Parents want hearing school to get state funding

And generally, it would be. It is cheaper to pay the $25,000 to send a child to CID than hire a bunch of TOD's, an audiologist, an SLP who works with deaf kids, a handful of classroom aides, bus the kids to a central location, buy them all FM's, etc, etc, etc
Ah, so it is about the money. It might be that the public school wants to save money, so that's why they recommend sending the student elsewhere. :hmm:

A rep from the child's home district, a regular ed teacher, the special ed teacher, a rep from the placement they are going to go to, and the parents.
Are you saying that the IEP contract is signed by the private school even before the team and family determine that the student will be placed there?

Do you have an example of this?

Ah, so it is about the money. It might be that the public school wants to save money, so that's why they recommend sending the student elsewhere. :hmm:

I never said it wasn't. I said that schools must pay for a private placement if they can not provide a free and appropriate education to a student.

Yeah. If the IEP says that you go there, you go for free.

Not every oral kid will need to go there. Eventually the goal would be to mainstream them. They would only attend the school while they needed it. When it was appropriate, they would have a different placement.

No I meant the other way. Is every student at the PA school going there for free?

Are you saying that the IEP contract is signed by the private school even before the team and family determine that the student will be placed there?

Do you have an example of this?

They don't sign until the end.

Generally, you know how an IEP meeting is going to go before you walk in, so we have the right players there so it can be all done in one meeting.

For example, whe my daughter was transitioning from EI to preschool, we knew we wanted her placed at the bi-bi school, so we made sure the rep was there.

And if I moved here to St. Louis, we would have an IEP meeting and make sure that CID was there in addition to the local school district.

You have the right to ask that they transport your child to and from WSD, everyday. You have the right to ask for your child to be placed in the LRE, if you don't want it, that's your decision, but don't think that parents who advocate for their children are selfish.

And put my 3 year old on the road 5 hours a day? I'm not sure that's even legal.

Of course I want LRE, but exactly how does anyone enforce it? Next year she's in a TC classroom with 3 other deaf/HOH kids (and this is the biggest dhh program in the northern half of the state). That's as LRE as it's going to get while still maintaining FAPE. I can't mandate that those kids MUST become ASL users just like their parents can't force her to become AV/SEE/oral.

I never said it wasn't. I said that schools must pay for a private placement if they can not provide a free and appropriate education to a student.
You did say, "They would be required by law to change the school for the student, regardless of the price," "Money is, legally, not supposed to ever be a factor" and "In fact it is patently illegal for the school to deny a placement or service or accomidation because of the price."

That appeared to me to mean that the school district couldn't make price a deciding factor.

And put my 3 year old on the road 5 hours a day? I'm not sure that's even legal.

Of course I want LRE, but exactly how does anyone enforce it? Next year she's in a TC classroom with 3 other deaf/HOH kids (and this is the biggest dhh program in the northern half of the state). That's as LRE as it's going to get while still maintaining FAPE. I can't mandate that those kids MUST become ASL users just like their parents can't force her to become AV/SEE/oral.

Then that is the LRE. It isn't perfect, but your child does have the right to her language, not SEE.

And generally, it would be. It is cheaper to pay the $25,000 to send a child to CID than hire a bunch of TOD's, an audiologist, an SLP who works with deaf kids, a handful of classroom aides, bus the kids to a central location, buy them all FM's, etc, etc, etc

hmmm not unless they have varies of DHH in their class, it isn't.

You did say, "They would be required by law to change the school for the student, regardless of the price," "Money is, legally, not supposed to ever be a factor" and "In fact it is patently illegal for the school to deny a placement or service or accomidation because of the price."

That appeared to me to mean that the school district couldn't make price a deciding factor.

They can't deny a service because of the price. They can choose the cheaper of two delievery methods of the same service though.

Nope, just the ones placed there by their IEP teams.

I don't get it..... why would anyone purposefully place their child in that school paying a lot of money when they could just get an IEP via a public school and say "Oh this school is not appropriate for a deaf child like mine. What about that APS approved private school"?

They can't deny a service because of the price. They can choose the cheaper of two delievery methods of the same service though.

Then, conceivably, it could be cheaper to board those students at the school in Pittsburgh than to pay in to the Clark school.

Therefore, no custom ordered private school for you!

The child would have the right to a class in the child's language and mode of communication. In the case of an oral child that would be spoken language and not visual language.

And spoken language is being used at the school districts.

If the language used in the classroom is other than spoken language the placement would no longer be appropriate and the least restrictive enviroment for the oral only student.

ASL is never restrictive for any childwith vision because it is fully accessible to them.

yeah, as long as the lesson is not "Visual"

And to me that sounds the parents having an elist attitude. Every deaf child always benefits from a lesson that is visual. We are deaf and we know what it is like!

Early intervention ends at age 3, Kidergarten begins at 5, what do the kids do in the inbetween.

If they are ready, they enter pre-school. If they are not ready for pre-school per the eval, then EI services can be continued PRN.

Weren't you talking about a public school district paying for a deaf child to attend a private school?

Yes. And since the public school is the home school, the IEP is written through them, and funding for accommodations goes to them, no matter where the child is placed. They are then responsible for reimbursing the contract school for the fees agreed upon.

Back