Ordering Takout through relay

VacationGuy234

Reaction score
As usual, during pre-weekend relaxation time, I tried to order takeout at a local Thai place using the relay service. On Friday and Saturday night, this can be a trying experience at best. During these times, restaurants usually have their hands full and won't take your relay call. I can understand it. They have a lot going on and there is
usually a language barrier not only with deaf but hearing people as
well. I can't blame them given the fact that I can't understand at
times too. However, during tonight's call, a person at the restaurant
told the relay operator to never call again. This got me pretty
steamed so I went to the restaurant looking for some answers. I was
fully prepared to file a complaint with the town hall over lack of
access. It turns out someone was playing a prank on the place and
ordering stuff that would never be picked up. The owner must have
apologized to me 20 times, I calmed down.

While waiting for my order, the owner comes back and tells me I can
fax an order instead of using relay. In addition, one employee gives
me a web site for online orders(for this place, I did not know it
existed). I'll be putting in online orders from this point forward.

However, the fax option got me wondering. I have never put in takeout orders by fax. Has anyone done this? Obviously, you are not charged for the order when you send the fax so I'm not sure it is any more secure for the restaurant than taking a call. Although, they do have your fax number so that is something.

Beyond all this, if someone does commit a hoax ordering takeout, through a relay service, this really puts a black mark on the service. I'm not sure what can be done about it. Has anyone ever experienced it?

People have abused the relay system by placing fake calls and as a result that's why relay service providers now require address and name verification.

I've had problems too with relay calls due to impatient people and sometimes they even hang up telling me they don't have time for this. I just don't deal with that business anymore.

There are good businesses who will accomodate the relay calls you might have to keep calling around. There's no excuse for a restauranteur to spent a few more minutes; after all in their parking lot they have handicapped spots. We're not asking for much here and if they won't give it screw 'em.

We used to fax our lunch order from the Pharmacy at least twice a week. It was nice because both parties had the same written orders. Less mistakes for sure.

Or order thru www I did that for Pizza Hut it worked fine ;)

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

As usual, during pre-weekend relaxation time, I tried to order takeout at a local Thai place using the relay service. On Friday and Saturday night, this can be a trying experience at best. During these times, restaurants usually have their hands full and won't take your relay call. I can understand it. They have a lot going on and there is
usually a language barrier not only with deaf but hearing people as
well. I can't blame them given the fact that I can't understand at
times too. However, during tonight's call, a person at the restaurant
told the relay operator to never call again. This got me pretty
steamed so I went to the restaurant looking for some answers. I was
fully prepared to file a complaint with the town hall over lack of
access. It turns out someone was playing a prank on the place and
ordering stuff that would never be picked up. The owner must have
apologized to me 20 times, I calmed down.

While waiting for my order, the owner comes back and tells me I can
fax an order instead of using relay. In addition, one employee gives
me a web site for online orders(for this place, I did not know it
existed). I'll be putting in online orders from this point forward.

However, the fax option got me wondering. I have never put in takeout orders by fax. Has anyone done this? Obviously, you are not charged for the order when you send the fax so I'm not sure it is any more secure for the restaurant than taking a call. Although, they do have your fax number so that is something.

Beyond all this, if someone does commit a hoax ordering takeout, through a relay service, this really puts a black mark on the service. I'm not sure what can be done about it. Has anyone ever experienced it?

Have you heard of Grub Hub?

I don't do business without the ability to order online. It's quicker, more efficient , and relay ought to be obsolete for restaurant ordering by now.

I have heard about the fax before. I never tried that one. That's a good question if it charges more by using the fax. I order through online or video phone. I prefer video phone so I would know whats going on.

Just looked at that and in my zip code only one restaurant is on it, but there are dozens that I could use from their own websites with online orders.

Of course. I'm just saying that may or may not be the solution.

I've had problems too with relay calls due to impatient people and sometimes they even hang up telling me they don't have time for this. I just don't deal with that business anymore.

There are good businesses who will accomodate the relay calls you might have to keep calling around. There's no excuse for a restauranteur to spent a few more minutes; after all in their parking lot they have handicapped spots. We're not asking for much here and if they won't give it screw 'em.

I have done as you, but I don't think at total ban for that offense is warranted. The energy would be better served building bridges rather than burning them(even in the heat of battle). The problem could be anything from a lazy worker and bad relay operator to a bad business. It's not like we have rocket scientist manning the phones at restaurants.

I'll look into grub hub...

To be fair, it takes more energy to establish a relationship than to ignore one. A lot of times it's not worth the effort over something so simple as a meal. Yet, those relationships may serve us well.

Interesting: I've never ordered by video phone.

There is a company here, they will take your order(s) go wherever to get it, pay for it, then deliver to you for the price of the order + fuel and tips. I dont remember the name of it but most resraunts here advertises the company as well as in the local papers.

I ordered online like the pizza chains. Fax orders? Who have fax machines now???

Chinese restaurants have cultural differences. Usually I go there to order.

Other places required credit cards confirmation to order.

Back