Palin's Father: She Left Hawaii Because Asians Made Her Uncomfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Negro - just because UNCF.org organization exists as well but that doesn't mean we can use "negro" freely.

Right. To me, someone who self-identify as a mulatto is akin to someone that identify themselves as "hearing impaired" or "deaf plus." May be a valid identity, but it's not an empowering one due to the origins of the words.

Right. To me, someone who self-identify as a mulatto is akin to someone that identify themselves as "hearing impaired" or "deaf plus." May be a valid identity, but it's not an empowering one due to the origins of the words.
Please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't mulatto simply mean person of mixed race?

You are free to impart your "wisdom" to that organization and share with them your opinion.
Mulatto.org: Positive Resource Board -

Why?

If it's so ingrained in them, there's no point in trying to change their opinions of themselves.

My experiences in observing how the "white-majority" Canadians and Americans use the world mulatto and my studies in Spanish Americas is good enough for me.

Yes, but combined with the historical useage of the word it means:

"At least you're half white, and you're better than the slaves."
Where does that definition come from or is that inferred?

Why?

If it's so ingrained in them, there's no point in trying to change their opinions of themselves.

My experiences in observing how the "white-majority" Canadians and Americans use the world mulatto and my studies in Spanish Americas is good enough for me.

Sometimes it's good to get their perspectives since you're not in their shoes. Reading from a book only tells you so much.

Sometimes it's good to get their perspectives since you're not in their shoes. Reading from a book only tells you so much.

Why do I need to... when I have access to paintings, records and manuscripts?

No need for textbooks. You don't even need a textbook.

I know one of my research partners warned me of that site before and how they got a skewed views on things. After visiting, I am inclined to agree.

Why do I need to... when I have access to paintings, records and manuscripts?

No need for textbooks. You don't even need a textbook.

I know one of my research partners warned me of that site before and how they got a skewed views on things. After visiting, I am inclined to agree.

Um, sure.

Yes but where do you arrive at the definition you put in your previous post. Below is what a reputable mainstream dictionary defines mulatto as. I have never heard it used in a negative context. In fact it bugs me when a word is used out of context so much that the out of context version becomes the new definition to some people. I understand that happens but for the record I don't agree with it. For me I will always use the mainstream definition in context.

Source: mulatto - Definition from the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
Main Entry: mu·lat·to
Pronunciation: \mə-ˈla-(ˌ)tō, mu̇-, myu̇-, -ˈlä-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural mu·lat·toes or mu·lat·tos
Etymology: Spanish mulato, from mulo mule, from Latin mulus
Date: 1593
1 : the first-generation offspring of a black person and a white person
2 : a person of mixed white and black ancestry

Do I have to explain the casta system again and how important Iberian bloodlines are in the Spanish Empire? It wasn't taken out of context.

The only time I ever heard mulatto used up here is when they are coming from a well-known racist. The first time I heard it, the person described mulatto as a having olive colour that is more beautiful than any other people of different colour. That sent a weird vibe throughout the entire group, and we gossiped a bit afterward to talk about the covert racism behind that sentence.

Do I have to explain the casta system again and how important Iberian bloodlines are in the Spanish Empire? It wasn't taken out of context.

The only time I ever heard mulatto used up here is when they are coming from a well-known racist. The first time I heard it, the person described mulatto as a having olive colour that is more beautiful than any other people of different colour. That sent a weird vibe throughout the entire group, and we gossiped a bit afterward to talk about the covert racism behind that sentence.

Well, you learn something new everyday. :) Perhaps it's the owner(s) of Mulatto.org who have this sort of quasi-"covert racism" in her/him/them in designing that website/forum? Go ask.

Nah... got enlightened after talking to a Chilean 30 minutes ago.

Apparently she finds it offensive that Obama is called a mulatto because mulatto is a Hispanic word and only those who identify themselves as mulatto are allowed to use it. Since Obama identify with his Kenyan origin, his American ancestry and being black more than being a Latino, she find it offensive that people are calling him a mulatto. In short... she just finds it wrong for anyone to call another person a certain name unless that person self-identify as such. Otherwise it's a word that has been hijacked by non-Latinos.

by avoiding answering my questions? :lol:

I find it funny that you handle the debate by answering to hecklers rather than answering my perfectly valid questions. Makes you wonder why GOP typically has supporters of low intelligence. :hmm:

Yup, man and better to give a simple answer.

That's why about I'm not going waste my time to debate with him but just let him to waste his time.

Conservative LOSER.

Um, sure. I'm sure you "asked" about this one. People in Mulatto.org *are* describing him as a mulatto and they see him as an inspiration since they see themselves as mulattos, too.

OBAMA!!!!! - Mulatto.org: Positive Resource Board

Mulatto Professionals? - Mulatto.org: Positive Resource Board

Clearly the use the word "mulatto" can be comfortably used within the context of describing their own identity and of others (ie. Obama, Powell, etc). Just as conservative blacks seen in a captioned Glenn Beck show "Time to be heard" where one comfortable with their identity as an America first rather than an African-American or blacks and such. Those that spoke up stress the point that they are Americans first and not African-American because they were born here in America. Their parents were born here and so they identify themselves as American first but most of them see themselves as "blacks" and are proud of it just as I see myself as "white" and I'm proud of it but I'm an American first as well. Watch the questionings and the responses from the 20 or so Americans, especially leading up to the 4:25 mark...you'll be surprised.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQzmZAJbSyc&feature=related]YouTube - Glenn Beck 20091113 Part 2/4[/ame]

Lisa Fritsch who is a radio talk show host (Lisa Fritsch) was the first one to bring up about being who you are as an American (btw, she didn't vote for Obama). So, this brings up this race issue about Palin's supposed "fear" of a certain ethnic group(s) in Hawaii is an issue (supposedly so) that's long gone and doesn't matter. She see's everyone as equals today. And that's the important thing.

The way I see the whole mulatto.org is like how people embrace Deaf superstars as "hearing-impaired" and Deaf people embrace oral deaf as "Deaf."

Obama never identify himself as a mulatto, despite other people who lay claim to it, so therefore he is not one.

The problem with the whole "white" versus "black" is that the term "black" became a cultural term. "White" still remains a racial term, not a cultural term. Big difference there.

The way I see the whole mulatto.org is like how people embrace Deaf superstars as "hearing-impaired" and Deaf people embrace oral deaf as "Deaf."

Obama never identify himself as a mulatto, despite other people who lay claim to it, so therefore he is not one.

The problem with the whole "white" versus "black" is that the term "black" became a cultural term. "White" still remains a racial term, not a cultural term. Big difference there.

Right on, that why I'm going let him to talk by himself, just talk to wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back