own business teaching ASL /workshop/ tutoring

deafsqrrl

Reaction score
Wondering if it is possible for a deaf person to set up own business by teaching ASL - in class, or in workshop, or tutoring.
What do you need in order to start business? I can start by setting up a 3-hour workshop.

That sounds like an awesome idea. If you are qualified, maybe you could start by sending out letters of inquiry to different organizations asking if they have a need for ASL classes. You could work with organizations that help deaf people find jobs (like in my area Goodwill in Long Beach, which also has an interpreting agency) to connect with the employers of deaf workers and see if they would like to teach their other workers ASL. You could contact elementary or even high schools (again, depending on your qualifications and/or certification) about teaching workshops to students. You should definitely contact schools with ITPs and offer your services as a tutor. I loved having deaf tutors when I was in my ITP.

There are SO MANY places that need qualified deaf people teaching ASL, either short-term or long term, thes were just a few right off the top of my head. I'm sure you can think of more. And of course find out about the necessary legal and financial things you have to do to set up your own business. If you don't have experience with this, I personally like to use those "For Dummies" books for a good start on a new subject.

Good luck!

Back