Oral Deaf Orange County

Nesmuth

Reaction score
We are resurrecting the Oral Deaf Orange County Club known as “ODOC” in August 8, 2006 and use the meetup system to promote and manage it.

ODOC was a strong force in the mid 80's till early 90's. Betty Wiley ran the club until she was not able to run it any longer and no one else was available to run it.

The meetup system will be a major asset in resurrecting this club and we prefer the club meets in the first Tuesdays evenings each month.

The website to this group is http://deaf.meetup.com/263/ and this is where we all can be safe and happy about not being deaf enough!

Richard

Are you from Orange County or LA County?

I'm just curious; What is the point about having a Deaf group of the oral persuasion? Is it akin more to of a support group, or is it like a social thing, like a regular Deaf Club & gatherings?

Nesmuth said:
Orange County.

I see, I'm from about 45 min away from Anaheim, and most part of Northern OC.

Is it akin more to of a support group, or is it like a social thing, like a regular Deaf Club & gatherings?
Prolly a hybrid, but more of a Healthy Hearing social support group.
What pro-orals don't realize is that the reason clubs like this fizz out and aren't too sucessful, is b/c there's only so many times you can talk about The Newest Hearing Aid/ Other Hearing Technology before it becomes wicked dull. Also, how the heck are the oralists supposed to understand each other? Many oralists have hard to understand speech.....can't imagine what it's like having a whole big crowd of them!

deafdyke said:
Many oralists have hard to understand speech.....can't imagine what it's like having a whole big crowd of them!

I’ve been in rooms full of oral deafies many times. It sounds somewhat like a cat with it’s tail stuck in the garbage disposal. :mrgreen:

Eyeth said:
I'm just curious; What is the point about having a Deaf group of the oral persuasion? Is it akin more to of a support group, or is it like a social thing, like a regular Deaf Club & gatherings?

We'll start it off as a social group.

Richard

Lev, Yeah I know what you mean. Two of my friends have oral skills, but they are crap and very hard to undy b/c a) Liz has cleft palate and b) Kathryn has a wicked horrible Scots accent....can't even undy her!

Since the announcement a few days ago, the group has 5 members. It'll grow fast once we publicize it in the upcoming

06banner.gif

Yayyyyyyyy!

Richard

Isn't Orange County kinda affluent? Seems like most of the affluent places (eg Upper East Side of NYC) really promote oral ed....really sad :(

deafdyke said:
Isn't Orange County kinda affluent? Seems like most of the affluent places (eg Upper East Side of NYC) really promote oral ed....really sad :(

Orange County supports whatever language needs to be supported. If a student wants to learn orally, they can do that. Oral education should not be put down, it is a choice.

Nesmuth- I'll be in OC then, I'll see if I can make the meeting.

If a student wants to learn orally, they can do that. Oral education should not be put down, it is a choice.
You misunderstand me, I am NOT a Deaf Extremist. I think oral skills are a great tool to have. Hey, I'm very oral myself. That said, a lot of affluent oralists tend to not pick ASL, but have it forced on them by their parents.
I do know of kids who have been exposed to both ASL and speech, and who choose speech. There's nothing wrong with that. I just am against it when they are forced into it as the result of a "healthy normal" or "affluent overacheiver" mentality"

Back