Opinion needed on a peircing

Lil_country_gal

Reaction score
My cousin is sending me her plugs so i can gauge my ears but my parents think it looks so ugly and i'm just doing it cause i must have low self image. they think it's gonna compltly disfigure my face and it's not reversible. I'm not thinking of going terribley big just big enough to say stick a pencil through. so.....

what are your opinions on this matter?

And if you have gauged ears how can i convince my parents?

At this time, I have both my ears stretched to 0g, which is just a little over 8mm. First off reason with your parents. Explain that it is just the current trend and it will pass. Also, correct you parents. Your ears will heal up. Anything larger than 0g will not heal, but rest assured, anything smaller, will not only shrink, but also close up. Let your parents know there are ways of hiding it, such as flesh colored plugs that even allow you to wear smaller gauge rings. If your parents are that worried about your appearence, this should set their fears at rest. As far as their assertion that you have low self esteem. That's just laughable. I stretched my ears simply because I wanted to try something unique, and that's still the reason I won't take them out just yet. If you find your parents unpersuadable, I'd say just do it. its your body and you're old enough to make your own decisions, especially about something as miniscule as this.

If you end up going through with it let me know. I can even send you some different gauges if you need. Let me know how the situation with your parents goes.

cental34 said:
...If you find your parents unpersuadable, I'd say just do it. its your body and you're old enough to make your own decisions, especially about something as miniscule as this...
According to her bio, she is only 15 years old, so I don't think you should recommend to her to disobey her parents.

I am all for looking different but I happen to think that large holes in ears are extremely ugly. I don't understand what is pretty about the skin streched beyond limits, making it look like a thin straps of jerky meat and just but gaping hole in the middle.
Also I've wondered about the safety - what if something catches in and pulls the remining skin? ouchhhhh.

I can understand little things like nose, brow, lip. tongue, belly button, nipples even but gaping holes in ears- no.

As for 15 y. old getting any body alterations - my advice is WAIT. You may think you like it- NOW,
but two years from now you may change your opinion but the scars will be there forever.
You are not going to like it if you will expect to have nice smooth skin everywhere....
a scar here, a scar there, there's the scar scar here's scar scar,
scarsy ugly scars everywhere...

Fuzzy

15 yrs old hummmmmmmmmmm, Let me tell ya. I am a single mom and I wouldnt let my son go extreme that far. Just limit. As for right now I wouldnt let him do anything with his body. Not til he is 18 yrs old. :giggle: But if you are living with your parents, well the rules applied to them and you must obey their rules til you are 18. Rules are rules. Stick with it. I can understand you hated it but think about this what if your kids want to go extreme worse then you are right now and would you allow them or would you want them to obey your rules in your house?? I always say those thing to my son. But maybe some kids may not want a kids someday.

But remmy this the scar will always be there for the rest of your life. The only way to get rid of the scar is by surgery and that cost $$$$.

Listen to your Mother, right or wrong (in your mind, that is). One of the ugliest fads to come down the pike as far as I'm concerned but whatever floats yer boat!

I think a 15 year old is perfectly capable of making decisions about her own appearence. If you happened to be here parent, would you pick out her clothes for her? Tell her how to do her hair? Tell her she can't wear make up?

Again, stretchings your lobes is not permanent. Take a piercing out for long enough, it will close up. It is not a tattoo. And how do you know she'll grow out of it and dislike it in the future? My family said I'd grow out of liking punk rock quicly. Almost six years later, I still love it.

Parents are not always right in the decisions they make for us. And judging by your parent's excuses, I'd guess they're nothing more than worried how you appearence would reflect back on them by their peers. 15 years old is a perfectly old enough age to think for yourself and make your own decisions. I'm sure if they'd know the facts and did a little thinking past themselves they'd be more than willing.

Again, stretchings your lobes is not permanent. Take a piercing out for long enough, it will close up.

Well consider this:

""Maximum size that will heal up (otherwise known as the ‘growing up’ complex)

This question pops up quite regularly, and unfortunately, the answer is extremely vague. Everyone’s body is different, and therefore everyone’s lobes will shrink up to a different point. Generally speaking, 2 gauge is widely considered the “point of no return” - where your lobes become significantly less likely to heal even to the size of a standard earring.

Stretching is not an exact science and should not be taken lightly. There is never any guarantee that your ears will shrink back up. If you are going to stretch, please make sure that you will be comfortable at that size as an old wrinkly person, and with having your children and grandchildren ask you why you have huge holes in your ears. ""

http://onetribe.nu/catalog/stretching.php

I suggest anyone who is considering doing ear gauging first to do enough research before commiting to it.

Parents are not always right in the decisions they make for us. And judging by your parent's excuses, I'd guess they're nothing more than worried how you appearence would reflect back on them by their peers. 15 years old is a perfectly old enough age to think for yourself and make your own decisions.

Lolololololol.....

Fuzzy

cental34 said:
I think a 15 year old is perfectly capable of making decisions about her own appearence. If you happened to be here parent, would you pick out her clothes for her? Tell her how to do her hair? Tell her she can't wear make up?
On that note that's what my parents do they think by letting me do this i'm gonna become full goth sorry no i do not look good in black lol and that's what i've been trying to tell my parents i honestly don't think i'm gonna go past and 8 so why freak cause it will go back

cental34 said:
I think a 15 year old is perfectly capable of making decisions about her own appearence.
In your opinion you might think she is old enough but under the law she is a minor and she lives with her parents, so she must obey their rules.

If you happened to be here parent, would you pick out her clothes for her? Tell her how to do her hair? Tell her she can't wear make up?
I would have veto power in her decisions.

Parents are not always right in the decisions they make for us.
So? You are not her parent. You are not responsible for her well-being. You really shouldn't encourage her to rebel against her parents' decisions. If you want to give her suggestions for appealing to her parents, that's fine. But you are really out of line telling her to do whatever she wants regardless of her parents' wishes.

If I counted them right, I have 6 friends that have their ears gauged, with the biggest being 00 gauge. 4 boys, and 2 girls, and the girls have the plugs with the holes in the middle to where you can wear regular earrings. I wanted to get my ears gauged a while back, but I dont even have my ears pierced, and although I like the look, piercings arent really my thing, im more of a tattoo person. Not to mention, now I work for the government, and interact with a variety of active duty military, and retirees on a daily basis, and they frown upon these kind of styles. Also, I believe it might state somewhere in the dress code that this is not allowed. My Deaf friend has his ears gauged to an 8, and has the clear plugs. When most people notice his ears gauged, they usually notice his earmolds and HA's at the same time, and ask him stupid questions like "Can you still hear when you wear those?" as if the "If you're deaf, why do you wear HA's?" isnt bad enough.... :lol:

Audiofuzzy said:
Again, stretchings your lobes is not permanent. Take a piercing out for long enough, it will close up.

Well consider this:

""Maximum size that will heal up (otherwise known as the ‘growing up’ complex)

This question pops up quite regularly, and unfortunately, the answer is extremely vague. Everyone’s body is different, and therefore everyone’s lobes will shrink up to a different point. Generally speaking, 2 gauge is widely considered the “point of no return” - where your lobes become significantly less likely to heal even to the size of a standard earring.

Stretching is not an exact science and should not be taken lightly. There is never any guarantee that your ears will shrink back up. If you are going to stretch, please make sure that you will be comfortable at that size as an old wrinkly person, and with having your children and grandchildren ask you why you have huge holes in your ears. ""

http://onetribe.nu/catalog/stretching.php

I suggest anyone who is considering doing ear gauging first to do enough research before commiting to it.

Parents are not always right in the decisions they make for us. And judging by your parent's excuses, I'd guess they're nothing more than worried how you appearence would reflect back on them by their peers. 15 years old is a perfectly old enough age to think for yourself and make your own decisions.

Lolololololol.....

Fuzzy

My knowledge of stretching is based on the fact I can probably named 20 close friends of mine right off the bat who have stretched, let closed up, and stretched again. I know people who have stretched up to an inch and a half.

Lil_country_gal said:
On that note that's what my parents do they think by letting me do this i'm gonna become full goth sorry no i do not look good in black lol and that's what i've been trying to tell my parents i honestly don't think i'm gonna go past and 8 so why freak cause it will go back

8g is absolutely nothing to fret over. I had my ears pieced at 10. 8g is approximately 3.2 millimeters, which would no doubt close up when you're ready to take them out. In fact, when I had 8g in, you could barely notice them.

Lil_country_gal said:
I'm also thinking if the don't let me get my cousins i will create my own with clay

Bad idea. Plugs are created with specific sizes, lengths, and materials, and are made for the purpose of jewelry. Making your own would be not only a hard task, but it would also create a health risk.

Have you considered alternatives? Such as illusion plugs? They are 16g (standard piercing size), but the ends appear to be 0g.

Like I said I have several old smaller gauges I'd be willing to sterilize and send you if you wanted. I even have some tapers I swiped from my roommate for 6g and 8g.

Reba said:
In your opinion you might think she is old enough but under the law she is a minor and she lives with her parents, so she must obey their rules.

Who makes laws? Just other people with opinions. Regardless of what the law says concerning parental rights, there is no law forbidding her from gauging her ears, and there are no legal penalities for her doing so. And to be quite honest, I think its something her parents would not even notice, as stretching is a slow, gradual process, and the gauge she's stated she wishes to stretch is not all that larger than standard 16g.

So? You are not her parent. You are not responsible for her well-being. You really shouldn't encourage her to rebel against her parents' decisions. If you want to give her suggestions for appealing to her parents, that's fine. But you are really out of line telling her to do whatever she wants regardless of her parents' wishes.

I'm simply stating my opinion. I've always been a rebellious individual, and one to question authority. I'm encouraging her to think for herself. You think that's out of line, then whatever.

cental34 said:
...Like I said I have several old smaller gauges I'd be willing to sterilize and send you if you wanted. ..
Another bad idea. A 15-year-old should never give her home address to any adult that she has just met on-line.

Really Cental, I don't understand why you are trying to undermine the authority of the parents of this child. You are old enough to know better. :nono:

cental34 said:
... I'm encouraging her to think for herself. ..
No, you were not just encouraging her to think for herself. You were encouraging her to take an action, to disobey her parents. That is very different.

Reba said:
Another bad idea. A 15-year-old should never give her home address to any adult that she has just met on-line.

Yep. Parent's lock your doors. :smoking: Don't take candy from strangers.

Really Cental, I don't understand why you are trying to undermine the authority of the parents of this child. You are old enough to know better. :nono:

I'm 5 years older than her. You consider her a child? I'd personally be offended by that statement. I can't count how many times I heard "oh you're just a baby" when I told people I was turning 20 this past October.

Reba said:
No, you were not just encouraging her to think for herself. You were encouraging her to take an action, to disobey her parents. That is very different.

I'm encouraging her to do something she wants to do, regardless of what other people say or think. She understands the consequences and risks of her actions. Her parents are expecting her to behave a certain way and be the kind of person they want her to be, and live within their set boundaries. That is something I disagree with.

Back