OWS and Deaf Community in NYC

Status
Not open for further replies.

shushugah

Reaction score
I am very active in OWS in NYC, and would like to know what can OWS do to be more accommodating of the Deaf Community.

For a Starter, having a designated place for Deaf members to sit, and have an interpreter sign for them what the Mic Checks are saying would certainly be helpful. Having Deaf awareness, for example in usage of language (we hear the phrases like "Obama was tone deaf to their needs" which is insensitive to Deaf Community).

When I was in jail, and I told some strangers that I was Deaf, they asked me what my name was, and then did a Mic Check, to tell all 120 people in the cell who I am, and that if the police called me, they should notify me and assist me in communicating with the police. They care and are supportive, but most likely not aware of what the Deaf community is concerned about and needs.

I have a cochlear implant, but my battery died and I wasn't allowed access to my confiscated property. I was in Jail for 15 hours.

I recognize in many respects that I am not a "true member" of the Deaf community, but I certainly would like to help out and understand what OWS can do to be more inclusive.

PM me, I want to know if you know my girls.If you know a clown that got arrested for attacking the bull statue a couple of weeks ago, you know my girl. ......Second of all, I'm going to contact Mama Nancy to see if she might be able to help out with Deaf stuff (she's fluent in ASL)

I am very active in OWS in NYC, and would like to know what can OWS do to be more accommodating of the Deaf Community.

For a Starter, having a designated place for Deaf members to sit, and have an interpreter sign for them what the Mic Checks are saying would certainly be helpful. Having Deaf awareness, for example in usage of language (we hear the phrases like "Obama was tone deaf to their needs" which is insensitive to Deaf Community).

When I was in jail, and I told some strangers that I was Deaf, they asked me what my name was, and then did a Mic Check, to tell all 120 people in the cell who I am, and that if the police called me, they should notify me and assist me in communicating with the police. They care and are supportive, but most likely not aware of what the Deaf community is concerned about and needs.

I have a cochlear implant, but my battery died and I wasn't allowed access to my confiscated property. I was in Jail for 15 hours.

I recognize in many respects that I am not a "true member" of the Deaf community, but I certainly would like to help out and understand what OWS can do to be more inclusive.

Personally, I think it is great that you are concerned with accommodating the Deaf that choose to participate in the protests. The fact that your fellow protesters sought to accomodate you during your jail time is indicative of the social conscious the protesters have. Facillitating communication during arrests, etc. would be of utmost importance.

You mean this hero?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfrf71ALsEs]CLOWNS ARRESTED IN NEAR-SUCCESSFUL ATTACK ON WALL STREET BULL - YouTube[/ame]

She has my utter respect for this brilliant and ingenious video!!

Yes, do you know Hannah (the one in the purple wig) or her sister Sophie? They are very dear friends of mine. Their mom (my second mom) Nancy is actualy fluent in ASL.......

and Shug...please PM me..Hannah is out of town right now, but I want to return to OWS when she returns....Maybe we can all meet each other!!!!!

Something I just thought of........What if a HOH protestor got manhandled like my friend Hannah did? My earhorn (bit that attaches the tube to the aid) will randomly detach itself from my aid...I can imagine it would fall apart during a confrontion.

Something I just thought of........What if a HOH protestor got manhandled like my friend Hannah did? My earhorn (bit that attaches the tube to the aid) will randomly detach itself from my aid...I can imagine it would fall apart during a confrontion.

Sounds like an excellent reason to comply with police to me

Well yeah, you can use that against them, but at same time they can successfully argue that you should have complied with them, but it depends how you respond, for example of you're pregnant you should let them know and they should act accordingly, like what happened in Oregon... the lady will sue them for giving her a miscarriage, I doubt anything will happen to the Police themselves.

Well yeah, you can use that against them, but at same time they can successfully argue that you should have complied with them, but it depends how you respond, for example of you're pregnant you should let them know and they should act accordingly, like what happened in Oregon... the lady will sue them for giving her a miscarriage, I doubt anything will happen to the Police themselves.

It was Seattle not Oregon, and in case you haven't been following the news it appears she is a fraud. She also made a "3 months pregnant" claim to police in September. There is alot about her in the other occupy thread

It's sad really

Police: 'Pregnant' Occupy protestor tried to lure children - Seattle News - MyNorthwest.com

Something is sad all right, but the least of it is this woman.

Since I cannot respond to DeafDyke via PM, I will post here. No I will not be in Duarte Square, since I am going to Forte Meade to protest Bradley Manning's detainment. I want to warn you, that unless the Pastors agree to let OWS use their space, it will be an illegal occupation and you likely will face arrest. $7,400 has been allocated for secret methods of keeping grounds at the church.

I have not met Hannah or Sophie yet, :-/

Since I cannot respond to DeafDyke via PM, I will post here. No I will not be in Duarte Square, since I am going to Forte Meade to protest Bradley Manning's detainment. I want to warn you, that unless the Pastors agree to let OWS use their space, it will be an illegal occupation and you likely will face arrest. $7,400 has been allocated for secret methods of keeping grounds at the church.

I have not met Hannah or Sophie yet, :-/

awww why can't you respond to my PM? I went to Duarte Square and had a BLAST! It was SO much fun!!!!!!! I'm going to post my experiance in a few mintues........too bad you haven't met my girls yet.....maybe this year! They are AWESOME people! BTW, have you had trouble hearing during Mic Checks? I had a lot of trouble hearing, but just lipread another protestor as to what he was saying.

Wow, I had forgotten all about this...

awww why can't you respond to my PM? I went to Duarte Square and had a BLAST! It was SO much fun!!!!!!! I'm going to post my experiance in a few mintues........too bad you haven't met my girls yet.....maybe this year! They are AWESOME people! BTW, have you had trouble hearing during Mic Checks? I had a lot of trouble hearing, but just lipread another protestor as to what he was saying.

absolutely, so I tend to stay close to the person speaking, or ask someone else next to me to repeat. During our General Assemblies now, everything that is said is being typed and projected on the wall, and there's also tweet feeds that are live repeating everything that is said. They are doing great job making it more accessible for everyone.

absolutely, so I tend to stay close to the person speaking, or ask someone else next to me to repeat. During our General Assemblies now, everything that is said is being typed and projected on the wall, and there's also tweet feeds that are live repeating everything that is said. They are doing great job making it more accessible for everyone.

That is great to hear. But then you would expect that a group like the OWS protestors would be more concerned with things like accommodations than some factions of America. It is directly inline with their sense of social justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back