Parents of a deaf student plan to sue SAU 16 for not providing an adequate education

You need to spend less time finding excuses why you can't. You are wasting precious time and energy that could be devoted to attending to your son's deaf needs instead of your needs.

You have sat by and watched as your child fell further and further behind in an oral environment, and you want to blame the school system for your failure as a parent to address his needs appropriately. That is pathetic. The school system, in their attempts to meet his needs by providing the visual supports that this child so desperately needs has acted with more consciousness and care for this child than you yourself have. Shame on you.

And mainstream schools are not noted for providing accommodations to the deaf.

And mainstream schools are not noted for providing accommodations to the deaf.

Agreed! Look we understand. My parents went through the exact same thing YOU are probly going through right now, 20 years ago. The thing is.... we think that mainstream schools, especially in really crappy sped states are simply taking advantage of parents by claiming that they can provide on par education for functionally HOH kids. It's also possible you may have fallen for the myth that mainstreamed soloataires do better....that is a very old myth.

Seriously, NH IS not known for having super good disabilty accomondations. You could have argued that the sped dept does not generally have the training to teach a student who needs more then minimal accomodnations.

Oh, and Emsreyslane.....we have a LOT of vets of oral only and mainstreaming here. This is NOT a " Oh oral only is teh EVIL b/c it's the exact opposite of ASL." mentality board. Shel90, bajagirl, me, Abby Nicole ALL grew up oral only and mainstreamed. We know how AG Bell parents think....we know the mentality! We've LIVED IT!

You were AVT?!?!:shock:

Research shows that AV kids are the only group of deaf kids that test at normal levels for math, reading, language and self-esteem. No other methodology can claim those results.

To DeafDyke, I have to re-clarify. I referred to this quote of Faire Joure's as being a myth. The methodology was certainly not applied to my life at all and yet I am above average.

People need to stop investing in snake oil.

not you??? I am Ms Petit.... defensive????. She was name calling and belittling. That is not welcoming for anyone....
As for someones comment on hearing impaired. That is the term used by the school systems here ( in NH and probably in many school systems) for children who have a mild loss and function well with Hearing aides in regular mainstream classes with little to no supports.
You folks seem to seek out anything/one you can attack that doesnt conform to your exact beliefs or thoughts and ways.
If you respected others /all who write here and not beat them up in your responses then you would not have defensive writings going on. I dont know who Faire Jour is or what happened there but I can say if whoever that was was treated as I have been I understand their reason for their responses maybe being defensive, and being banned at that point isnt a bad thing as it appears that there is no support or understanding going on here.

hearing impaired is a degrading term for many of us.

To DeafDyke, I have to re-clarify. I referred to this quote of Faire Joure's as being a myth. The methodology was certainly not applied to my life at all and yet I am above average.

People need to stop investing in snake oil.

Exactly. The thing is...it's not the methodolgy that is effective. It is the fact that parents who are highly (and we're talking HIGHLY) involved...like therapy moms or the type of parents who hyperschdule their kids or who enroll them in Jr. Kumon.

You people are something else. DUH I know he is deaf. I gave you information as to why the term hearing impairment was used and is used. You only see it as info for further attack..... SAD

And to quote you, "Duh" We lived with deafness all of our lives so we have some insider information about living life as deaf people. Attacks, I think not.

Mother looks very defensive and trying making it sounds like she got no choice what happening...........

No matter how well he/any deaf kid can speak they will ALWAYS struggle in mainstream with communication and understanding to learn from teachers. So many people are so determined to make deaf people use their weakest sense instead of their strongest sense (sight).

High school is TOUGH for hearing kids can hear perfectly well, they have to work hard keep level up and how can deaf kid do this on weakest sense? They have to OVERWORK just to try reach near as possible hearing kids level and never quite reach equal level.

Mother looks very defensive and trying making it sounds like she got no choice what happening...........

No matter how well he/any deaf kid can speak they will ALWAYS struggle in mainstream with communication and understanding to learn from teachers. So many people are so determined to make deaf people use their weakest sense instead of their strongest sense (sight).

High school is TOUGH for hearing kids can hear perfectly well, they have to work hard keep level up and how can deaf kid do this on weakest sense? They have to OVERWORK just to try reach near as possible hearing kids level and never quite reach equal level.

Speedy, I agree 100%. One of the reasons why I dislike oral only is that it doesn't seem to acknowledge that the mainstream and high school (b/c Clarke and St. Joseph's end at grade 8) is HELL. Yes, mainstreaming a dhh kid was innovative in the 40's and even 60's and even 70's....but you know that was so long ago that those kids are now grandparents?!?!

Emeryslane,
You said your son has thrived at Clarke's. My understanding is that Clarke's doesn't have senior school. So where will your son go next?

Kids who are very delayed like Hunter will never catch up totally.

I wish the best for your son. I hope you'll stop being defensive, and start being procative doing the right things that is right for Hunter, not for you.

Speedy, I agree 100%. One of the reasons why I dislike oral only is that it doesn't seem to acknowledge that the mainstream and high school (b/c Clarke and St. Joseph's end at grade 8) is HELL. Yes, mainstreaming a dhh kid was innovative in the 40's and even 60's and even 70's....but you know that was so long ago that those kids are now grandparents?!?!

Yeah and just because deaf kid looks like doing alright doesn't mean they are, lot of deaf kids know how to survive in mainstream, know how to avoid get into trouble and extra work from teachers.

Emeryslane,
You said your son has thrived at Clarke's. My understanding is that Clarke's doesn't have senior school. So where will your son go next?

Kids who are very delayed like Hunter will never catch up totally.

I wish the best for your son. I hope you'll stop being defensive, and start being procative doing the right things that is right for Hunter, not for you.

Good point. It's not like Mary Hare(in UK) that has a senoir high school. We can guarntee you that when he is mainstreamed, he will have a horrible horrible time....Clarke's mentality that the mainstream is best, is very outdated.

I really really REALLY do not want to mainstream my sons. I don't. From the stories I have read here, from everyones experiences it makes me ill. I don't want my children to go through anything bad or negative. But in my defense I see no other obstacle. I wanted to go back to that one thread but can't figure out the site well enough to see if anyone ever responded to my question but here it is again.

The closest school for the deaf or hoh is 4 hours away from here. I live in rural nowhere. They have a program at the school he is at now for deaf or hoh but it will only be through elementary. Which is fine. At least he gets asl with teachers one on one and terps and what not. Anyways my question. When he gets to junior high should I drive him on the weekends to this school. Like drive up on Sundays stay there through the week and come back fridays? Please try to keep in mind I have four children and both my husband and I work full time the idea of moving is frightful right now. Maybe later it will be different so it may not be something I need to wonder about right this second but I like to plan. I just want the best for the both of them.

Wirelessly posted

blondeon704 - does this school offer transportation service? When I went to deaf school, the school would charter so grey hound and also send out vans to other areas that didn't get bus service. My home district paid for it. if not, what about checking into carpooling? The other student may not be right in town, but a 30 minute drive or an hour drive is much more manageable than 4 hours. Often schools understand that parents work and try to my transport a bit later to accommodate that.

Wirelessly posted

blondeon704 - does this school offer transportation service? When I went to deaf school, the school would charter so grey hound and also send out vans to other areas that didn't get bus service. My home district paid for it. if not, what about checking into carpooling? The other student may not be right in town, but a 30 minute drive or an hour drive is much more manageable than 4 hours. Often schools understand that parents work and try to my transport a bit later to accommodate that.

I believe I was told no. Now I could be wrong. I had an interview with them two years ago because they do offer a program called Ski Hi and they wanted to set him up with that program as well as offered me to visit the campus. I remember talking to them about the possibility of some form of charter but I am almost positive they said no. I meet with them yearly to do follow ups so I will definitely ask them next time. Thanks for the idea.

If I could add though it may just be the parent in me but I don't know how I would feel about sending them that far away without me... I mean sure he would be in the care of teachers or bus personnel or whatever but does that make me to overbearring?

There are many parents who drive their kids to school on Sunday and pick them up Fridays. Even here in MN, a bus does it too. (At least they did, not sure if that's the same today.)

I had originally wanted to drive him but then my husband got all tiffy and said it wouldn't be fair to my other children if I were gone for a week. And I shot back with well it isn't fair that my sons have to go to schools that don't accomodate their needs. This is a heated debate in our household on a regular basis. I am all for moving but I look at it logically right now and it just couldn't happen. But like I had mentioned maybe things will be different in 5-6 years when he has to go to middle school or junior high or whatever they call it. At least I have my fingers crossed for it.

Sorry not trying to hi jack the thread or anything :)

Wirelessly posted

I bet there is a solution with a bit of time and a bunch of creativity. I am wondering, if the school doesn't charter bus, what if took a normal greyhound to somewhere he could be picked up? this couldn't happen til he if a but older, but thats how my parents did it if I had to miss the charter bus for illness or appointment.

Back