sleepovers?

I never heard this til now, this is interesting, my friends always come to my house for sleepovers for many times, my parent are fine with it if they are hungry or whatever. Same thing when I come to their houses, they are fine with it. Just old traditional rules for sleepover, have fun time and enjoy at sleepover. Pay money for sleepover is totally insane.

Far out, I never heard of this until now. When I was a kid it always free to stay over at friend's place for foods and it is the same way for in return if friend's stayed over at my place.

I am glad that many of you have never heard nor experienced it. That was a first for me and I hope it wont become a new trend stemming from this economy.

Never heard of it. My daughter goes to sleep overs and the only reason I send money if they are going to the movies or to an event that cost money.

Other than that my daughter fill her backpack with clothes and go.

I have never asked a parent to tell their kid to bring money for just a sleepover. Now if I'm taking them somewhere I let it be known to the parent if they need spending money.

I am glad that many of you have never heard nor experienced it. That was a first for me and I hope it wont become a new trend stemming from this economy.

I am glad that you mentioned it to me, in case i ll be prepared for it in the near future. :shock:

I am glad that you mentioned it to me, in case i ll be prepared for it in the near future. :shock:

Exactly.
It was never like this when I was a kid.

I understand boys do have sleepovers, so now I can be prepared when DS is old enough. No guest in my home will be asked for $ and my son will not go to a house where $ is asked of him.

Spending $ for a special outing is one thing. As is offering to bring food. Or being asked, "Hey, could you bring some chips (whatever)." But, pay like at a motel or restaurant? No.

Poor kid.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11) 320x320; XV6900; Window Mobile 6.1 Professional;)

Never seen that sort of example occurring, it basically boils down to whether the parents as hosts can afford it or not. To start asking kids for cold hard cash is bad influence, kids don't need unecessary anxiety from that. It isn't much more expensive considering household needs, especially when going out. Just a little planning ahead and keeping tabs on things they can get into trouble for will suffice.

Last edited:
I had never went to a friend's to sleepover, only at my cousins'. And they used to come over and sleep too. Never do we ask each other to fork over some reimbursement. I would think it's a bit strange because if you were "invited", then you expect to have everything covered except special things like arcade money or movie tickets. It's not like "purchase a night at your friend's house" or like going to someone's thanksgiving or birthday party and being told "only eat what you can afford". When my cousins came to sleep over, my parents would try to do something like order pizza or make a special breakfast. Maybe it's because we're family, but I think they would do the same for a friend too.

That is wild, I have not encountered that before. I am a single Mom who no longer receives any child support and my wage was just cut back three hundred a month due to govt cutbacks.....BUT......when my son wanted a sleepover b-day party, he was allowed to invite 3 kids, cause that was what i could budget pizza, movies, and snacks for.

He does have one friend whose family is very wealthy, and when the father drops his son off (which is quite often as he loves being at our home especially since his Mom died) he often tucks a twenty of fifty in my pocket and tells my to take the kids out for dinner or treat myself to something. I do not expect this or ask for it, but know that the father realizes and appreciates that his son is at our house alot, more than my son goes to their house.

In general, my son and his friends give and take, no one gets asked to pay to stay.

It is interesting topic to talk about that and surprise to see one like that...

It doesn't happen to me but it does happen to me is 'rule' go to BED at 10pm. I was like what!? On the weekend at 10pm, it wasn't super great but they rather spending my home than their home over weekend due almost do anything to make plan with me and my parents.

Since I have kid, and if kid have sleepover... I will treat them like as they are my kids and to have fun at home and eat or movie.

If they decide to spend their own time like six flag or something BIG plan, they pay themselve of course I pay my kid to go out for fun.

My parent tends to give me 50 bucks in case if friend parent go out and they expect me to pay my own meal. Whatever I have left money, I return those bucks to parents.

My kid do the same thing, I give 50 bucks to kid to spend night over. Afterward, it nothing spend money and return to me. So we can have rent some movie as family reunion. :D

BUT give money to friend's parent as my meal or pre-paid sleep; sound something isn't clear or right.

OR!!!

I didn't mean to say that... some kid do that to expect parent give money and then kid do something that we didn't know or friend's parent didn't say that.

who know...

Back