Pair charged after elderly woman left in sweltering vehicle during heatwave

darkangel8603

Reaction score
July 17, 2006
Cp/Burlington

Two women are facing charges after an elderly woman was left alone in a sweltering SUV while her caretakers went shopping.
Emergency workers discovered Phyllis Arnott, 97, dehydrated and incoherent and immediately took her to hospital.
"We feel bad about dogs being left in cars. This was a person," said Sgt. Tim Fredo of the Halton Regional Police. "They're both cruel and inhumane acts."
A passerby had reported seeing the frail woman alone in the back seat of a black car.
She had allegedly waited in the sweltering car for her daughter and granddaughter for at least half an hour during the height of a brutal heatwave before she was discovered.
The two women had apparently gone into the store to buy Aspirin for Arnott, who had begun to complan of a headache. But while they were there, they got sidetracked and stopped to shop for other items.
Research has found that when the outside temperature is over 30 C, the inside of a car can heat up by 20 degrees in 15 minutes. Bonnie and Kimberly Bouclair are charged with failing to provide the necessities of life. They are scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 25.

This is ridiclous, poor woman, stuck in a car in the heat, but i wonder why the woman didn't get out if she was so hot, perhap she was incapable of being independent, of so perhap that why, but duh to daughter and granddaughter.

OMG.. why cant the lady leave key on and let the motor on to keep a/c and keep the lady cool? stupid! damn.. i felt sorry for the old lady! still shouldnt leave her alone .. need to be with her at all cuz shes old? jeez what dumbass they are!

SmileyGin said:
OMG.. why cant the lady leave key on and let the motor on to keep a/c and keep the lady cool? stupid! damn.. i felt sorry for the old lady! still shouldnt leave her alone .. need to be with her at all cuz shes old? jeez what dumbass they are!
This is why.

Its cost money to leave air conditioner running.Arent the cops over reacting just because of and old lady sweat in the car? I dont see cops Busting our Bosses when its hot in the plant we gotta work n sweat.This is just another case cops busting the poor people.

Buckdodgers said:
This is why.

Its cost money to leave air conditioner running.Arent the cops over reacting just because of and old lady sweat in the car? I dont see cops Busting our Bosses when its hot in the plant we gotta work n sweat.This is just another case cops busting the poor people.

Two different issues...You need to get your moral compass straightened out and have compassion on the victim here not the idiots who left her in the car.

Price of gas notwithstanding, it is still wrong to leave an older person in a car in the heat. Their bodies aren't capable of handling the heat like younger people. Being stupid isn't limited by income levels. I'm sorry but the cops did the right thing here. There is no excuse for this whatsoever...

This is very sad. Cheap daughter and granddaughter, hope they get jailed for that stunt. Serves them both right!

No pets, babies, elderly folks...or anyone for that matter should be left behind inside a vehicle during times it's hot outside. Doesn't take long before the interior of a vehicle to be like an oven.... Ever go to your vehicle that's been sitting out in the hot sweltering heat under the sun for a few hours...get inside and what's next? You begin to sweat profusely, so hard to breathe, touching steering wheel, metallic seat belt buckles...hot!! Isn't it? Just think...how it would be for 10 minutes...let alone this elderly lady in the vehicle for approximately 30 minutes, suffering until a passerby took notice (kudos to this passerby :thumb: )...it's possible that this elderly lady was so overtaken by the heat in matter of minutes rendering her helpless and unable to 'move' a hand, arm, etc...in order to get out of the vehicle. If one must go into a store for an item or more...do so with no one in a vehicle whatsoever...otherwise, take the person home or some place where it's cool and/or get the item(s) another time.

Buckdodgers said:
This is why.

Guess you weren't born with compassion.

:slap:

Roadrunner said:
No pets, babies, elderly folks...or anyone for that matter should be left behind inside a vehicle during times it's hot outside. Doesn't take long before the interior of a vehicle to be like an oven.... Ever go to your vehicle that's been sitting out in the hot sweltering heat under the sun for a few hours...get inside and what's next? You begin to sweat profusely, so hard to breathe, touching steering wheel, metallic seat belt buckles...hot!! Isn't it? Just think...how it would be for 10 minutes...let alone this elderly lady in the vehicle for approximately 30 minutes, suffering until a passerby took notice (kudos to this passerby :thumb: )...it's possible that this elderly lady was so overtaken by the heat in matter of minutes rendering her helpless and unable to 'move' a hand, arm, etc...in order to get out of the vehicle. If one must go into a store for an item or more...do so with no one in a vehicle whatsoever...otherwise, take the person home or some place where it's cool and/or get the item(s) another time.

I agree. :gpost:

Back