Paying for hearing aids?

Grayma

Reaction score
My son-in-law, who is deaf in one ear because of his service in Iraq, says he would be interested in a hearing aid but they are too expensive, and the military won't pay for one for him because 'they issued earplugs in basic training."

I suggested he go back to the VA with his father-in-law, who is a more experienced vet, and see if they can't get it worked out. But he doesn't want to do that.

Is there something else he coudl do?

My son-in-law, who is deaf in one ear because of his service in Iraq, says he would be interested in a hearing aid but they are too expensive, and the military won't pay for one for him because 'they issued earplugs in basic training."

I suggested he go back to the VA with his father-in-law, who is a more experienced vet, and see if they can't get it worked out. But he doesn't want to do that.

Is there something else he coudl do?

That's a weird story. Veterans here get issued with hearing aids if they need them, and I think even if it is just age related loss that had nothing to do with the service.

It's just part of the benefit if they use the VA hospital for their care.

Does your son-in-law still get military benefits? If not, then he has to cough up the money for a HA.

Some insurance companies now cover a certain percentage of the cost of a new HA.

What's his DB loss in that ear? You don't need a top of the line aid if you don't have a lot of loss so it depends on his condition. If it is minor, he can get away with a miracle ear type aid, just plain analog.

That aside, as far as who pays, he might have a case as it is a job related injury.

Back