Partially hearing woman seeks asl users and Deaf/deaf/HoH friends

sambam

Reaction score
Hello all my name is Sam and I am new to the community. I am in the Army and I have severe to profound hearing loss. I am new to the ASL community and I am sekeing to learn this new language. I have enrolled in ASL in college but I need to learn this language for survival! I am looking for new friends and people to help me learn this language and to help me on this journey! PLEASE HELP! And feel free to email me @ happilezz@gmail.com

Hi sambam,

Welcome to Alldeaf:)

Have you ever used skype or other programs for videochat?

Hello all my name is Sam and I am new to the community. I am in the Army and I have severe to profound hearing loss. I am new to the ASL community and I am sekeing to learn this new language. I have enrolled in ASL in college but I need to learn this language for survival! I am looking for new friends and people to help me learn this language and to help me on this journey! PLEASE HELP! And feel free to email me @ happilezz@gmail.com

You are in the Army? How can that be?

Our family friend was deafened in a tank explosion, and was discharged on disability after. He kept on working as a tank mechanic as a civilian employee, but was not allowed to remain in the army as a deaf person.

Hey Sambam,
:welcome:You're going to like it here!
if you ever want to talk, message me :)

You are in the Army? How can that be?

Our family friend was deafened in a tank explosion, and was discharged on disability after. He kept on working as a tank mechanic as a civilian employee, but was not allowed to remain in the army as a deaf person.
I got my injury from going over a missed AED in service and I have since been discharged as well. Sorry for the miscommunication. I just figured that would be a lot to put into an introductory post:(

Thanks for the reply! yes I have used video chat before.

Sure:)

Do you need to start from the very beginning, or have you learned some signs already? How about the alphabet for fingerspelling?

Sure:)

Do you need to start from the very beginning, or have you learned some signs already? How about the alphabet for fingerspelling?
i have learned my alphabet (fingerspelling) and numbers 1-10... also some beginner signs and phrases. i can identify mother father and some other words.. but not much else:(

i have learned my alphabet (fingerspelling) and numbers 1-10... also some beginner signs and phrases. i can identify mother father and some other words.. but not much else:(

no sad faces.

That's a good start. With the alphabet, you can practice your fingerspelling reception while you learn new signs. ("what? I don't know what one. What's that?" - then they spell it, etc.)

It's all good from here: everything you learn at one level will help you learn a little better as you move on to the next, and it's such great stuff. Do you feel like trying a skype session, like starting in the next five or ten minutes?

no sad faces.

That's a good start. With the alphabet, you can practice your fingerspelling reception while you learn new signs. ("what? I don't know what one. What's that?" - then they spell it, etc.)

It's all good from here: everything you learn at one level will help you learn a little better as you move on to the next, and it's such great stuff. Do you feel like trying a skype session, like starting in the next five or ten minutes?
sure!! my skype name is samASLbam... i should be home in about 15 minutes!

welcome to AD! my loss is quite like yours but it's in the left only lol
nice to see an Army guy lurking around here ;)

I know how to do 'turtle' but it's hard to talk only knowing that . LOL!

Back