Overtime pay or no?

Union is DEAD! I know there is still unions around but they are job killings and that is one of reasons why most jobs went overseas.

Don't believe it? Here is current news. Hostess is now asking bankrupt court to shut down the factory permanently. Now Union is in panic mode trying to save the company, hey the owner said "Too late".

I have seen enough damages from Unions. However I understand that it was organized in late 19th century mainly for safety. Now we got OSHA, so all left for union is M O N E Y, that is all. Sad!

Companies go overseas because they know that they can get away with taking advantage of their employees and these greedy CEOs get more money that they don't deserve.

Companies go overseas because they know that they can get away with taking advantage of their employees and these greedy CEOs get more money that they don't deserve.

Yup! I agree with you.

There are companies that care about PROFITS!

There are many reasons that why companies went oversea due to corporate tax, cheap labor, lack of labor regulation and other reasons, so blame on union for oversea is slim because a lot of textile plants in NC that where union is nearly non-existant went oversea in few decades ago and the unions are very weak in NC for many years.

Don't all companies want to make profits? Otherwise, what's the point of owning a business?

Most companies want biggest profits and not interested to share a fair with employees.

I have no problem if companies to share a fair with employees, based on profit.

Wirelessly posted

That is why unions are needed so companies can't screw us. Organize now.

Her mistake was not clocking in she has no record that she worked that 5 hours on the fifth day.

Some states like California you get OT over 8 hours a day. Some states you have to work 40 hour before you get OT
Depending on one's regular work schedule. For example, my sister-in-law regularly works 10 hrs a day for four days a week (40 hrs/wk so no OT pay). That's in Southern Calif.

Where she works, she gets no union. No benefits. No sick days. You see, in that 45 hour week, she clocked in for the 4 days where she worked 10 hours. On the 5 hour day, they told her to not clock in to avoid overtime. They would pay cash. Then that cash wasn't there. They just added to the hours of the following week that wasn't there. Pretty sneaky.....
That's motherfucking illegal!

Depending on one's regular work schedule. For example, my sister-in-law regularly works 10 hrs a day for four days a week (40 hrs/wk so no OT pay). That's in Southern Calif.

Oh really, it looks like California has complicated laws so I would rather to get lawyer to look at and ensure that workplaces follow state law.

I know some workplaces broke the law.

This was interesting:

"Not all employees are entitled to overtime pay after they have worked 40 hours in a week. People in executive positions or working as professional employees, including certain teachers, are exempt from minimum wage and overtime pay laws. Farm workers, people who work in movie theaters, railroad employees, airline employees and many other individuals are also exempt from overtime pay laws. Some other details of the law create partial exemptions for other groups of people, such as hospital workers or those who work in residential care facilities who receive a premium hourly pay for working over eight hours in a day."

Read more: Labor Law on Overtime Pay | eHow.com Labor Law on Overtime Pay | eHow.com

When I worked in a movie theater (years ago after I graduated from high school), it was common for me to work 60-hour weeks, including weekends and evenings. I was never paid overtime, just the regular hourly rate.

As an independent contractor, there is no such thing as overtime unless it's arranged for with that specific client. Otherwise, it's not automatic.
That's true, especially for managments. All USPS supervisors don't get OT pay at all, even though they work more than 40 hrs/wk and attend staff meetings off the clock due to their high annual salary. They usually got bonuses every year but no more because of deficit.

Oh really, it looks like California has complicated laws so I would rather to get lawyer to look at and ensure that workplaces follow state law.

It's called non-traditional full time (NTFT). A few USPS employees work NTFT.

There are lot of companies using that 10/4 method around here and it's not illegal.

Here in DE, the electrician's union has pushed for the state lawmakers to make it illegal for any person to do any hired electrical work in the entire state unless they have a valid electrician's license. 90% of all licensed electricians in the state belong to a union.

A few lawmakers were swayed, and passed the law. The end result? More money for the union, especially when the state mandates that all electricians doing government work are required to pay all workers a minimum of $47 per hour, no matter what they do.

I've applied for work at a few places that are controlled by unions. All refused to hire me, as the only way I could get in is if another union member recommends me, but I would have to join the union first.

I've been harassed by union members at job sites. So, I don't care if this offends anyone...my opinion is, fuck the unions. They are the number one reason business owners decided to ship jobs overseas, and they don't give a shit about their workers, just their money and the ability to control the workers. Like diehardbiker says, there are plenty of other organizations to help protect the workers.

Same for my SIL. He works rotating shifts, four days on, three off, regularly. Ten hours per day is considered the regular work day, and is not overtime. If he has to work more days (because one of the other guys is sick or on vacation) then he does get overtime pay for anything over 40 hours per week.

Here in DE, the electrician's union has pushed for the state lawmakers to make it illegal for any person to do any hired electrical work in the entire state unless they have a valid electrician's license. 90% of all licensed electricians in the state belong to a union.

A few lawmakers were swayed, and passed the law. The end result? More money for the union, especially when the state mandates that all electricians doing government work are required to pay all workers a minimum of $47 per hour, no matter what they do.

I've applied for work at a few places that are controlled by unions. All refused to hire me, as the only way I could get in is if another union member recommends me, but I would have to join the union first.

I've been harassed by union members at job sites. So, I don't care if this offends anyone...my opinion is, fuck the unions. They are the number one reason business owners decided to ship jobs overseas, and they don't give a shit about their workers, just their money and the ability to control the workers. Like diehardbiker says, there are plenty of other organizations to help protect the workers.
What other organizatons?

For the record, she is paid by hour, not a yearly salary. I would be curious what the law in Michigan was. However, I thought that the 40 hour weekly was set by federal, not state.

There is a fed law that covers this. Some states have additional laws.

Wirelessly posted

That is why unions are needed so companies can't screw us. Organize now.

Her mistake was not clocking in she has no record that she worked that 5 hours on the fifth day.

Some states like California you get OT over 8 hours a day. Some states you have to work 40 hour before you get OT

Heh, it is unions that do the screwing. They prey on people. It is really sad.

Heh, it is unions that do the screwing. They prey on people. It is really sad.

I disagree with you and not all unions are screwing us, so there are good and bad unions, just like good and bad corporations.

Good example OSHA that is run by government, where if companies have dangerous working conditions, OSHA takes over and punish companies and enforces the safety codes. Union back then, like Homestead steel mill strike, employees down there organized after Frick (The CEO of steel company was ruthless and don't give damn about safety of employees. That was before OSHA was formed by Uncle Sam. There were machines all over without safety on it and if your trip, your DEAD period, and Frick don't give damn about it. Frick mistake was to allow private cops shooting employees where most of them don't have guns to protect themselves. Outside the mill, though media whom called the Pittsburgher was outraged over this, Andrew Carnegie fired Frick, thank god!
What other organizatons?

Back