Parents want hearing school to get state funding

A child can only function in the mainstream once they have age appropriate language. If the child is severely delayed, how will they learn the language and the curriculum if not in a special setting?

That is why the mainstream provides SLPs for language enrichment and therapy added to the IEP.

How did the child get to be so severely delayed? Right back to parental choice. Choice isn't free. You have the responsibility to that choice.

That is why the mainstream provides SLPs for language enrichment and therapy added to the IEP.

How did the child get to be so severely delayed? Right back to parental choice. Choice isn't free. You have the responsibility to that choice.

An SLP is not a TOD, they have very different jobs. A deaf child needs a teacher, not just speech therapy. You are encouraging exactly what doesn't work, pretending that an oral deaf kid is just a hearing kid.

An SLP is not a TOD, they have very different jobs. A deaf child needs a teacher, not just speech therapy. You are encouraging exactly what doesn't work, pretending that an oral deaf kid is just a hearing kid.

An oral child is not guaranteed a TOD. Even a signing child is not guaranteed a TOD under the law. They are simply guaranteed the right to a teacher that knows sign or an interpreter.

I am not encouraging anything of the kind. I am pointing out that when you make the choice for your child to be oral, these are the consequences of that choice. You want the right to choose, then you accept the responsibility of the consequences. One of those consequences is that the law considers the home school to be the appropriate placement for the oral child. Deal with it. You made the choice. If you don't want your oral kid in the mainstream, then pay for a private placement.

And while you are at it, think about it the next time you use ability to interact with the hearing world as an excuse for putting a deaf child in an oral only environment.

An oral child is not guaranteed a TOD. Even a signing child is not guaranteed a TOD under the law. They are simply guaranteed the right to a teacher that knows sign or an interpreter.

I am not encouraging anything of the kind. I am pointing out that when you make the choice for your child to be oral, these are the consequences of that choice. You want the right to choose, then you accept the responsibility of the consequences. One of those consequences is that the law considers the home school to be the appropriate placement for the oral child. Deal with it. You made the choice. If you don't want your oral kid in the mainstream, then pay for a private placement.

And while you are at it, think about it the next time you use ability to interact with the hearing world as an excuse for putting a deaf child in an oral only environment.

The law doesn't support your position. If the school can not provide an appropriate placement for a special needs student, they have to pay for one. It happens all the time, with deaf kids, those with autism, and other situations.

So fight for it! How do programs get changed unless it is through the actions of passionate people? USD didn't offer an ASL program so the parents who wanted one started one. If what the school offers isn't appropriate, fight to get your child what they need, don't just live with it!

There's nothing to fight and I'm not just living with it, as you put it. If it were 'living with it' she would end up wallowing in a TC/mainstreamed hell with no friends she could talk to, a terp stalking her around the school and wasting a butt load of time sitting in a speech room learning to say 'baseball' and 'hot dog'. I would go ahead and let the school make all the choices and not waste my time working with her over the summer because the school decided she didn't need summer services.

What program changes could I make? the program is about CHOICE. Everyone gets to make one or several, as need be, even the hearing kids' parents. Other parents have made choices for their deaf kids and I can't change that. I can't force them or the hearing kids to sign. I can't force the teachers to sign. There are no other programs in our area, nor is there need enough (or funding) to start one.

Should I force change to an established program where my child is a minority (even within the DHH program) that is working fine for the other 40 kids enrolled because my kid is a special snowflake? Maybe, being an adult who made informed decisions, I should adapt my life to my child's needs and the choices I made regarding those needs.

My kid needs to go to school with kids like her. That's NOT going to happen here, program changes or no. My CHOICES dictate my options. I chose to make her bi-bi. I chose ASL as her language. I believe mainstreaming is a crappy option and I choose to send her to a more appropriate school. In Wisconsin, the state school is in Delevan. I feel that educational setting is best for my child. I feel she needs to go at least 1 year of preschool there. boarding options do not begin until 1st grade. Therefore, logically, I have to move to Delevan before September 1, 2011.

I don't need to fight. I don't need to live with it. I need to adapt. That's what parents do.

There's nothing to fight and I'm not just living with it, as you put it. If it were 'living with it' she would end up wallowing in a TC/mainstreamed hell with no friends she could talk to, a terp stalking her around the school and wasting a butt load of time sitting in a speech room learning to say 'baseball' and 'hot dog'. I would go ahead and let the school make all the choices and not waste my time working with her over the summer because the school decided she didn't need summer services.

What program changes could I make? the program is about CHOICE. Everyone gets to make one or several, as need be, even the hearing kids' parents. Other parents have made choices for their deaf kids and I can't change that. I can't force them or the hearing kids to sign. I can't force the teachers to sign. There are no other programs in our area, nor is there need enough (or funding) to start one.

Should I force change to an established program where my child is a minority (even within the DHH program) that is working fine for the other 40 kids enrolled because my kid is a special snowflake? Maybe, being an adult who made informed decisions, I should adapt my life to my child's needs and the choices I made regarding those needs.

My kid needs to go to school with kids like her. That's NOT going to happen here, program changes or no. My CHOICES dictate my options. I chose to make her bi-bi. I chose ASL as her language. I believe mainstreaming is a crappy option and I choose to send her to a more appropriate school. In Wisconsin, the state school is in Delevan. I feel that educational setting is best for my child. I feel she needs to go at least 1 year of preschool there. boarding options do not begin until 1st grade. Therefore, logically, I have to move to Delevan before September 1, 2011.

I don't need to fight. I don't need to live with it. I need to adapt. That's what parents do.

And you leave, and the next parent is left with the same shitty program they have now.

The law doesn't support your position. If the school can not provide an appropriate placement for a special needs student, they have to pay for one. It happens all the time, with deaf kids, those with autism, and other situations.

The law very much supports my position. Perhaps you need to refresh your understanding of the law.

Again, an oral child can be accommodated in the mainstream. That means they are receiving what the law considers to be appropriate services. Just as in the case of an ASL student. If the home district provides an interpreter, they have met the burden of appropriate services under the law. An ASL child is not guaranteed placement at a deaf school just because they use ASL. Autistic students are accommodated in the mainstream on a daily basis. As are students with other special needs. The only ones that are not accommodated in the mainstream are those whose disability is so severe that they would be endangered in a mainstream environment. That is what special ed classes are for. That is what personal aids are for. Accommodation in the mainstream.

You seem to think that appropriate services are whatever the parent demands. It doesn't work that way. Even in due process, you have an administrative law judge that has no idea what is needed for any particular child or disability. He relies on the information presented at the hearing. Who do you think is going to carry more weight: several teachers and administrators with years of teaching experience who present the case that the child is being accommodated, or a parent demanding private tuition be paid? The parent will be seen as unreasonable, because they have other options available, and simply don't want to pay for them.

And you leave, and the next parent is left with the same shitty program they have now.

There are still options. Take advantage of them and stop expecting the state system to assume full responsibility for your decisions.

Your child has the right to attend the least restrictive enviroment. That means a classroom in which she can interact with her peers in her native language and mode of communication. If the school is not providing that they are violating the law, and you are letting them.

The bolded is it in a nutshell. You are to be admired for understanding the responsibility of being a parent.

The law very much supports my position. Perhaps you need to refresh your understanding of the law.

Again, an oral child can be accommodated in the mainstream. That means they are receiving what the law considers to be appropriate services. Just as in the case of an ASL student. If the home district provides an interpreter, they have met the burden of appropriate services under the law. An ASL child is not guaranteed placement at a deaf school just because they use ASL. Autistic students are accommodated in the mainstream on a daily basis. As are students with other special needs. The only ones that are not accommodated in the mainstream are those whose disability is so severe that they would be endangered in a mainstream environment. That is what special ed classes are for. That is what personal aids are for. Accommodation in the mainstream.

You seem to think that appropriate services are whatever the parent demands. It doesn't work that way. Even in due process, you have an administrative law judge that has no idea what is needed for any particular child or disability. He relies on the information presented at the hearing. Who do you think is going to carry more weight: several teachers and administrators with years of teaching experience who present the case that the child is being accommodated, or a parent demanding private tuition be paid? The parent will be seen as unreasonable, because they have other options available, and simply don't want to pay for them.

That isn't true. The law says that you must take into account the child's opportunites for direct communication with peers and teachers (something along those lines). That means that an interpreter isn't good enough.

I feel like this is the pot calling the kettle black, because didn't Jillio sue her school district because her son's placement????

Your child has the right to attend the least restrictive enviroment. That means a classroom in which she can interact with her peers in her native language and mode of communication. If the school is not providing that they are violating the law, and you are letting them.

Not according to the legal interpretation. LRE is generally interpreted as the home school district.

You are very new to all of this. Stick around for about 20 years and you will learn that your interpretations of the law are very much mistaken. And quite frankly, neither the school system nor their lawyers care much how you interpret the law. What carries the weight and makes the decisions is the way the courts interpret the law. And it has been shown again and again, the courts determine the LRE the same way that school administration does.

It's not a 'shitty program'. It's just not a good fit for my kid. It is a good TC program that uses SEE and speech therapy in a mainstream setting. Just because it's a bad fit for one doesn't make it a bad program for all.

Besides, the next parent has a choice, too, as did the parents before me. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

I feel like this is the pot calling the kettle black, because didn't Jillio sue her school district because her son's placement????

I don't get your point. I took my son's school district to due process because they were not providing an interpreter for an ASL based child. Very different situation.

When I wanted my child in a private deaf school, I moved 600 miles to put him there. I didn't ask anyone to do it for me.

Not according to the legal interpretation. LRE is generally interpreted as the home school district.

You are very new to all of this. Stick around for about 20 years and you will learn that your interpretations of the law are very much mistaken. And quite frankly, neither the school system nor their lawyers care much how you interpret the law. What carries the weight and makes the decisions is the way the courts interpret the law. And it has been shown again and again, the courts determine the LRE the same way that school administration does.

I know that if I move her to St. Louis the district will be paying for her placement at CID, just like they are all the kids :dunno:

I know that if I move her to St. Louis the district will be paying for her placement at CID, just like they are all the kids :shrug:

Cases are decided on an individual basis. Don't be so certain that just because they did it for one child, they will do it for all children.

But the point is, if you want her in CID, then move to St. Louis.

It's not a 'shitty program'. It's just not a good fit for my kid. It is a good TC program that uses SEE and speech therapy in a mainstream setting. Just because it's a bad fit for one doesn't make it a bad program for all.

Besides, the next parent has a choice, too, as did the parents before me. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

But also, your child has rights too. She has the right to a free and appropriate education, why aren't you fighting for her rights? If her education isn't appropriate, she should get one.

Back