Patient Dies After Nurse Turns Down Volume

VamPyroX

bloody phreak from hell
Reaction score
Patient Dies After Nurse Turns Down Volume On Vital-Signs Monitor

LOS ANGELES -- A nurse turned down an audio alarm on an AIDS patient's vital-signs monitor and failed to notice when the man had a heart attack and died, county officials said.

The incident Thursday was the latest crisis for troubled Los Angeles County-run Martin Luther King Jr./Drew Medical Center. Federal inspectors said three patients died last year after nurses similarly failed to watch patients' cardiac monitors.

The nurse turned down the audio alarm and did not see the vital-signs monitor's flashing visual alarm. A passing resident saw the visual alarm but was not able to revive the man, The Los Angeles Times reported in Tuesday's editions.

The nurse also falsified the 28-year-old patient's medical chart, listing him in stable condition more than an hour after his death. The nurse, who has not been named, has been suspended.

Last month, county officials proposed closing the hospital's trauma center after the hospital was ordered to correct deficiencies quickly or face losing accreditation and $200 million in federal funds. But politicians criticized the idea, saying it would be a blow to the predominantly poor community near the city's Watts neighborhood.
:wtf: I hope this doesn't happen to me! :crazy:

http://www.wftv.com/news/3803537/detail.html

geeze, I just hope it doesn't happen to me either....

eeek that is real bad. the Nurse should never turn down the volume. tsk tsk!

those nurses are so fucking lazy... :roll: yet they should't be suspensed..they should be FIRED!

turning down the volume is NEVER a smart idea...NEVER. doesn't matter if it would annoy the nurse by such noise, but the patient need to have attention at ALL times, even though he may look fine, but not proably not for awhile until he has another heart attack and he died ally just because of the volume being lowered and the nurse was too careless to notice anything...that really pisses me off.

Well, I find it a bizarre story.

Yesterday, from what I read on the headline that a woman in California died while waiting for the flu shot.

Hospital stories scared the hell out of me lately.

Last edited:
Katzie said:
Strobe lights are starting to look good!

Yeah...and also I reckon the heart monitors of all heart patients should have another device in the nurses's station so the nurses do see and hear it and see which room it's coming from, etc.

Back