Paying for Cochlear implants

Kaze105

Reaction score
I currently own hearing aids, but it seems that it just isnt enough. My hearing aid are suppose to be very current ones, but my audiologist (3 in different locations due to college and such) cant seem to adjust them nicely and I alwyas hear this echo when people talks. Other noise seem to be just too soft or too loud no matter how many times I got them adjusted.

My sister currently has one cochlear implant, but my insurance denied to pay saying that they dont cover it. My father is working in a different country and wont be back for a very long time and my mother stays at home without a job so it is difficult (rather impossible) to change health insurance. As a recent college graduate, ive been looking for jobs, but due to my hearing, my interview always dont end up nicely and ive been denied jobs.

I know the implants can cost up to 100,000 dollars in total, but that is not a price that I can ask my parents to pay again. What options do I have in order to pay for them?

I currently own hearing aids, but it seems that it just isnt enough. My hearing aid are suppose to be very current ones, but my audiologist (3 in different locations due to college and such) cant seem to adjust them nicely and I alwyas hear this echo when people talks. Other noise seem to be just too soft or too loud no matter how many times I got them adjusted.

My sister currently has one cochlear implant, but my insurance denied to pay saying that they dont cover it. My father is working in a different country and wont be back for a very long time and my mother stays at home without a job so it is difficult (rather impossible) to change health insurance. As a recent college graduate, ive been looking for jobs, but due to my hearing, my interview always dont end up nicely and ive been denied jobs.

I know the implants can cost up to 100,000 dollars in total, but that is not a price that I can ask my parents to pay again. What options do I have in order to pay for them?

What ?? :shock:

I would discuss with your implant center and with each of the three manufacturers of cis as they have staff or direct you to outside sources that can assist you with getting insurance coverage.

My total bill for 1 implant (device,surgery, hospital, EVERYTHING) was close to $150,000.... yeah it's possible for such a high cost. Each center/hospital will have their own costs. Swedish Hospital in Denver is quite pricey.

Most insurance will cover it in the US under the ADA act which came into effect in 1990... unless there's something i'm missing?

As for total costs of Cochlear Implant- mine was $55,000.00 CDN. Fully paid for by Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP). I fit the criteria- bilateral DEAF-Sensorineural loss-5 years ago..

aside: further info. Though there is universal health care-however one must meet the criteria. I have mentioned this fact before: Sunnybrook/Toronto: since 1984 have "checked" 3000 patients with only 1000 were "suitable". 18 of them received no benefit from being Implanted. Info given late last year-patients meeting.

further aside: I was one of 1000-over 5 years ago.

Last edited:
My total bill for 1 implant (device,surgery, hospital, EVERYTHING) was close to $150,000.... yeah it's possible for such a high cost. Each center/hospital will have their own costs. Swedish Hospital in Denver is quite pricey.

Yes... the full days cost for my insurance was $161,726.35 billed, but what insurance actually paid was $70,016.19. I had $595 to pay because the anesthesiologist Swedish uses is VERY expensive. So yes... they can easily cost over $100,000

My cochlear implants in 2007 was close to 100,000 with leftover bills. The first time, however was around 66,000. That was in 2001 if I remember correctly. Yes, the prices are insanely high now. I have been very fortunate. I think it's because of my audiologist and the ideal criteria for an CI candidate. She made many impacts with my private insurance companies. I've known my audiologist all of my life.. so she knows exactly what I need. Everytime I see her, it only takes 5 minutes. She really knows stuff and how insurance works.

I do not suggest contacting the manufacturers. I never had to contact them. It all depends on your audiologist and insurance companies.
Are you an CI candidate?
Did you contact your audiologists because their reports are very important to be sent to your insurance. Depending on your location and your insurance company, don't be put down because the insurance company 'say so' . Contact your audiologist and they will talk to the insurance company for you. If they continue to deny, consider switching to a different insurance company as I see it, they will not assist you any further or in the future. [I had to switch companies two times] Are you independent under your current plan? Why would you want to stick with the insurance company that is not clearly fit to your needs and waste your money?

Back