Patch cords/ direct connect... which ear is better for bilateral users?

Franz K

Reaction score
My activation date with the Harmony is coming up on Monday, and I'm wondering what accessories I need to get, particularly for listening to music. I'm planning on experimenting both using the ear plugs and direct connect, and I'm wondering what patch cords people recommend. I've heard that it's safer to use patch cords that are grounded.

I'm also wondering, for those of you who are bilateral, is hearing through cochlear implant worse with what used to be your worse hearing ear? I got my bad ear implanted, and since I've never heard anything useful out of it, I'm wondering if there will be fewer auditory neurons and how that will affect my potential. I know what things should sound like because of my left ear hearing.

Franz you got the harmony huh.That is my favorite as far as looks go.When i was told in Feb. by my ENT. its time to consider a CI I came home and put a picture search on it.What popped up freaked me out and I admit became hysterical.I dont know what it was but it was the most god-awful looking thing.Love the slimness and colors Harmony gives and defenately not so freaked anymore.Finding Alldeaf helped too.Cant wait to hear how it goes when you are activated as these are all questions I have myself.Having my bad ear impanted also and do know what things are supposed to sound like due to my better ear so im wondering too.Somewhere there is something to click on that is supposed to let you hear what cochlear implant hearing is like.It was really late at night so I couldnt click on it as I would have had to blast it to hear it. I never did find it again.Maybe someone knows what I'm talking about.I'm hoping all those accesories are supplied when you go for mapping.

I'm also wondering, for those of you who are bilateral, is hearing through cochlear implant worse with what used to be your worse hearing ear? I got my bad ear implanted, and since I've never heard anything useful out of it, I'm wondering if there will be fewer auditory neurons and how that will affect my potential. I know what things should sound like because of my left ear hearing.

I can't answer the question but I will be very interested to see how you go with your bad ear. So it was never stimulated? I'm getting my bad ear implanted next time around and while it's been stimulated, it's poorer than my good ear as I didn't get sound in that ear until I was 10. I'm not expecting the results to be as good for that reason.

Have you discussed with your surgeon about realistic expectations from the different ears?

Back