Parents want hearing school to get state funding

Cases are decided on an individual basis. Don't be so certain that just because they did it for one child, they will do it for all children.

But the point is, if you want her in CID, then move to St. Louis.

I might, and I won't pay for tution :D

I might, and I won't pay for tution :D

No, but you will pay for the relocation to be in the area where you don't have to pay tuition. The parents in the article have the same option available to them.

Your child has the right to attend the least restrictive enviroment. That means a classroom in which she can interact with her peers in her native language and mode of communication. If the school is not providing that they are violating the law, and you are letting them.

WTF?!

Exactly how is a public school supposed to enforce ASL use by non-native users? Just like they cannot force my kid to use speech/English for whatever reason, they cannot force others to use ASL. Would that not also be a violation of the law?

There are no other ASL users in the school... other than that 5th grader who moved on to middle school. Maybe they should hold him back so Katie has someone to talk to... or promote her to 6th grade at 3? Her ToD doesn't even use ASL.

For me to think or expect this would be highly presumptuous and self serving. I would much, MUCH rather move to the Deaf school where the kids there aren't forced to learn a language to talk to my kid.

WTF?!

Exactly how is a public school supposed to enforce ASL use by non-native users? Just like they cannot force my kid to use speech/English for whatever reason, they cannot force others to use ASL. Would that not also be a violation of the law?

There are no other ASL users in the school... other than that 5th grader who moved on to middle school. Maybe they should hold him back so Katie has someone to talk to... or promote her to 6th grade at 3? Her ToD doesn't even use ASL.

For me to think or expect this would be highly presumptuous and self serving. I would much, MUCH rather move to the Deaf school where the kids there aren't forced to learn a language to talk to my kid.

Bingo. FJ has some very mistaken ideas of what the law actually provides for.

No, but you will pay for the relocation to be in the area where you don't have to pay tuition. The parents in the article have the same option available to them.

But they don't have the same option. Parents in St Louis have their children attending one of 3 PRIVATE oral deaf schools with the district paying the bill. That is exactly what these parents are asking for.

Clearly the state pays for some private school placements, they hae a list of approved ones! The parents just want Clarke added to the list.

But they don't have the same option. Parents in St Louis have their children attending one of 3 PRIVATE oral deaf schools with the district paying the bill. That is exactly what these parents are asking for.

Clearly the state pays for some private school placements, they hae a list of approved ones! The parents just want Clarke added to the list.

Yes, they do have the same option. They can move to St. Louis if they want the services provided by the St. Louis school district. If you are under the mistaken belief that all school systems are equal, you are really in for a rude awakening.

WTF?!

My job isn't to fix the schools problems, it is to advocate for what my child needs. If my daughter was not receiving a free and appropriate education, I would fight...

Yes, they do have the same option. They can move to St. Louis if they want the services provided by the St. Louis school district. If you are under the mistaken belief that all school systems are equal, you are really in for a rude awakening.

I think it is crappy that they aren't. If the law allows it, why can't they support it.

My job isn't to fix the schools problems, it is to advocate for what my child needs. If my daughter was not receiving a free and appropriate education, I would fight...

See, there you go. The school is responsible for deciding what is appropriate, not you. If they provide the services they feel meet her needs, and you think she needs something more, then you are responsible for providing that something more.

See, there you go. The school is responsible for deciding what is appropriate, not you. If they provide the services they feel meet her needs, and you think she needs something more, then you are responsible for providing that something more.

And she is. She's a good mother.

I think it is crappy that they aren't. If the law allows it, why can't they support it.

Ever hear of that little thing called funding? And NCLB and the way it affects funding? School systems are not, nor have they ever been, identical in what they provide. The law does not provide for them to be. Interpretation of what is appropriate accommodation is based on what the home school can provide. You don't like the fact that your district is one of the poor ones and cannot afford all the extras? Move to a district that can.

And she is. She's a good mother.

No one said she wasn't. This isn't about being a "good mother." It is about the parents in the OP not wanting to take responsibility for providing the extras they want their child to have.

But also, your child has rights too. She has the right to a free and appropriate education, why aren't you fighting for her rights? If her education isn't appropriate, she should get one.

Look, I don't know about you, but I'm not sitting on a chest of gold. Moving costs money, jobs must be found, housing established... none of which we can do now. No money, no job, no house... not exactly the way to kick off a new school year, huh?

What the hell else am I supposed to do? Her IEP is written to her needs. She's getting ASL support and will be getting terp services. I've done everything there is to do to make a bad fit a little bit better. Mainstreaming/TC with NEVER be optimal, unless she's in a class all by herself with a Deaf teacher.

Dear State of Wisconsin,

My kid needs to go to the state school of the deaf. We can't really afford to move right now and she's too young to board, so could you go ahead and move the school up here in the next 8 weeks? Even just the preschool program would be great.

kthxbai.

Sometimes the harsh criticism she comes in for doesn't leave room to be nice.

Everyone needs to know they aren't doing everything wrong.

The "you" being used in the posts are not directed specifically at FJ. They are generic. As related to all parents who make a choice for their child. They then have the responsibility that goes along with that choice. The only "you" directed specifically at FJ were the ones related to misinterpretation of what the law provides for.

Everyone knows that when you have unique or special need child, You have to make sacrifices. If your child have cancer, you have to move where the best cancer center is no matter what's the cost. If your child have a mental disorder, and the school won't take them, you have to move as well. etc.

WRONG, the IEP TEAM decides what is appropriate, and I am a 50% stakeholder in the IEP team. They get a vote, and I get a vote. In fact, I am the strongest member becaue they can not change the IEP without my permission, but I can unilaterially move my child or pull them out of school completely.

Back