Opinion on "cosmetics"

hohDougRN

Reaction score
I know cosmetics has some form of importance to everybody. I am interested in knowing everybody's point of view on this. I have often wondered at what lengths people have gone to "improve" their appearance or at least help them feel better about themselves and positive self image. Sometimes I have even laughed to myself at what "cosmetic" changes people have done, IE nose job/ other facial cosemetic surgery, botox, tummy tucks, breast augmentation, or other surgeries to help their apperance (in that person's point of view).

No, I have not had cosmetic surgery myself, but I guess I don't feel as critical anymore towards those who do. When I think about it, I guess I've spent exhorbitant amounts of money myself on "cosmetics" that in some way or another had positive affect on my self Image such as paying >4,000$ for braces for a great smile, >5,800$ to get "mini" power bte HA's, not to mention all those monthly gym membership fees. Now I want LASIX eye surgery.

OK now, with all that being said, WHAT IS YOUR OPINION of all this? I know there is lot of grey area when discussing cosmetics. As well as those that are quick to say "I don't need to do anything because if [they] have problem with me, that's their problem." Nobody can tell me they don't look in mirror and think of something they would like done, or are proud of something they have done for their appearance. Please share your opinions as well as things you have done for your own cosmetic appearance.

Reminder also: Please be courtious and respectfull of those who give their opinions and share experiences. What may not be important to you, may in fact be VERY important to them. If you have negative comment to that person, IM them about it please.

This is not saying nobody can post a negative opinion, or experience - just make sure this is not directed toward a particular person.

-Mods please remove those comments pertaining to this, thanks.

I don't really put HA's or braces in the same category as cosmetic surgery. While braces do have a certain cosmetic effect, it is also done to correct misalignment in the teeth and jaws that can lead to other health problems. I see orthodontics as more of a functional treatment. The same with HA's. Functional treatment.
And working out definatley provides health benefits other than just improving appearance.

I spend a heck of a lot less than I did in my 20's for cosmetics. Not that I care less about whether I am presenting myself in a manner that shows that I care enough about myself to make an effort to "put my best foot forward", but just that with age, one becomes more comfortable with who one is and tends to put less emphasis on the outside of things--both in regard to themself and to others.

Cosmetic surgery? I kind of see it as an attempt to treat the outside to correct what is not right on the inside.

I don't really spend that much on cosmetics other than a particular brand of face soap that's a little pricey (maybe 8 dollars a bottle). Definitely no more than $100.00 a year on makeup, but that's being extremely generous in my estimate.

One of the things I'm most grateful for are my straightened teeth. My parents had a hard to affording my braces, but they have really helped my self esteem and in the long run will be worth it from a structural point.

My weakness is my hair. I get highlights and a hair cut at least 3x a year and it's so pricey. But, I don't trust any other stylist and I pay the going rate for my area. I'm just starting to regret the decision to start highlighting now because it costs so much.

cosmetics

I know cosmetics has some form of importance to everybody. I am interested in knowing everybody's point of view on this. I have often wondered at what lengths people have gone to "improve" their appearance or at least help them feel better about themselves and positive self image. Sometimes I have even laughed to myself at what "cosmetic" changes people have done, IE nose job/ other facial cosemetic surgery, botox, tummy tucks, breast augmentation, or other surgeries to help their apperance (in that person's point of view).

No, I have not had cosmetic surgery myself, but I guess I don't feel as critical anymore towards those who do. When I think about it, I guess I've spent exhorbitant amounts of money myself on "cosmetics" that in some way or another had positive affect on my self Image such as paying >4,000$ for braces for a great smile, >5,800$ to get "mini" power bte HA's, not to mention all those monthly gym membership fees. Now I want LASIX eye surgery.

OK now, with all that being said, WHAT IS YOUR OPINION of all this? I know there is lot of grey area when discussing cosmetics. As well as those that are quick to say "I don't need to do anything because if [they] have problem with me, that's their problem." Nobody can tell me they don't look in mirror and think of something they would like done, or are proud of something they have done for their appearance. Please share your opinions as well as things you have done for your own cosmetic appearance.
Well, first of all i am thick with a black bloodline, so i'm bigger in a couple of different places,in my physeek:) i've dealt with low self esteem for years with a lack of acceptance of myself, i use to wear alot of makeup because i could never accept myself, i thought if i could do this or that maybe people would accept me more. but now that i am alot older, i really try and work ;out regularly, i have gone through extensive positive reinforcement of accepting myself the way God has made me, Now, i wear very natural makeup, and try and exercise, and present myself confidentally, i've never really had the money to do anything cosmetically, i think alot of it is peer pressure, and lack of self acceptance. I have also worked in the beauty industry, and understand why people do what they do. alot of it is self esteem issues, of oneself, and peer pressure. i keep myself natural, try to maintain a good attitude about myself, and don't accept anything negative, i have alot more confidenced of who i am. so that has personally changed my view.
EsthersCrown*****

There's nothing wrong with getting braces, hearing aids, or eye-surgery... etc.

What I'm more concerned about is people who wear too much makeup. I've noticed that those who wear makeup too much end up looking ugly without makeup. I've seen some girls at NTID/RIT who wore so much makeup that when I saw them without makeup, it scared the hell out of me. Of course, a few of them stopped wearing makeup and it helped them look better later on.

It's like a lot of those movie stars. Some of them looked good in the past before they became celebrities. After wearing makeup so much and for so long, they now look very ugly without makeup. :(

"No pain, no gain" Everybody wants to look good for many reason. We shouldn't feel ashamed of it.

Well, it depend on difference comestic surgeries.

I only support comestic surgery to correct people´s body like nose, ears, head, eyes etc.

I do not support comestic surgery to improve something like wrinkles, breast silkon, etc.

I don't see dental work, HA's, and eye correction as cosmetic surgery. I see cosmetic surgery as things like breast lifts, tummy tucks, botox, and other "enhancements" of the body.

Makeup I generally don't wear unless it's a special occasion. I seriously don't get people who wear so much. Like others said, wearing too much for a long period of time can make you look ugly. Plus it can really damage your skin. Look at the stuff that's in most cosmetic products nowadays.

There's nothing wrong with getting braces, hearing aids, or eye-surgery... etc.

What I'm more concerned about is people who wear too much makeup. I've noticed that those who wear makeup too much end up looking ugly without makeup. I've seen some girls at NTID/RIT who wore so much makeup that when I saw them without makeup, it scared the hell out of me. Of course, a few of them stopped wearing makeup and it helped them look better later on.

It's like a lot of those movie stars. Some of them looked good in the past before they became celebrities. After wearing makeup so much and for so long, they now look very ugly without makeup. :(

LOL!

Oh, I see now....y'all r talking about war paint! :giggle:

Back