oral terps

inmate23

Reaction score
hi

how many use oral terps?

how many oral terps are there?

what is the point of them?(isn't the pro oral arrangement that orals dont need terps)

dont worry im happy using Rochester method(it works for me)

Even though my main language is spoken language, if I ever decide I want an interpreter in the future, it will be an interpreter who is able to sign in BSL.

Before I learned ASL, I had oral terps. I never really got much anyway.

From Oral Interpreting - Being an Oral Interpreter for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing

"Oral interpreting is less common, but is still a recognized subspecialty of interpreting. The oral interpreter simply silently mouth interprets speech for the nonsigning deaf consumer. In addition, an oral interpreter may use facial expressions and gestures. This service benefits nonsigning deaf people and hard of hearing people who read lips."

An Oral Terp is someone who re-speaks what others say - so that a speech-reading (oral) deaf / Hoh person is able to understand what is being said.

They are mainly used for oral deaf/Hoh who are taking college/University classes or other situations where there are many people talking randomly from different parts of a room (including behind the deaf/Hoh person, or in other locations where the face isn't visible), or in cases where the primary speaker is difficult to speech read (due to: facial hair, lisp, accent, Bell's Palsy etc)

They are used almost exclusively by "Oral deaf/Hoh" who don't know any form of manual communication including Cueing, MCE,SEE(I/II), ASL/BSL/Auslan etc. Oral interpreters aren't really very common anymore (if they ever were) - mainly because systems like CART etc are much more common, reliable and it is generally easier to train a CART operator than an Oral Interpreter.

For those who aren't aware of CART it is a system by which speech is converted by a transcriptionist/typist into "real-time" text which can be read privately on an individual's computer screen (if there is only a single CART user) or displayed on a large screen (for multiple CART users). The added "bonus" of using CART for educational settings is that the entire "word-for-word" text transcription can be saved to a computer file and given to the CART user (generally a deaf/Hoh person) and used much the same way that hearing students may elect to using an audio recording device in class to record the entire spoken content of the class so that they can listen to it again at a future date :)

Hope that helps !

can someone please answer this question pleeeeeeeeeeeeease
People use oral transliterators when they can't clearly see or understand the person speaking. Examples are:

* the speaker mumbles, speaks with an accent, doesn't enunciate clearly

* the speaker walks around the room, so face-to-face contact is impossible

* the speaker stands too far away, such as on a stage

* the speaker is in an area with poor lighting

* the speaker's facial hair interferes with clear speech reading

* speakers from a panel or audience are varied

Also:

http://www.rid.org/UserFiles/File/p...Drafts_June_2006/Oral_Transliteration_SPP.pdf

The posters above me got it right on. I had never heard of oral transliterators until just about three days ago. I think they're much less common now and most oral deaf just use captioning.

Oral interpreters aren't really very common anymore (if they ever were) - mainly because systems like CART etc are much more common, reliable and it is generally easier to train a CART operator than an Oral Interpreter.

For those who aren't aware of CART it is a system by which speech is converted by a transcriptionist/typist into "real-time" text which can be read privately on an individual's computer screen (if there is only a single CART user) or displayed on a large screen (for multiple CART users). The added "bonus" of using CART for educational settings is that the entire "word-for-word" text transcription can be saved to a computer file and given to the CART user (generally a deaf/Hoh person) and used much the same way that hearing students may elect to using an audio recording device in class to record the entire spoken content of the class so that they can listen to it again at a future date :)

Hope that helps !

Just to make sure it is clear for anyone who finds this in the future.

CART is performed by (mostly) stenographers, more commonly known as court reporters. :P We are called writers, not typists or anything else. We write in shorthand using a phonetic breakdown of language. It is not an easy skill to learn and it is a challenge to keep up with.

In most educational settings the transcript of the class is provided to the student as a part of the contract for services.

The "real-time" for CART is true real time translation of the spoken word. It happens in the real time that the words are spoken. If this does not happen, then the consumer should make the appropriate people aware of the inadequacies of the service. This is the only way to ensure good providers are employed.

I had an oral terp for a deaf culture class one time where the professor was turned away from me because she had to terp for a deaf presenter. I didn't particularly care for it, since there is a delay in the mouth movements of the terp and the sound of the speaker's voice. I suppose it would be more useful for someone who does not use residual hearing in conjunction with their lipreading, or with someone who is well adjusted to the delay, but for me, meh. The next time it happened, I just sat right next to the professor, cranked up my aids, and watched her mouth from the side. It worked better.

Never had a oral terp or have I seen one in my life so far.

I asked a CODA terp who was asked at last min to oral terp for a deaf student in university. I asked her what that entailed. She said speaking clearly and gesticulating (sp?)

Never had a oral terp or have I seen one in my life so far.

I asked a CODA terp who was asked at last min to oral terp for a deaf student in university. I asked her what that entailed. She said speaking clearly and gesticulating (sp?)
Sometimes it includes paraphrasing for clarity, and facial expression to provide tone.

Some deaf clients know enough fingerspelling to request supplemental spelling for specific words (not Rochester method spelling everything, just occasional words or names).

It depends on the client.

Yes, you spelled gesticulating correctly. :)

I never met an oral terp but I am guessing oral terps paraphrase words to make them more understandable to deaf oralists?

I have used oral terps in conjunction with PSE. If I want the English I will ask for that. I know a few terps that do it REALLY well. Never used just an oral terp though

I attended Christmas party with a friend from her company and met this deaf oralist and his wife does oral interp for him while we get sign language interp, (some of us perfer straight english interp not ASL). It was first time I ever saw an oral interp for this man. Never thought of it till watched him, what an interest experience. :)

Back