oral, hearing aids and technology

paperclip

Reaction score
Hello! This question is specifically for hearing aid users!

I am currently in the process of getting new hearing aids – my phonak perseo are 8 years old. Growing up, I refused to use a telephone or participate in group meetings. My stress was greatly diminished if I just gave the phone to someone else or simply requested transcripts or notes. Even with my phonak's, I still refuse to use the phone or participate in group meetings.

Now that I’m getting new hearing aids, my audiologist is giving me a gentle push to try new technology – specifically FM systems, Tcoil, etc. I refused to consider them in college because I didn’t want to mess with a system that worked well for me (requesting note takers).

A part of me feels prematurely overwhelmed in so much that I don’t even want to try to consider this technology. If it works, I feel like it will potentially be more responsibility/stress for me, more time where I have to be “focused”. However, I am aware that I need to be more open to trying it.
So…for those oral hearing aid users folks, I have 2 questions.

1) Do you have a threshold that you don’t cross, regardless of technology? Like you never use a phone regardless of how much technology improves or participate in group meetings?
2) Have you tried new technology and been pleasantly surprised (and integrated it into your life) or disappointed?

My hearing loss goes from moderate with a quick slope down to profound at 1000 hz.

Thanks for your feedback!

Oh yeah. I tried new technologies and some are great, some are ok, and others a headache. It all depends on your personality and how much you are willing to do.
Most hearing aids have tcoil built in anyways so its up to you to use it or not. you dont need it allllll the time. I only use my t coil if I want to try to listen to music or sounds from my pc with my silhoutte cord. Or I am using VCO on videophones. I dont listen word for word on phones but use the phone sounds to know when to speak and if the terp is interpreting right.

those kind of technology are great. I have a streamer for my oticons and it has bluetooth but I don't use that feature much since I pretty much use that for music!

Hello! This question is specifically for hearing aid users!

I am currently in the process of getting new hearing aids – my phonak perseo are 8 years old. Growing up, I refused to use a telephone or participate in group meetings. My stress was greatly diminished if I just gave the phone to someone else or simply requested transcripts or notes. Even with my phonak's, I still refuse to use the phone or participate in group meetings.

Now that I’m getting new hearing aids, my audiologist is giving me a gentle push to try new technology – specifically FM systems, Tcoil, etc. I refused to consider them in college because I didn’t want to mess with a system that worked well for me (requesting note takers).

A part of me feels prematurely overwhelmed in so much that I don’t even want to try to consider this technology. If it works, I feel like it will potentially be more responsibility/stress for me, more time where I have to be “focused”. However, I am aware that I need to be more open to trying it.
So…for those oral hearing aid users folks, I have 2 questions.

1) Do you have a threshold that you don’t cross, regardless of technology? Like you never use a phone regardless of how much technology improves or participate in group meetings?
2) Have you tried new technology and been pleasantly surprised (and integrated it into your life) or disappointed?

My hearing loss goes from moderate with a quick slope down to profound at 1000 hz.

Thanks for your feedback!

I can relate...I HATE the phone and simply don't use it at work. Still not sure how I'll handle the phone calls or window work with customers but I'll cross that bridge later. I'm vocal about my heaing loss at work for a reason. I will say that technology has improved a lot so now I can use a cell phone with bluetooth and I really love it. For emergencies, it's really helped me knowing I have the ability to use the phone if I need to. Still can't use the phone at home though....

I don't think anything will help you with group meetings. I hate them with a red hot passion and can't hear a damn thing - including working "in groups." If note takers work fine for you, stick with that, but there's no reason not to embrace technology that could make your life more enjoyable and you don't need to let the folks at work know about the perks you'll gain. HA are for you and no one else...so listen up and be happy.

Laura

I am severe to profound in both ears so I get the not wanton to concentrate so hard. I used to use FM for class and iCom for auscultation with my stethoscope. I'm not in nursing anymore tho so I use neither now. I don't use the phone but I am getting a TTY and startin ASL so I can reach out to deaf clients as well as be able to communicate with ASL ising Dea friends:) I actually even hate hearing aids but I need to wear them to hear so I wear them most of the time. Dunno what your Audi has recommended but the icom (phonak) could at least help you with the cell phone if you want.

I'm personally not for one to change technology. I had my analog aids for 16 years.

It does sound like new aids would be better and you would be able to start using the phone etc. as Love Zebras says the icom or ComPilot is good with phonak aids.

I'm profoundly deaf and don't use the phone. I only FaceTime my parents but have never rang anybody else. I now have the Phonak Naidas.

You could start to use Skype video call first to friends/ family. That would start getting you use to it but you can also see their faces which makes like easier. Then eventually move to using a phone.

Back