Parents sue to keep SD School for the Deaf open

I don't think that occurs because of a lack of social skills in kids attending Deaf schools, but more just a personal comfort level and preference. Studies have shown that kids attending Deaf schools have greater psycho-social adjustment and better social skills than those who are isolated in the mainstream.

Deaf/HH children can develop more social skills in general at a Deaf school. I was just talking about in particular being used to and knowing how to deal with the situation where everyone is hearing except you. I totally agree that a Deaf environment helps foster socialization because the communication barrier is lifted.

There's something to be said about being mainstreamed and developing the social skills needed for that situation that happens over and over again: being the only Deaf/HH person in the room.
Sorry but, most mainstreamed kids don't develop great inter dhh-hearing social abilty. I do agree that dhh kids should get the chance to develop social abilty with hearing kids..........but that shouldn't be their sole social focus.

Sorry but, most mainstreamed kids don't develop great inter dhh-hearing social abilty. I do agree that dhh kids should get the chance to develop social abilty with hearing kids..........but that shouldn't be their sole social focus.

I agree with you. If a Deaf child is mainstreamed, they should definitely have interaction with other Deaf/HH people elsewhere. Maybe at church or an after school program.

I agree with you. If a Deaf child is mainstreamed, they should definitely have interaction with other Deaf/HH people elsewhere. Maybe at church or an after school program.

Well then I must be the most well adjusted of you all. :)

Back