Parents of a deaf student plan to sue SAU 16 for not providing an adequate education

I just went to the schools website to see if they had any info and apparently they do offer the charter but only two counties away from where they are. But in hindsight that is a two hour drive from where I am. So I wonder if maybe we could set up something like that. 2 hours isn't really that far right?

Wirelessly posted

That is doable. I know some people who drive two hours each way for work every day. You would just need to figure out out a couple times a week.

I had originally wanted to drive him but then my husband got all tiffy and said it wouldn't be fair to my other children if I were gone for a week. And I shot back with well it isn't fair that my sons have to go to schools that don't accomodate their needs. This is a heated debate in our household on a regular basis. I am all for moving but I look at it logically right now and it just couldn't happen. But like I had mentioned maybe things will be different in 5-6 years when he has to go to middle school or junior high or whatever they call it. At least I have my fingers crossed for it.

Sorry not trying to hi jack the thread or anything :)

No, I meant drive him (drop off) and go back home until Friday and then pick him up. I know it may not feel ideal, but it's what many do. Sorry if I have not understood something correctly here.

No, I meant drive him (drop off) and go back home until Friday and then pick him up. I know it may not feel ideal, but it's what many do. Sorry if I have not understood something correctly here.

But then I do that whole I am a terrible mom not being close. That's why I am finding this to be a difficult situation I want to be around for all of my kids when they need me if they need me and while they need me (i know that won't last forever) but I feel like unless I get a clone that will never happen lol.

There were several students in my son's school whose parents utilized just that option.

But then I do that whole I am a terrible mom not being close. That's why I am finding this to be a difficult situation I want to be around for all of my kids when they need me if they need me and while they need me (i know that won't last forever) but I feel like unless I get a clone that will never happen lol.

I totally understand. A friend of mine has a daughter who used to be mainstreamed. The family made the decision to let her go to the deaf school this year (the whole Sunday drop off, Friday pickup as I mentioned). The mom, who is a friend of ours, hates not having her daughter around during the week, we've seen her in tears. She misses her. But, the daughter is totally thriving and loving her deaf school. I understand the parent vs. child feelings about being "gone for the week".

And that is what I want^^ How old is the friends daughter? I don't know when will be a good age. Not that I am not loving the class he is in now but I know he will be behind if I keep him in it to long. He can only get so much from me even though I am trying.

And that is what I want^^ How old is the friends daughter? I don't know when will be a good age. Not that I am not loving the class he is in now but I know he will be behind if I keep him in it to long. He can only get so much from me even though I am trying.

She is 14.

I feel that would be comfortable for us. My final obstacle would be getting my husband to agree :-( that is a whole other topic unfortunately.

I really really REALLY do not want to mainstream my sons. I don't. From the stories I have read here, from everyones experiences it makes me ill. I don't want my children to go through anything bad or negative. But in my defense I see no other obstacle. I wanted to go back to that one thread but can't figure out the site well enough to see if anyone ever responded to my question but here it is again.

The closest school for the deaf or hoh is 4 hours away from here. I live in rural nowhere. They have a program at the school he is at now for deaf or hoh but it will only be through elementary. Which is fine. At least he gets asl with teachers one on one and terps and what not. Anyways my question. When he gets to junior high should I drive him on the weekends to this school. Like drive up on Sundays stay there through the week and come back fridays? Please try to keep in mind I have four children and both my husband and I work full time the idea of moving is frightful right now. Maybe later it will be different so it may not be something I need to wonder about right this second but I like to plan. I just want the best for the both of them.

Just wanted to say I think it rocks that you're open to your son being a res student at Deaf school for middle school and high school! Transportation and being away from mom and dad can be tough....BUT the experiance of living in the dorms can be amazing!!! I think it also really helps with independence too.

blondon, what's your state's Deaf School like? There are ALWAYS kids who are very academic, especially at the larger schools....but you may have to move out of state to a state with a good deaf school. Or you could send him to MSSD....that's another option too you know. I do have to say it warms the heart that you're now realizing that mainstreaming might not be a great option in middle and high school. For the parents who are lurking.....please, this is an important factor... hearing.middle and high school are HELL and no kid with a disabilty should ever have to deal with it....even if your kid is an oral sucess, they can still strongly benifit from learning ASL as a second language. And believe me, I think that if deaf schools advertised that they were oral friendly, they'd have a plethora of transfers by kids who are oral sucesses but who are struggling in the mainstream.

blondon, on the other hand I think it's a bit different when the kid is an older kid or a teenager. For older kids/teens living at school can be like a really good summer camp. It's hard being away from your kids....but again as I was talking about this with my second mom, a part of being a mom is strongly encouraging indepedance. Living away at school can be a part of that. Your son can come home for weekends and vacations and things like that. And you guys can go and visit him a lot! It's hard for the parents....but the kids really thrive and love the experiance.

blondon, on the other hand I think it's a bit different when the kid is an older kid or a teenager. For older kids/teens living at school can be like a really good summer camp. It's hard being away from your kids....but again as I was talking about this with my second mom, a part of being a mom is strongly encouraging indepedance. Living away at school can be a part of that. Your son can come home for weekends and vacations and things like that. And you guys can go and visit him a lot! It's hard for the parents....but the kids really thrive and love the experiance.

I want them to be independent, I want them to not be afraid of life and the awesome things and even the not so awesome things that can come of it. But I feel like the little ones I kind of want them to stay close for a while. After all of this conversation I have had some ... (discussions) with my husband and this may be the route we take with driving them to and from. I am sure since we have a few years to get there he will have more issues but when it comes down to it I feel like it will be best.

I want them to be independent, I want them to not be afraid of life and the awesome things and even the not so awesome things that can come of it. But I feel like the little ones I kind of want them to stay close for a while. After all of this conversation I have had some ... (discussions) with my husband and this may be the route we take with driving them to and from. I am sure since we have a few years to get there he will have more issues but when it comes down to it I feel like it will be best.

You seem to be more focused on what you need as a mom than on what your child needs as a deaf student.

I totally understand. A friend of mine has a daughter who used to be mainstreamed. The family made the decision to let her go to the deaf school this year (the whole Sunday drop off, Friday pickup as I mentioned). The mom, who is a friend of ours, hates not having her daughter around during the week, we've seen her in tears. She misses her. But, the daughter is totally thriving and loving her deaf school. I understand the parent vs. child feelings about being "gone for the week".

Exactly. But your friend also realizes that this is not about her needs or her discomfort, but what is best for her daughter. It takes courage to make a decision such as the one your friend made.

Back