Oralism, Deaf culture, and would you choose to be hearing?

apkeats26

Reaction score
Hey I am a hearing person, and I am writing a research paper this week about deaf topics. I had a few questions that I wanted to ask.

What is everybodys opinion on Oralism? What do you think about the process that they teach children, should they teach Deaf children/adults to talk?

If you could choose before you were born to be deaf or hearing, what would you choose and why?

And any info about deaf culture, area trends, etc.

Thanks a lot,

Aaron

If I had a Choice I would choose Hearing. Why? Because I would like to be

Able to hear what the sounds are like what different life would be if I was Hearing. :)

The Path of Life....What friends, What would I learn, What my voice would be like, My hearing, My English Grammer, Jobs.. Etc.:)

I do not feel right about oralism for me because too much misunderstanding avoid that way..
I was raised hearing school mainstream "oralism" and having hard time to understanding. My parent gave it up and send me transfer Deaf School which I"m very identifty strongly DEAF and learned ASL.
I can oralism to talk with hearing peoples but depend my voice isn't right.. otherway use pen and paper to communcation.
I do not choose to be hearing.. I have to accept who am I "DEAF" and still happy anyway :)

Hmm... if I born to be hearing.

I would be the one. I could be the president and ruin people's life. :o

Seriously... I thought of myself when being hearing. It could give me a great adventure for me involed with work and school and friends. And, yet, I could enjoy talk on cell phone while on road. How dangerous!

It could be up to children's choice whatever they want to speak or use sign language whatever, they are feel comfortable to make out of communication. I know several people make no choice but take speech course to speak-able.

Last edited:
I am an Oralism...I speak , use ASL sign language and read lips....

I believe that they should teach children how to talk because ,the ability to speak gives children with hearing impairment opportunities and equipped with language and reading skills, deaf children do better academically. They experience a wider range of educational, social and career choices allowing them many more opportunities to participate in a hearing world.....

Every parent has dreams for their child. When they learn their child is deaf, these dreams can be shattered. Parents sometimes feel shock, grief, confusion and devastation. But for parents who want their children to listen and speak, there is hope....now build on this residual hearing so that children who wear hearing aids or cochlear implants can in fact learn to listen and speak.....

Oral education are use of total communication and Cued Speech. In these methods, information is presented using a sign as communication with other deaf/hoh with American Sign Language and learning oral skills is encouraged as well....

Well, for choosing to be deaf or hearing ....that's a hard one , umm...U're asking us if we weren't born yet what would we choose?....I really don't know the answer to that because, once a baby is born , he/she would be either hearing or deaf....If I were to choose to be hearing rather than being deaf then that would be wrong for me to say...because I would still be happy either way!... :mrgreen:

If a genie came to me and gave me the choice to be able to hear or be deaf, I would remain deaf because I am so used to being deaf and can't imagine life otherwise. I wouldn't want to suddenly become hearing and hear all these strange sounds around me. What if I didn't like it? I can't turn it off! I would rather be deaf.

As for oralism, I can't really say if I agree or disagree with it. I was raised in a total communication environment where I didn't have to rely on speechreading. I would communicate exclusively by sign language. For me, it was very good and benefical. But would that model work for everyone? Nope. I hate it when people say that a model can fit everyone, because it will not be true. Some people would do better off with oral method, and others with sign language method and others with bicultural bilingual approach. It's not always easy to decide what is best for the child, but it is the responsiblity of the child to see which environment would be best for the child to benefit from. If it is not working out, then try a different environment. Keep trying until you think that the child is getting the most out of a program.

Thanks for your opinions, keep them coming if you can.

An interesting point was brought up, "If I could hear, what if I didn't like all of the sounds and couldn't turn it off?" Well, I am hearing and iI can't see anything wrong w/ noise, except for when I'm trying to sleep. But here are some questions regarding that topic.

If you can hear, couldn't it save your life to hear a car horn blowing as you were walking across the street?

What about music? I listen to a lot of music, all the time, when I sleep, when I shower, when I study, and when I'm just wasting time, I always have it on. Why? I love it. Do deaf people/the people on the board, ever wish that they could hear music?

Also, if I say anything that is unappreciated or offending, let me know, as I said before, I am hearing, so I don't know a lot about deaf culture. Thanks

-Aaron

apkeats26 said:
What about music? I listen to a lot of music, all the time, when I sleep, when I shower, when I study, and when I'm just wasting time, I always have it on. Why? I love it. Do deaf people/the people on the board, ever wish that they could hear music?

I do not understand about music stuff. But the only thing I enjoy the feel of beat or that speaker cause vibrator. Some people enjoy it. Some of them don't.

I am surprise I know of one person, himself hearing impaired, can sing so well.

Other deaf have bigger speaker in his truck and turn so LOUD! Guess that he enjoy the feel while driving. :crazy:

apkeats26 said:
If you can hear, couldn't it save your life to hear a car horn blowing as you were walking across the street?

To be honest here, I was raise to look both sides before I ever walked across the streets....It's wouldn't make any difference if I heard a car/truck honking their horns because there had been some children/adults who been hit when walking or riding their bikes across the street by accident even through they may heard the horns...

What about music?

I do hear music but not the words in the music....It would be nice to hear music without turning it up LOUDER!... :lol:

Music: Actually I do not really know more about music about? Espically I do not mind allow my children can use music.

Other sounds on the street, Depends on IF I can hear anything sounds eg: Blaring siren, sirening, high pitches, and fewer can hear by loud sounds. I do not hear anything normal sounds alike voices and background sounds.

Espically My daughter kept complain and can't stand too loud and wishes her ears shut it off.. I was asked her, Do you really want to be Deaf? She replied NO, I do not want to be Deaf but just not want hear anything sounds for "shut it off" In my mind.. (guessing what she really means.. alike volume turn it off)

apkeats26 said:

To be Honest, I looked both ways before walking across the street...

What about music? Do deaf people/the people on the board, ever wish that they could hear music?

I used to listen to music with headphones every single day when I get home from school but then I lost more hearing to my ears cuz of the Volume was turned up loud... I would love more than anything to hear the words again .. But if that doesn't happen then it doesn't happen.. But I can still hear music but not the words theyre saying.:(

I am sort of getting an understanding about the music thing...I myself can't really imagine a world without it. I used to listen w/ headphones really loud until I started to realize that I could lose hearing because of it.

I do go to concerts every now and then, I just went to a rave, and I think that deaf people would enjoy that because you can really feel the music there, it just pounds at your chest....

How exactly do people teach oralism? What are methods? Etc...

I was taught to look both sides of the street before crossing. I don't think that the loss of hearing puts your life in danger. I think, we just somehow develop a way to be more attentive to our environment and what's going on.

As for music, it plays no role in my life. I know it might be hard for some of you to understand, but to me it has no value at all whatsoever. I would rather see something more visual like the arts, movies and so on. I am content with the silence around me and it doesn't bother me if my friends have music on. I never wished to be able to hear the music. I can feel its vibrations to an extend where I can identify which type of music it is, country, rock and roll, etc... It's not so hard to do.

With my job, I tell parents that oral education is when they emphasize on speechreading skills and generally discourage sign language in an educational setting. I think one negative part of it is that since only a small part of sounds are visible on the mouth, it takes a lot of guesswork to know what is being said in the class. Sometimes I think they emphasise too much on lipreading and speaking, that they lose out on the goal to educate the children in general subjects. The kids are rewarded for saying things right, but do they understand what these words really mean? This might be the reason why this model may not work for everyone. For some people it would be great and for people like me, I would lose out on it definitely.

With Oral Method I was taught at School And My dad put my sister and I into a special Program to teach us to use our voice to say the Sound of the Words... It was very Hard at first but then I got Very Conformable After a while. We been doing that all through our childhood to High School...I miss one of my Favorite Speech Teacher cuz she was the nicest one after all of the rest of the Speech teacher. Cuz if we pronounce the wrong word she doesn't get as pissy as the rest of the Speech Teachers... :P

and Plus we learned to communcate with our voices at home... My parent did took sign Language classes but then they don't use it much but My other hearing sister use more signs and know more than my Parent do...

well oralism helps me communicate with more people, even though it's not always easy for me to understand alot of people, who always mumble or speak too fast, and not opening their mouth wide enough when they speak so I can read their lips...etc.
it wasn't easy for me either but was worth the while to get it all caught up.

and you say that if I would rather go hearing? geez, that's impossible because I'm DEAF and as that I am, I will be deaf for the rest of my life! but of course, I have to accept who I am and I dont really complain about that but I just wish other people would just appericate who I am no matter what, and not get nervous or scared just because of my deafness, and it's a lame excuse they try to make. Everybody's different, and everybody should realize that.

apkeats26 said:
Thanks for your opinions, keep them coming if you can.

An interesting point was brought up, "If I could hear, what if I didn't like all of the sounds and couldn't turn it off?" Well, I am hearing and iI can't see anything wrong w/ noise, except for when I'm trying to sleep. But here are some questions regarding that topic.

Also, if I say anything that is unappreciated or offending, let me know, as I said before, I am hearing, so I don't know a lot about deaf culture. Thanks

-Aaron
I'm not much of a music fan, and as you already know that I'm deaf, I was born deaf so I never get to know HOW the music exactly sounds in my own two ears but of course, I can hear it with my hearing aid but I just dont really understand what it's about...I can feel the vibration of the beats, the rymth, etc...but not the singer...the voice of the singer is so DAMN soft I can barely hear it...no matter how much volume I can turn it up, I can still not understand what it's saying because I cant even read the singerr's lips! So, pretty much about music is that I can just feel "it" instead of "hearing it".

This is sreat so far, what are some of the different methods of oralism? Are there many different techniques? Are there any sites that have info? THanks
-Aaron

As for music, it plays no role in my life. I know it might be hard for some of you to understand, but to me it has no value at all whatsoever. I would rather see something more visual like the arts, movies and so on. I am content with the silence around me and it doesn't bother me if my friends have music on. I never wished to be able to hear the music. I can feel its vibrations to an extend where I can identify which type of music it is, country, rock and roll, etc... It's not so hard to do.

True, music plays no role in my life too as well. People have found it difficult to understand why, but that's because they cannot imagine their lives without music.

But if I was born hearing, would I had appreciated the art of film?

I have a very strong doubt that I would had been such a serious film buff if I was hearing.

You have some valid points, specifically about film, how do you have a better appreciation for it now?

apkeats26 said:
You have some valid points, specifically about film, how do you have a better appreciation for it now?

Because I grew up as a very visual person, and I always loved the visual images.

My siblings, now that's a whole different story. They have very different tastes, and they don't have the same respect for films like I do.

Back