Parent problems anyone?

Reaction score
My Mother is Schizophrenic and I know she doesn't always mean it. She's sick people tell me. But, this time she might of went too far. In the past few weeks, she's began insulting me when, I ask her to repeat herself. I'm hard of hearing and she knows it but, in the last few weeks, she's called me stupid, deaf-mute, and deaf in a insulting way. I'm not one of those kids moping about how bad my life is or crying with words. I just want to know what to do.-Julia

My Mother is Schizophrenic and I know she doesn't always mean it. She's sick people tell me. But, this time she might of went too far. In the past few weeks, she's began insulting me when, I ask her to repeat herself. I'm hard of hearing and she knows it but, in the last few weeks, she's called me stupid, deaf-mute, and deaf in a insulting way. I'm not one of those kids moping about how bad my life is or crying with words. I just want to know what to do.-Julia

If this is true, get a job , leave home, and cut off contact with your mother.

It's that simple. You are an adult and you are only abusing yourself if you choose to stay in a situation where you feel you are mistreated.

Stand on your own two feet and make your own life.

Not right! I have problems too. My family expected me to have my aids on all the time. Even one time I asked them to write it down, they declined my request. I am an adult too.

Nasty Parents

I can't say I understand how you feel, but I have a friend who is schitzophrinic and she can get extremely rude, or even violent. So from experience, I would be honest toward her, but try to avoid 'setting her off.'
If it gets really bad, I would agree that it's best to find a new place to move, maybe with ...friends?

-Random intergection: I know this is off topic, but as this is my first post, I wanted to know if it's okay that I'm hearing and on this site. I am very proficient at signing an I'm on my way to being an interpreter, so I would like very much to better understand deaf culture.
Thanks, I love you guys!:P

-Random intergection: I know this is off topic, but as this is my first post, I wanted to know if it's okay that I'm hearing and on this site. I am very proficient at signing an I'm on my way to being an interpreter, so I would like very much to better understand deaf culture.
Thanks, I love you guys!:P
Okay with me, I'm new to sign language(ASL) and just had a odd feeling myself. But, be really to explain I guess because, I feel really weird about what someone asked recently.

Thank you,people have been telling to move since I turned 16. I'm now 20 but, it's not that simple in less of I want to be homeless. I have been looking for a job for two years with no luck. I'm in college trying to transfer to Portland State. But, what now?

Not right! I have problems too. My family expected me to have my aids on all the time. Even one time I asked them to write it down, they declined my request. I am an adult too.
That sounds like a problem. How about sleeping? Hot weather? Sore ears? (Just guessing, the people around me are loud and my lip-reading is pretty good. Plus, my Sister signs some.)

you should be avoid on make sure proper too much on talk or something work lots of activities, take an space break, will take better on normal, if suppose problem worst to give you stress increase i tell you advise to you take an break limit, or cut of break, suppose you want to avoid on worst! learn observe your mother notice how find Hope complication your mother is sick!

That is unfortunate to have one's parent "schizophrenic". Given that situation isn't an "extended stay in a hospital" seems to be required.
Being in college may alleviate some problems but does "lack of funds"?: cause more? Assistance from "local authorities" possible?
Much success in the immediate future.

Check with VR for school, and apply for SSA. VR will be able to help you for living on dorm on campus of off campus. Have your mom being put in somewhere better attention care for her safety. If you dont do that then your life will become suffer and become harder that you can't get out of it. it's your call.

Well, your Mother is sick...probably doesn't mean what she says....so repeat that to yourself over and over.....Whenever it gets so bad...leave the house, go to the Library or to a friends.....Seems your extended family knows of this?...Or ur Father?...Siblings?...Aunts/Uncles...whatever....

Sad situation I know, but it's your own Mother....and you're old enough to talk to the doctor about it all....see what he has to say....If it all results into violence, then perhaps ur mother needs to be hospitalized.

Thank you,people have been telling to move since I turned 16. I'm now 20 but, it's not that simple in less of I want to be homeless. I have been looking for a job for two years with no luck. I'm in college trying to transfer to Portland State. But, what now?
Why not transfer to Gally, CSUN or RIT?

Why not transfer to Gally, CSUN or RIT?

I have mostly Oregon State only Aid and PSU is my dream. I'm a total local school fan. PSU has to be one of the best schools in Oregon. I love Portland too!

I used to work with clients like your mother, she doesn't mean it, and it's most likely not her saying. I'm not saying this gives her a reason to act this way because it's not. My client would lie and make up stories so when I would try to find where all this is coming from. She said the men's voices in my head made me do it.

I don't think living with her is healthly for you, and if she has it bad she can go to a group home for extra help and coping skills for herself.

I feel your pain, it's never nice to be singled out on, or made fun off because of our hearing

Im truly sorry what you're going through...you're not the only one goin thru this. It's life and life is hard. Weird, I just met a schizo dude and seems like a normal person..just be the bigger person is all you can do. :)

Consult with a doctor. Depending on where you are, a doctor may have no problem just giving you some helpful advice. She may require some hospitalization. There are medicines that can treat some of the symptoms of this sickness. I'm sure your mother loves you very much and yes, it can be difficult because you feel like the insults are personal. She may not be able to help what she is saying. Just remember, she's your mom and she didn't abandon you every time you hurt her feelings growing up as a child, or every time you got sick with the flu/cold/chickenpox/poison ivy, she did whatever she had to do hopefully to take care of you and see you through. I hope this helps. Good luck.

I grew up with Schizophrenia in my family too. When she's having an episode, just remind yourself not to take it personally. She really doesn't mean it and this is her problem and a reflection of what this horrible disease is doing inside of her mind. It's hard feeling like you have to walk on eggshells to avoid setting people off. Things will be better once you're able to get out on your own. I would try talking to other family members to see if you guys can set up an intervention to get her some help, either with medication or treatment. Don't take this on alone. You need support.

I have a stepsister and step brother who are schizophrenic. The stepsister seems normal most of the time, but when she goes off, she is horrid. The stepbrother is alway a bit off, but rarely has episodes. I'm sure you know better than I that most of their "abnormal" reactions are based in fear or are in response to "something" they only they perceive. At least that how I think of it. It can be very personal or personally discouraging, but it is really more about them than you.

That said, if it's really hurting you/making you miserable, you should probably try to move. If you can't swing it just now, make an achievable plan to move in the future, and work toward it. Maybe that will make it more bearable. Thats just my opinion.

Can your mother care for herself without you around?

Back