Outrageous Employment Discrimination

Typical, I've been in a new area in the last 2 years and the deaf community is the most apathatic group I've ever seen. I've gotten involved with many groups that do absolutely nothing except talk about other people and complain about injustices but they get angry if someomne wants to do something and confront discrimination because they think it will make the discrimination worse. Of course this is after the grill you for personal info for hours and then decide that they can't do anything for you.

What is wrong with advocating instead of litigating? Anybody ever thought about that or is that just too much trouble? I think a social medai campaign done in a nice way would be much more effective than threatening an attorney or federal complaint.

That's right Attaboy keep on doing absolutely NOTHING. That way we can be sure NOTHING gets done.

Typical, I've been in a new area in the last 2 years and the deaf community is the most apathatic group I've ever seen. I've gotten involved with many groups that do absolutely nothing except talk about other people and complain about injustices but they get angry if someomne wants to do something and confront discrimination because they think it will make the discrimination worse. Of course this is after the grill you for personal info for hours and then decide that they can't do anything for you.

What is wrong with advocating instead of litigating? Anybody ever thought about that or is that just too much trouble? I think a social medai campaign done in a nice way would be much more effective than threatening an attorney or federal complaint.

That's right Attaboy keep on doing absolutely NOTHING. That way we can be sure NOTHING gets done.
This post, asyou enumerate all your failures with multiple groups, pretty much proves my point that you are nothing but an agitator with no vested interest.
I also notice you evaded the question about who you are,,,

I've got my own situation with a courtroom who ignored my request for accomodation, did the USDOJ thng which was worthless, they said they were too busy and to get an attorney. Talked to zillions of attorneys who don't want to deal with the system. Bar association can't recommend anybody and deaf community just asks the same questions everybody else does and then says I don't know what to tell you. Months and months of the same stuff over and over.
I don't give out personal info because my identity was stolen before--never again. Anybody that does is asking for trouble.
I thought I might get support from here but its the same old thing--don't make waves or you might draw attention to our cause.

Look - just like what everyone said - we all have been through this if not EVERYDAY. This happens not just once, but multiple times in life. There seems to be a fair amount of people who either refused to step up for us or the lack of knowledge/know how to deal with this delicately where we ALL can keep our jobs without embarrassment/fear of retaliation. It happens more often then you think. We deaf/HOH are always responded with oh dont worry it taken care of or dont worry its ok or Dont worry I will speak to them. it always results in awkwardness in many ways and even lasts for a considerable amount of time. It just doesn't happen at places of employment, but in schools, social places, homes, within the family, etc.

How to deal with it? good question. it always starts with honesty and open communication. sounds simple right? wrong - its harder then you think and it requires a strong stand and overcoming of that sickening feeling in gut to talk to people to resolve these things. Just simply retaliating against the wrongful party just leads to more problems.

good luck...

Discrimination sucks

I have been discriminated against because of my lack of hearing. I have had bosses give me a hard time because I couldn't understand the instructions he and she gave because they weren't looking at me. I was even discriminated against at the humane society because they didn't think I could hear the dogs growling:roll: I understand that a lot of people complain that they are harassed at work for one thing or another, but what about us people who actually have a disability and get discriminated against anyways??? Pisses me off!!!!

I am just so sick of the do nothing attitude, nothing will ever get done.

Many of us have given up and accepted the fact that we will always be discriminated against. We don't have the time or resources to go after companies that discriminate, and get this in your head: It is very difficult to prove discrimination. The onus is on US to provide proof, and coming up with concrete evidence is difficult and time consuming.

If you are a hearing person, you will never understand what it is like to be in our shoes.

The runaround sounds like a state agency here

For a time I didn't have health care and thought my daughter would qualify for the state health care program. I told them I needed an interview in person. As I was not applying for food or other assistance my interview would only and could only be conducted on the telephone. The person giving the 30 minute interview may not have even been in California. I used the relay/TDD and got ahold of someone and told them I wanted to change the interview. "Ok, OK we can do that. We will take care of it". The guy didn't do anything, so I missed the first and second telephone interview. I was sent a letter stating that I was disqualified because I didn't keep appointments. Pure BS from California. I have health insurance for my daughter and I through my employment now. Monthly premiums are $250! I have never got any state or fedeal benefits.

She just got hurt from rejection. Honestly, rejection does not mean the end, one should just return repeatedly until one gets a job. That's how I roll these days, I'm a chef and I get rejected a lot when I look for a job. But I didn't care what they say, I go back to the same place and show them that I am ready to work. I just keep coming back restlessly until they give me a job. It's simple and I understand that most people say it's not easy as you said it is but it is really, just do not be afraid, what will they do to you when you ask for a job? They can only say yes or no. Simple as that.

Back