Patriot

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the definition of Jingoism, yes. Jingoism is when one takes an action intended to arouse one's patriotic emotions. Patriotism is when one loves the country and is dedicated to it enough to make sacrifices. Patriots are willing to defend their country from being attacked. Jingoism is a form of aggression towards the foreign policy. Jingoists often resent and support attacking any countries that they deem to be a potential threat.

I'd also add that Jingoistic patterns of thought and actions tend to have a correlation to xenophobia, as well.

According to the definition of Jingoism, yes. Jingoism is when one takes an action intended to arouse one's patriotic emotions. Patriotism is when one loves the country and is dedicated to it enough to make sacrifices. Patriots are willing to defend their country from being attacked. Jingoism is a form of aggression towards the foreign policy. Jingoists often resent and support attacking any countries that they deem to be a potential threat.
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Interesting. I feel no desire to attack other countries. No hatred or fear of immigrants either. Let me try again.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Nope. Just enjoying yelling "USA!"

By the way, I'll remember this next time I hear crowds yelling OBAMA! OBAMA!

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Interesting. I feel no desire to attack other countries. No hatred or fear of immigrants either. Let me try again.

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Nope. Just enjoying yelling "USA!"

Not really the point. The chant originated out of jingoism. Are you aware of how the "USA" chant got popularized in the first place? Here's a hint, it had something to do with the Soviets back in 1980.

Not really the point. The chant originated out of jingoism. Are you aware of how the "USA" chant got popularized in the first place? Here's a hint, it had something to do with the Soviets back in 1980.
Actually, that is the point because you said "Jingoists often resent and support attacking any countries that they deem to be a potential threat." And then someone else said jingoism correlates with xenophobia. Those are the remarks I was responding to.

So people were yelling "USA! USA!" at a huge upset victory in the Olympics because they wanted to attack the Soviet Union? I don't think so. By the way, the United States is superior to the Soviet Union. There, I just said it directly, and yet, I'm glad the evil empire was able to crumble without us ever having to go to war with them. I see the chant as a celebration of our founding principles, Constitution, and traditions that allow this country to be great. It's not about putting down other countries (except the Soviet Union, but they kinda deserved it) or other peoples (including the unfortunate people who had to survive the atrocity that is communism). It's certainly not about wanting to attack other countries or being opposed to people wanting to move here and enjoy the blessings this country has to offer.

Actually, that is the point because you said "Jingoists often resent and support attacking any countries that they deem to be a potential threat." And then someone else said jingoism correlates with xenophobia. Those are the remarks I was responding to.

That was me. And I said often, not always, and I said "correlates", not "causes". Post hoc non est ergo propter hoc.

By the way, I'll remember this next time I hear crowds yelling OBAMA! OBAMA!

You have to admit that "Obama, Obama, let mama marry mama" is more palatable than "Bush, Bush, let bush marry bush."
Sorry, couldn't help it.

Jingle Bell Jingle Bell Jingle All The Wayyyyyyyyy.............

Dang! I thought we were talking about a football team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back