parent/kid activities

goHabsgo

Reaction score
Today I decided to do an activity paper mache I did a few years ago with my daughter and wanted to do it again with her and a few friends. Back a few years ago we did a hot air balloon out of paper mache and I wanted to make a new one for her this year and by the same token share the activity with friends. I was wondering if anyone has done a similar project with paper mache (or other material/activity ideas welcomed), be it another subject out of paper mache. When I was doing a little research I stumbled upon a great video on the subject.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhPs2m9zny4]YouTube - Gourmet Paper Mache Dragon[/ame]​

That's nice to view the video. That's good idea for parent and kids activities for fun! I love the paper mache! I never make them before. I have paper mache of treasure chest, box, book, my son's name with letters(decorate). I bought stuff from Jo Ann's Fabric and Craft. I like to paint on the paper mache and add trinkets.

Paper mache is perfect

What a pleasant surprise to stumble upon this site and see my video here. This dragon is indeed a bit complicated for a first project. I recommend that kids make a monster first time through. They are goof proof since no one can tell you you are wrong. And they will definitely take on the personality of the maker. I've taught many young people to make paper mache monsters.

For more ideas (many more videos and galleries) visit my site, Gourmet Paper Mache. For slower instructional videos visit my blog, PAPER MACHE BLOG.

Paper mache is a great medium for self expression. Everyone should give it a try. I'm happy to help out. Just visit my site and send me questions.
Good luck.
Dan (the monster-man) Reeder

MR. Reeder! :cool2:

Congrats on your work! What a pleasure to see you stumble here!
I have seen your site and found it very interesting, I plan to revisit
it often and it's an honor to have you comment this thread. Indeed
the level of challenge is of higher difficulty for the dragon, I do plan
on finishing our hot air balloon and then tackle some of the projects
on your site with my daughter, family and friends.

I'll send pics to your site :)

Today I decided to do an activity paper mache I did a few years ago with my daughter and wanted to do it again with her and a few friends. Back a few years ago we did a hot air balloon out of paper mache and I wanted to make a new one for her this year and by the same token share the activity with friends. I was wondering if anyone has done a similar project with paper mache (or other material/activity ideas welcomed), be it another subject out of paper mache. When I was doing a little research I stumbled upon a great video on the subject.

I think this is an excellent thread, do you mind at all if other ideas can be put here for parents who are looking for ways to have fun with their kids?

In this day and age kids are spending more time on video games and watching TV. I think it's a good thing to have the good value of having family time with the kids. I would like to incorporate family time with my boys often.

Thanks for the video! It's interesting!

I think this is an excellent thread, do you mind at all if other ideas can be put here for parents who are looking for ways to have fun with their kids?

Thanks for the comment DGirl101 and other ideas are welcomed! At home we are often looking for innovative and different things to do as a family. I agree, lots of kids spend way to much time on video games and it's good to get them playing outside or do something with them.

I'll post the completed hot air balloons as soon as they are done, takes awhile since each coat has to thoroughly dry since we are using the flour/water recipe for glue.

Pinky that is great for the paper mache :)

Update, the paper mache hot air balloons that we are making are coming along fine although not rapidly since time is scarce but still coming along nicely. We will also be making a small wooden stick doll house in the near future, here's a link as to what it looks like wooden stick doll house

We make puzzles... :) I found a bunch at Michaels Craft store that are these little wooden puzzles that you color and then break apart... they're like 3-4 pieces so not to complicated, and to me the fun is in the coloring-- but it's something Adam and I can do together for 'quiet' activity... he loves it as much as I do-- then of course the 'getting it right' part is really great for him!!

I can't wait for him to get a little bigger so crafts can be more than glue sticks and crayons LOL (but don't want him to grow up too fast!)

We make puzzles... :) I found a bunch at Michaels Craft store that are these little wooden puzzles that you color and then break apart... they're like 3-4 pieces so not to complicated, and to me the fun is in the coloring-- but it's something Adam and I can do together for 'quiet' activity... he loves it as much as I do-- then of course the 'getting it right' part is really great for him!!

I can't wait for him to get a little bigger so crafts can be more than glue sticks and crayons LOL (but don't want him to grow up too fast!)

Yes puzzles are a great way to interact with kids, interesting about coloring them as well, that's like two activities rolled into one which is also a good way to develop their fine motor skills.

I was like you, couldn't wait for my daughter to start the next step in crafts. It's fun to also watch them eager to learn and creating things with having a sense of self accomplishment and pride. It's priceless! :)

Back