Opposite of CI; Would you install an "Off-switch" to shut off your ears?When and Why?

Hear2much

Reaction score
I have a rare hearing condition that forces me to think of hearing differently from anyone I have ever known. I have significant hearing loss for very small bands of frequencies. What this means is that certain specific frequencies are not picked up by both of my ears. Like a dog whistle. Fortunately the frequencies do not match for both of my ears so as long as both of my ears are exposed to hear something, I will hear it almost perfectly. The hearing loss I hardly notice. My hearing tests quite well for speech etc. and I am a musician with great hearing ability for deciphering sounds. I can listen to a symphony and then write out pretty much all the music for each instrument even though it is happaning all at once, not an easy thing to do for most hearing musicians and I am thankful for these abilities.
Here is my problem though; this awkward condition causes an adjustment mechanism in my ears to try and compensate for the hearing loss and ends up interpereting sound INCORRECTLY for me which comes in the form of distortion and extra sounds that aren't there, especially with high volume levels. I can hear very quiet sounds very well, but put me in a restaurant with people talking and it is hard to have a conversation sometimes. In addition my ears generate sound (they put a very small very sensitive microphone in my ear) like a decompressing squeak. I have gone through a number of treatments to remedy this situation. My left ear is the only one that bothers me now and I am going to have a hearing aid made for it that will help.

I always hear ringing (tinitus). It drives me crazy and sometimes it is my ears making those sounds, sometimes I just hear it, but it's really there.

I hear extra sounds that resemble cellophaine being scrunched or a record needle being pulled off the record. Ask a hearing person or look at them (if you are deaf) to get an idea of how these sounds feel and a hearing person will tell you it is a horrible sound that makes you want to cover your ears. True. But I can't "cover my ears" because my ears are what makes these ridiculous noises. It has made my life hard to live as a hearing person. Sometimes I almost wish I were deaf.

I have not heard silence since the age of 20, (ten years ago) and I miss it, very, very much. I cannot listen to loud things like pianos without extra noises. So I cannot even enjoy my own playing as much as hearing people listening to me play the piano who get to hear every crisp note cleanly. I wear an earplug when I play piano but it isn't enough. Because of these things I wonder if I should call myself hearing impaired, it is.

I wish I had an "on/ off" switch for my ears. I would use it every day, to shower (showers and faucets cuase me a great deal of torment), to sleep :), when my girlfriend was telling me about her day ;) j/k baby

What do you all think about this?

When I was a teenager and kid I was....shall we say notorious for turning off my hearing aids on people when I got mad at them.

Earplugs?

Yeah.. I have every earplug you've ever heard of. They only reduce things and in my case the sounds are coming from my ears. From my ears, plugging them actually makes it louder.

I want a damn off switch!

I am losing my hearing in steps, and to be honest I would rather just get it over with and turn my ears off now. Without the HA's I can still hear some sounds but not enough to know what they are and it's so frustrating. :(

Interesting condition you have. I'm sorry to hear about what you have. Yeah, if I were you, an off-switch would be nice too.

I am so glad that nature found my on-off switch for my ears.

There are times I wish I had an on/off switch to turn my hearing off selectively. There are times when I become very sound sensitive and I need a quiet/less chaotic environment. Turning off the TV helps, but, I can't very well tell the dogs to stop barking or control every single sound in my environment. Another time I wish I could "turn off" my hear is when I'm sick.

It sounds like you have recruitment and hyperacusis ... both of which are actually fairly common for us Hoh/Deaf - both of which DO have treatments available (TRT etc) that help many people ... the hard part is finding someone who is skilled in TRT and the other treatments etc that you need.

I wonder if you were to get tubes placed in your ears if the internally generated noise would stop ... it may be worth discussing with an ENT & AuD. If it worked you could either keep the tubes (temp need to be replaced occassionally) or have the permanent procedure done to keep a small hole open - you would have to make sure that NO fluid got in the ear though - use ear plugs etc for baths/showers/swimming ... not put wax softeners/oils etc in the ear etc

Say, "Honey, please do the dishes." The off switch will come on. Works for my husband every time I tell him that.

My CI kind of doubles as that I guess - I can turn it off and I can't hear anything while it's off (I do rarely get tinnitus though, but it's not a huge factor).

It is helpful to have a mute button so to speak, especially when I'm trying to focus on something without distractions.

It sounds like you have recruitment and hyperacusis ... both of which are actually fairly common for us Hoh/Deaf - both of which DO have treatments available (TRT etc) that help many people ... the hard part is finding someone who is skilled in TRT and the other treatments etc that you need.

I wonder if you were to get tubes placed in your ears if the internally generated noise would stop ... it may be worth discussing with an ENT & AuD. If it worked you could either keep the tubes (temp need to be replaced occassionally) or have the permanent procedure done to keep a small hole open - you would have to make sure that NO fluid got in the ear though - use ear plugs etc for baths/showers/swimming ... not put wax softeners/oils etc in the ear etc

Me? I'm hearing. :)

I have moderate hearing loss in both my hears, though my left ear is the worst and has the hearing aid. I do have an on/off switch. It's called taking the aid out. Usually when I do that, my family gets that something is annoying me, and to stop until I put it back in. :) I hope you get better hun.

Back