Original Sin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, but how do we know we inherited a lot of sins from Adam and Eve since there was nothing to steal, rape, pillage in a garden that had nothing but animals, trees, flowers, etc.

what happen if you drink Drano? You would be dead physically. When God said you can eat anything except one, the tree of knowledge of good and evil. If you eat forbidden fruit, you surely will die. God meant, spiritually dead, it kill the spirit, that is where sin took over and poison in them and it is passing down throughout the generation. Sin stained us, its not what we do, it's part of the nature of sin. Like rich man ask Jesus, what should we do, when we inherit the kingdom of God. Jesus knew his limitations, and said, follow the laws. Rich man said, I follow all 10 commandments since I was young. And Jesus said, then give all what you have. Why did Jesus say that? It is because that's apply the 10 commandments and try to emphasize, no one made it, why? Sin. Like some of us try to point out, sin is not something only wrong doing, sin also meant our limitation compare our lives and God Himself.

The argument isn't do Babies understand they are sinning.
Because wether they understand or not, Unintentional Sin, is still Sin.
Second, Some claim that Babies are born with Sin (Sin nature, Original Sin, Inherent Sin)

Comprehending Sin is not an excuse, for any individual. That's not Biblical.

Are individuals born with Sin?

Last edited:
Yeah but do you agree that it is a general belief that it was an apple? Remember most illustrators believed it was the most common fruit.

I do not really care what "belief" people hold. I quoted Wikipedia:

Popularly, the fruit has been identified as an apple (perhaps as a Latin pun of 'malus' sounding like 'evil' and 'apple'), although the Bible does not identify the fruit as an apple.

Also, I already said this:

Even still, it is not exactly Biblical to call it an apple because the bottom line is that it is still an unnamed fruit with vague references of what it actually is.

We know it is a "belief" but it still is an unnamed fruit.

Original sin, to me is doing something wrong after have eaten the fruit. Remember they did something that warranted getting kicked out of the Garden of Eden.

Maybe that is what original sin means to you but it is not the Biblical definition. The fruit was forbidden to them to eat. They broke that rule.

You asked me to analyze your belief and your meaning of original sin so here it is:

It makes sense because it is the first thing we all have done as sinners, but how can babies sin? They all do is gurgle and make baby noises, how can they be sinners if they do not know what they really are doing in most cases? Sure, they can be mischievous sometimes, but it is merely in their nature to test their parents to see if the parents can show that they can do good parenting. I'm sure you or your sister have given your parents a hard time when you or your sister were babies. We all probably did give our parents a hard time, right? I know I sure did as a baby. But that doesn't mean babies are sinners if they have not yet developed full cognitive process.

That is exactly my argument. How can babies sin if they do not know how to sin in the first place? Even though we human beings are sinners in nature, we would not be held accountable by God for committing an unknown sin. So in that case, if babies died early, would they go to heaven or hell? One poster in this thread said that they would probably not be accounted for:

And although the whole "do babies go to heaven?" is perplexing, I couldn't find any support for accountability in what I have read.

Last edited:
Yiffzer...You blame me for not reading carefully..apparently you have the same affliction, *sigh*

Where have I blamed you for not reading carefully in this thread? Please don't attack me.

...anyway, I, and as well, other Christians HAVE ALREADY told you that ALL of us, that includes, you too were born sinners, so that means ALL BABIES whether they understand or not, they still sin.

Where have I denied that? I actually pointed out that I did understand that.

I understand that we all sin, sometimes unknowingly, even by ignorance. However, if we did not know it was a sin, we would not be held accountable.

Being fairly blunt, it is not me but others that can not read or understand. For example, I asked this:

I have asked earlier to show me verses where Jesus had said anything about original sin.

And Cheri quoted Romans 5:12:

Wherefore as by one man sin entered into this world and by sin death: and so death passed upon all men, in whom all have sinned.

Cheri failed to understand my question.

Some churches like Baptist, Lutheran, Catholic, etc. baptize babies because as sinners, babies need what baptism offers; John 3:5-6. No one can enter the Kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the spirit gives birth to spirit.

Even that is debated amongst denominations. Apparently some Christians here do not believe baptism is "all that". I will bring up possibly three problems with the concept of baptism.

The first problem is that baptism, like original sin, was introduced by Paul. Paul linked baptism with original sin. Since I already presented problems with original sin (which no one has directly addressed yet), it is also difficult to trust baptism as a Biblical concept.

The second problem is that Jesus never spoke of baptism or defined baptism like Paul did. Paul defined baptism as:

"Are you ignorant of the fact that all of us who have been baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? We were buried therefore with Him by the baptism into death, so that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glorious [power] of the Father, so we too might [habitually] live and behave in newness of life." (Romans: 6:3-4)

However, Jesus did go through the water but only for purification purposes:

It happened in those days that Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized in the Jordan by John. On coming up out of the water he saw the heavens being torn open and the Spirit, like a dove, descending upon him. And a voice came from the heavens, "You are my beloved Son; with you I am well pleased." (Mark 1:9-11)

How do we know baptism is purification? It is supported by the Old Testament. Numbers 19:1-22 explain indepthly of the purpose and how to purify oneself. For example, this portion explains that water is for the purpose of purifying from sin:

"A man who is clean shall gather up the ashes of the heifer and put them in a ceremonially clean place outside the camp. They shall be kept by the Israelite community for use in the water of cleansing; it is for purification from sin. The man who gathers up the ashes of the heifer must also wash his clothes, and he too will be unclean till evening. This will be a lasting ordinance both for the Israelites and for the aliens living among them." (Numbers 19:9-10)

The third problem is that even though babies were baptized, they would still not know what baptism is. Would they be accountable for not being baptized? What justification is there to let babies burn in hell for something they are unable to get or do? This is what makes the concept of original sin and baptism flawed.

Babies also are able to have faith!

How so? That's a pretty wild assumption. My argument is that you can not have faith the moment you were born; you can only learn it.

Babies can only coo when smilin' ..what else ? hmm Babies can see people's faces and smile at them. If, babies cry - it's their communication to let the parents to know that they are hungry, or their diapers are wet, or want to be loved by holdin' or talk to them by hearin' parents' voices. So, therefore the babies don't know what a sin is. Babies are innocent. If, anythin' should happen to them -- they will go to Heaven. :)

Thank you for answering my question! Do other Christians agree with this opinion?

That is exactly my argument. How can babies sin if they do not know how to sin in the first place? Even though we human beings are sinners in nature, we would not be held accountable by God for committing an unknown sin. So in that case, if babies died early, would they go to heaven or hell? One poster in this thread said that they would probably not be accounted for:

And although the whole "do babies go to heaven?" is perplexing, I couldn't find any support for accountability in what I have read.

I would say babies that die early in their lives would go to Heaven because they still have not sinned at that point of their lives. Even if babies can't form a sentence yet, but they are still human beings, so they would have to be treated like any other soul. Disregarding them is like saying God should ignore all of us adults and dooming us to an eternity of wandering the earth as lost souls.

How so? That's a pretty wild assumption. My argument is that you can not have faith the moment you were born; you can only learn it.

Right, babies are born with no knowledge. It is the parents that have to teach them faith among a billion other things.

Maybe that is what original sin means to you but it is not the Biblical definition. The fruit was forbidden to them to eat. They broke that rule.

You're right. They did break the rule. Why? It is because according to the Bible, they chose to listen to a snake over God.

Right, babies are born with no knowledge. It is the parents that have to teach them faith among a billion other things.

Exactly. The parents are the babies' first teachers before schools, neighbors, other kids, and etc., etc. The parents are the babies' role models.

Quick correction to a previous ADer post:

Baptists do NOT baptize infants.

This just in, thought I share:
VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Roman Catholic Church has effectively buried the concept of limbo, the place where centuries of tradition and teaching held that babies who die without baptism went.
Catholic Church buries limbo after centuries - Yahoo! News

Isn't it amazing that the Pope can just make an entire realm of non-existence disappear?

Now back to your regular viewing program.

"The Church teaches that baptism removes original sin which stains all souls since the fall from grace in the Garden of Eden."

Sounds like a fairy tale, no offense.

"The Church teaches that baptism removes original sin which stains all souls since the fall from grace in the Garden of Eden."

Sounds like a fairy tale, no offense.

What Church is that? Mere baptism DOES NOT wash away the sin nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back