Parents of deaf children!

SB_GB_4ever

Reaction score
I think that parents of deaf children need to treat them like any otherchild hearing or not. Parents treat them like they are stupid and uncapable of living there lives. If they were given leway and allowed to experence life they would go alot further and be more and do more with there lives. Among the people i kow and my girlfriends friends deaf kids and teens are not treated like they should be. So i guess my question to any parents of deaf or hard of hearing kids is why do yall shelter them so much they are just as good and worthy of life as a hearing kid given more freedom. Explain that to me please.

I agree. That is very common for students here at NTID. They're spoiled so bad that they don't know how to drive properly, study properly, or work properly. As a result, they're easily swayed to drink, smoke, do drugs, and fail school. :roll:

Oh sad i only got 1 post on this. I really would like to know the answer. Or people opinion about it.

I have some friends are deaf or hearing parents with deaf children... From what I have see.. They are treating like other children.. I am glad that they are doing well and great kids..

For me, If my kids are deaf.. I would do the same thing treat same, encourage them to get involve with hearing and deaf, like there's nothing you can stop them :)

That is good to hear. From what i have seen is many people with deaf children treat them diffenernt and i dont like that.

I am deaf myself and have 2 deaf children. I don't treat them any different. I treat them as normal as other childrens are. But yeah, I've seen some hearing parents of deaf children that are too over protective, so and on and with that result, the child is not adaptable to be able to go through it's own battles, so and on.

I like to think that I am completely different from what you are saying. In talking to other Hearies with Deaf kids I find that they see them as being abnormal and needing to be fixed to become normal. I want Little G to experience the Deaf culture and to sign, but I also want him to be a full part of the hearing world and to have every advantage in life. I have met many Deaf and HOH people whose primary language is ASL and their own family has never even bothered to learn it. I am as shocked and outraged at that as you are. Maybe since I had a dyslexic son first it is a little different for me, or maybe I'm just a better parent. I could not imagine never learning to communicate with my child. I think some people are afraid it was "somehow their fault" maybe they drank during pregnancy or something and they blame themself so they withdrawl. I think some people are ashamed to have a child that is "different." Don't shoot the messenger here because I'm trying to give an honest answer to an honest question. I love all of my children equally. My youngest so far doesn't appear to have any obstacles to overcome. I think they are all unique and wonderful and I wouldn't change any of them. I have made sure that my oldest got the best education possible. He has tried to use his dyslexia as a crutch but I make him do the work. He graduates next week. I am trying to do the same thing with Little G. Whether I mainstream him or send him to the deaf school I will make sure he gets a good education. I can't immagine anything less. Unfortunately some people are just not as enlightened. I do have a friend who did learn to sign for her son and main streamed him and pushed him. I'm sure there are others. We can only hope to educate the bad ones. Unfortunatley the world is full of idiots and some of them are parents. I hope this helps.

I have seen that a lot in my college time and as wel from working with children. Just recently after working with many children near the age of 5 and 6, parents continue to be overly protective to those with hearing loss/deafness. It's perfectly understandable, these children are young and these parents are doing this for the first time handling deaf children. The problem is parents did not know WHEN to let go and start from there. Becuase some of them were not ready or doesnt' know how to be prepared to let these children be is what cuase these children to be depenent on the parents and parents continues to "control" their children's lives. It's sad to see that and parents need to know that timing is everyting in their children's lives.

How does one be able to live the life they want to have? Just let them be and they will learn one way or another with or without the help.

zookeeper4321 said:
I like to think that I am completely different from what you are saying. In talking to other Hearies with Deaf kids I find that they see them as being abnormal and needing to be fixed to become normal. I want Little G to experience the Deaf culture and to sign, but I also want him to be a full part of the hearing world and to have every advantage in life. I have met many Deaf and HOH people whose primary language is ASL and their own family has never even bothered to learn it. I am as shocked and outraged at that as you are. Maybe since I had a dyslexic son first it is a little different for me, or maybe I'm just a better parent. I could not imagine never learning to communicate with my child. I think some people are afraid it was "somehow their fault" maybe they drank during pregnancy or something and they blame themself so they withdrawl. I think some people are ashamed to have a child that is "different." Don't shoot the messenger here because I'm trying to give an honest answer to an honest question. I love all of my children equally. My youngest so far doesn't appear to have any obstacles to overcome. I think they are all unique and wonderful and I wouldn't change any of them. I have made sure that my oldest got the best education possible. He has tried to use his dyslexia as a crutch but I make him do the work. He graduates next week. I am trying to do the same thing with Little G. Whether I mainstream him or send him to the deaf school I will make sure he gets a good education. I can't immagine anything less. Unfortunately some people are just not as enlightened. I do have a friend who did learn to sign for her son and main streamed him and pushed him. I'm sure there are others. We can only hope to educate the bad ones. Unfortunatley the world is full of idiots and some of them are parents. I hope this helps.

You sound like a great parent. And you would never have to say dont shoot the messanger because what ever you belive is your opinion and you deserve that. I dont judge people I dont know. Keep up with the good work and be all you can be and everything will work out in the end.

zookeeper4321 said:

I think it is really great that you are wanting the best for your son and to push the max for what he deserves. I have nothing against for you or any other parents wanting the child to have the best of both worlds whether it's the deaf or hearing world. It would be an advantage if it was coming from both of these worlds. I also agree with you, I just cannot even imagine not being able to communicate with my child either because you know, the communication is the key to everything and of course it is imperative as well. Yes, There are bound to be bad apples down the road but in time, they will learn through awareness and education.

I am just saying that I have seen some hearing parents not being able to treat their deaf child so equally, They are not being able to adapt to that very well and they just don't really understand HOW to find a way to be able to communicate with the child effectively. I am not against ALL hearing parents with their deaf children. I am just speaking from my experiences, visually, that is when I see it from my other friends who has hearing parents as well.

Every and each one of us are entitled to our opinions. I think most of us would appreciate a honest answer to a honest opinion. That's what makes it helpful when there's an answer to a question - It is to be aware and educated through that Q and A stuffs.

Back