Parents want hearing school to get state funding

So would you go with whatever the IEP teams say?

Parents are a vital and key part of the IEP team, they work together with professional to find the appropriate services and placement for each child.

IEP teams can't enroll kids in private schools; only the parent or legal guardians can. So you are saying that if an IEP team recommends a private school, and the parents enroll the student in the private school, then the public school district is NOT responsible for paying for that private school tuition. Correct?

No, not correct.

If an IEP team determines that the only appropriate placement is a private school they would write it up in the IEP, which is a legal document, and then the child would be enrolled in the private school and the district would pay.

...I would never personally send my child residential, but many people would and do.
Even if the IEP team said that residential would be the best choice?

In other words, you are willing to not follow the IEP on the basis of your personal viewpoint about residential schools. Therefore, you can't say that the IEP is the final determinant for placement. Therefore, the public school district can turn down a parent's request for private school payment even if the school was recommended by the IEP team.

No, not correct.

If an IEP team determines that the only appropriate placement is a private school they would write it up in the IEP, which is a legal document, and then the child would be enrolled in the private school and the district would pay.
I don't know of any private school that would accept some "team" as a legal guardian for enrolling a student.

The public school has to recognize the IEP contract but private schools do not. The contract is not between the IEP and the private school so they wouldn't be bound to it.

Private schools can refuse to accept students for whatever reasons. That's why they are private, not government run. Private schools require contracts between the parents and the school. They don't make contracts with government agencies (public school districts).

Even if the IEP team said that residential would be the best choice?

In other words, you are willing to not follow the IEP on the basis of your personal viewpoint about residential schools. Therefore, you can't say that the IEP is the final determinant for placement. Therefore, the public school district can turn down a parent's request for private school payment even if the school was recommended by the IEP team.

The least restrictive enviroment is very rarely a residential placement. If I had a child with a severe mental illness or another disability that required a residential placement, I would reevaluate. Deafness is my child's educational need, therefore I do not see why she would need a residential placement.

A parent has the right to refuse the IEP. They can say that they do not wish their child to receive any services at all, and they can be mainstreamed with no support. The school can NOT. What the IEP team determines is law. They are legally required to fufill the IEP.

I don't know of any private school that would accept some "team" as a legal guardian for enrolling a student.

The public school has to recognize the IEP contract but private schools do not. The contract is not between the IEP and the private school so they wouldn't be bound to it.

Private schools can refuse to accept students for whatever reasons. That's why they are private, not government run. Private schools require contracts between the parents and the school. They don't make contracts with government agencies (public school districts).

The private school would be contracted by the school district to provide the free and appropriate education to the student. The parents would enroll them, just like they would at any school, but the school would be paid by the district and they would be in charge of the student's IEP.

They wouldn't be picking any ol' private school. It would be a private school that is specifically geared for a particular special need. They work with schools everyday and are contracted to provide services.

...A parent has the right to refuse the IEP. They can say that they do not wish their child to receive any services at all, and they can be mainstreamed with no support. The school can NOT. What the IEP team determines is law. They are legally required to fufill the IEP.
Is the IEP team of that public school legally required to fulfill the IEP within that public school district's jurisdiction or can they go outside that district to other public school districts within the state? Enforcement of the IEP doesn't include private schools.

Is the IEP team of that public school legally required to fulfill the IEP within that public school district's jurisdiction or can they go outside that district to other public school districts within the state? Enforcement of the IEP doesn't include private schools.

The IEP team can choose to place a child in whatever school they determine to be the least restrictive enviroment. It could be the neighborhood school, all the way to a specialized in-patient hospital setting. It is whatever is appropriate for the child. It doesn't have to be local, or even in the same state.

If the IEP places the child at a private school, the private school must "enforce" the IEP.

WSD doesn't start boarding until 1st grade and we're not moving until next summer. So, since we have no private schools willing to accommodate special needs kids in our area, my daughter would remain in the public school, in a class all by herself with a private teacher because the self contained DHH early childhood class can't fit her exact needs (OMG! They talk in there!). But wait, there's more! Solo education is not FAPE, so they'd have to hire in a handful of Deaf, ASL only using preschoolers.

So, at a time where teachers are being cut, programs are being cut, schools are being closed and typical kids are struggling to get the most basic appropriate education (they aren't privvy to FAPE or LRE), they're supposed to hire 1 or more staff and set up a "private" public education for my 1 kid.

I'd be the world's biggest asshat to expect that.

Suck it up and make what's available work for you. Your kid may just have to be 'exposed' to an array of not-quite-as-special-as-them kids. If that's just too much for you have the right to seek out the private option... at your own cost.

The minute a private school takes public funds, I want a say in what goes on there.

The only way I see that it would be reasonable for the public school district to pay for tuition at a private special needs school would be if it's actually cheaper for the state to do that rather than make accommodations at a public school. If the district can save taxpayer money thru contracting out services, then it might be worth it.

WSD doesn't start boarding until 1st grade and we're not moving until next summer. So, since we have no private schools willing to accommodate special needs kids in our area, my daughter would remain in the public school, in a class all by herself with a private teacher because the self contained DHH early childhood class can't fit her exact needs (OMG! They talk in there!). But wait, there's more! Solo education is not FAPE, so they'd have to hire in a handful of Deaf, ASL only using preschoolers.

So, at a time where teachers are being cut, programs are being cut, schools are being closed and typical kids are struggling to get the most basic appropriate education (they aren't privvy to FAPE or LRE), they're supposed to hire 1 or more staff and set up a "private" public education for my 1 kid.

I'd be the world's biggest asshat to expect that.

Suck it up and make what's available work for you. Your kid may just have to be 'exposed' to an array of not-quite-as-special-as-them kids. If that's just too much for you have the right to seek out the private option... at your own cost.

The minute a private school takes public funds, I want a say in what goes on there.

You have the right to ask that they transport your child to and from WSD, everyday. You have the right to ask for your child to be placed in the LRE, if you don't want it, that's your decision, but don't think that parents who advocate for their children are selfish.

...If the IEP places the child at a private school, the private school must "enforce" the IEP.
Why? I mean, what is the legal reason? Who are the signees on the IEP contract?

No, it can't. The private school (in PA) must be on approved list. Clarke wasn't, so the parents are asking that Clarke be added to the list.

What makes you so sure that if Clarke was added to the list, the IEP would say to go there?

Are you saying every single oral deaf person who goes to that one approved school (in PA i think) goes there for free?

Just trying to understand.

The only way I see that it would be reasonable for the public school district to pay for tuition at a private special needs school would be if it's actually cheaper for the state to do that rather than make accommodations at a public school. If the district can save taxpayer money thru contracting out services, then it might be worth it.

And generally, it would be. It is cheaper to pay the $25,000 to send a child to CID than hire a bunch of TOD's, an audiologist, an SLP who works with deaf kids, a handful of classroom aides, bus the kids to a central location, buy them all FM's, etc, etc, etc

What makes you so sure that if Clarke was added to the list, the IEP would say to go there?

Are you saying every single oral deaf person who goes to that one approved school (in PA i think) goes there for free?

Just trying to understand.

Yeah. If the IEP says that you go there, you go for free.

Not every oral kid will need to go there. Eventually the goal would be to mainstream them. They would only attend the school while they needed it. When it was appropriate, they would have a different placement.

Yes, for those who sign it. Who signs the IEP?

A rep from the child's home district, a regular ed teacher, the special ed teacher, a rep from the placement they are going to go to, and the parents.

And it is legally binding period. If a child moves, their IEP is still active until they get a new one. They new teachers have to use it, even though they weren't involved in it's drafting.

Back