Oregon community college shooting, multiple casualties

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was doing it illegaly then he is not a "good guy" and I don't just let go illegal activity. If you knew about it and let it happen you are just as responsible for that illegal gun. Seems like you know a lot of criminals and potential murderers seb. Or do you just see it that way. You know durring the ban it was perfectly legal to assemble a gun from parts manufactured before the ban. Many people did.

At the time I had no idea what was and what wasn't legal and one is dead and the other I haven't seen in many, many years and have no idea if he is still alive or where he is living. Both came off as total "gun nuts" and I basically steered clear of them. I probably don't know any more "criminals" then the next person. Funny thing was at the time I knew these "gun nuts" (one was a friend of a friend and the other I met through train collecting) I new 13 police officers and they were as crooked or more so than anyone else I knew. Yes, knowing how our government works I'm sure it was legal and that is the fault of our do nothing congress who didn't have the backbone to make the ban permanent.

so how would your gun laws stop someone from getting an automatic weapon and commiting murder?

It's not going to stop all of them, but it might stop those that snap and go off on a killing rampage. The current laws aren't working and it's time to institute some new ones to see if we can eliminate some of these shootings.

If you can't explain to me how it's going stop killings then why should I consider it? The only two things you've suggested are a ban like one we had for 10 years that didn't work and testing that would basicaly be an outright ban for anyone but the rich and wouldn't keep guns from killers anyway.

If you can't explain to me how it's going stop killings then why should I consider it? The only two things you've suggested are a ban like one we had for 10 years that didn't work and testing that would basicaly be an outright ban for anyone but the rich and wouldn't keep guns from killers anyway.

That's the thing! As long as human beings have a choice, we cannot stop all the killings. It is human beings that are doing the killing, not guns or other weapons.

In order to stop this madness, we gotta go back and start teaching human beings respect from when they are toddlers. Till that is done, it is gonna get worse than it is now.

it doesn't matter what we ban or what we do or don't do. If a person being has no respect then that person is gonna do what he/she gonna do and nobody is gonna stop them.

Yeah,

Discipline -- respect, manners, compassion.

Spoiled -- undisciplined brats, defiance, walk over anyone's shells to do what they want.

There is more reasons into this... drugs is one thing, money is another, peer pressure, bandwagons (social media), so on. A lot of failures in today's world and that is sad.

That's the thing! As long as human beings have a choice, we cannot stop all the killings. It is human beings that are doing the killing, not guns or other weapons.

In order to stop this madness, we gotta go back and start teaching human beings respect from when they are toddlers. Till that is done, it is gonna get worse than it is now.

it doesn't matter what we ban or what we do or don't do. If a person being has no respect then that person is gonna do what he/she gonna do and nobody is gonna stop them.

Yeah,

Spoiled -- undisciplined brats, defiance, walk over anyone's shells to do what they want.

There is more reasons into this... drugs is one thing, money is another, peer pressure, bandwagons (social media), so on. A lot of failures in today's world and that is sad.

And where does it start? from their childhood of not being taught respect.

There has always been a few that never did have respect but today the number of those that doesn't have respect has skyrocketed.

Brain wiring, chemistry and trauma have more to do with mass killings than respect. You can teach them all you want but unless you spot and address these problems it does little good.

At the time I had no idea what was and what wasn't legal and one is dead and the other I haven't seen in many, many years and have no idea if he is still alive or where he is living. Both came off as total "gun nuts" and I basically steered clear of them. I probably don't know any more "criminals" then the next person. Funny thing was at the time I knew these "gun nuts" (one was a friend of a friend and the other I met through train collecting) I new 13 police officers and they were as crooked or more so than anyone else I knew. Yes, knowing how our government works I'm sure it was legal and that is the fault of our do nothing congress who didn't have the backbone to make the ban permanent.

What is a gun nut? Where they acting crazy? Did they point their guns at you or shoot them into the air or something?

Also, again you are using the couple people you know to judge the entire country. I don't know these ex friends of yours and I don't really care what they did or didn't do. It's two people in millions. Their personal actions shouldn't affect the rest of us law abiding citizens.

Wow, 13 crooked cops, 2 murderous people with ASD and a couple of gun nuts building illegal machine guns in their basement. Sound like you know a LOT more criminals than the average person.

Violent crime has been going down the last 30 years and is the lowest since 1978 so maybe we're teaching something right. I do agree it is a people problem though.

Also "21 percent had suffered a “definite or suspected head injury in the past,” and 55 percent had gone through some sort of psychosocial stressor"

So anyone who's had a head trauma or been through some sort of psychosocial stressor can't be trusted either. So no war vets, no athletes, no survivors of violence or abuse. I'm sure that list can go on for ever. Any one of them could become a mass murderer?
It's a problem now. Some vets avoid requesting help for PTS(D) because they're afraid they'll lose their Second Amendment rights if they're diagnosed.

Interesting, by that definition not every gun is a weapon either. There are many designed and built specifically for sport such as target and clay shooting….
You might want to ask those poor innocent clays about that. ;)

Yeah,

You can teach them all the manners in the world,but if they have a mental illness it's not going to do any good and if you allow them to have a gun in their hands, it's going to be trouble and a tragedy for more families. I know Jonny isn't going to believe this but many of these mass murderers have a mental disorder that causes them to go on a killing spree.

What is a gun nut? Where they acting crazy? Did they point their guns at you or shoot them into the air or something?

Also, again you are using the couple people you know to judge the entire country. I don't know these ex friends of yours and I don't really care what they did or didn't do. It's two people in millions. Their personal actions shouldn't affect the rest of us law abiding citizens.

Wow, 13 crooked cops, 2 murderous people with ASD and a couple of gun nuts building illegal machine guns in their basement. Sound like you know a LOT more criminals than the average person.

A gun nut is just like a train nut, a car nut, etc. There life revolves around their hobby. Yes, I did have one of these idiots point and shoot a shotgun at me once that was only loaded with the wad, needless to say that was the last time I went over to his house. It sounds like you may of done something like this to someone also!

The problem is they are one of many. You might be law abiding, but it's clear that we have a lot of others who are not and there numbers are greater than two in a million. That sounds great: I could care less about other people and there well being, I just want to buy my guns and not be asked any questions. So it's all about you.

I have not trusted a cop since I knew these people, everyone of them told me they lied in court, roughed up people because they could and they drove however they wanted to because they knew nothing was going to happen to them if they got pulled over. I never said the two with ASD were murderers, you just came to that conclusion on your own. I also never said they were building their guns in their basement, one stored his there.

Brain wiring, chemistry and trauma have more to do with mass killings than respect. You can teach them all you want but unless you spot and address these problems it does little good.

Finally you agree with me! It's been a long and winding road to get to this point.

Yeah,

It's also about parents letting the child raise themselves or wanting the schools to raise the child for them. Another problem that hasn't been addressed is all the kids playing violent video games and having trouble separating fact from fantasy.

It goes back to what I originally said, if a person has trouble reasoning or has made threats or is plain crazy, they should not have guns. In many of the shootings after the fact the family, friends, neighbors, etc. said that the person was not right or they had made threats saying they were going to kill someone, yet they never said anything to anyone or got the person helpm but kept it within the family. Adam Lanza, James Holmes and the Oregon shooter could be poster boys for missed opportunities to keep a tragedy from happening.
Therefore, it's not a lack of law that's the problem. It's the lack of attention and action by those family, friends and neighbors of the "poster boys." Got it.

it did not expire. it was not renewed because such law makes no sense.

Since it was not renewed the law expired.

The ten-year ban was passed by the U.S. Congress on September 13, 1994, and signed into law by President Bill Clinton the same day. The ban only applied to weapons manufactured after the date of the ban's enactment, and it expired on September 13, 2004, per its sunset provision.

The law made sense, Allowing the ban to only apply to weapons manufactured after the bills enactment didn't.

Never said they all were, just some of them. I personally know two people with Aspergers who have serious reasoning issues and I wouldn't trust them with a gun. It's not really gun control, it's keeping the guns out of the hands of people who shouldn't have them in the first place.
OK, so you know two people who (in your layman's opinion) shouldn't have guns. Do they?

Therefore, it's not a lack of law that's the problem. It's the lack of attention and action by those family, friends and neighbors of the "poster boys." Got it.

No, if the family, friends and neighbors don't do anything we have to have something in place to protect society and these crazy people who are allowed to get a gun. Got it.

And a gun is a tool. 99% of guns in this country are used for sport and hunting. I harvest a deer with my rifle like someone harvests hay with a scythe.

It may be a tool to you, but to probably 99.9% of the rest of us a gun is a weapon.

Definition from Dictionary.com

Weapon
[wep-uh n]
Spell Syllables
Examples Word Origin
noun
any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.
anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back